Just Took the AFOQT... Thoughts.

bnd3672

Established Member
I just took the AFOQT this morning, and figured I would share thoughts with any future testees (not testes, perverts) or other interested parties while it's fresh in my mind.

I used the Cliffnotes Military Flight Aptitude Tests book to study. Overall, I think it did a decent job on preparing me for the test. More details by section to follow.

Verbal Analogies: Analogies are analogies, easy when you know the words, hard when you don't. The majority of the analogies on the test were easy, some, very difficult. The book I used to study, overall, was not effective for this section. However, I don't feel like any book would be. If I were to have added weeks of learning new vocabulary to my test preparation, I may or may not have done better. Time was tight, a one minute warning was called when I had ~6 analogies left (the more difficult ones). Many test takers were working up until the last second. I think this was my overall weakest section on the test.

Arithmetic Reasoning: I felt like this section was very much on par with the review in the book, and actually easier than the reviews I found online. Exposure to different types of problems and the ability to do simple arithmetic quickly (manually, no calculators!) is the key to success in this section. The time provided was more than adequate, and I had time to go back and look over answers. Most testees finished before the time limit, several scrambled until the last second. I feel this was one of my strongest sections.

Word Knowledge: Very much like analogies - you know it or you don't. I feel like I have a broad vernacular, but you can only know so many words. The time given in this section seems to be more generous than the analogies section. This is probably because there is no analysis required in determining relationships between words. I feel like I did OK, but not phenomenal.

Math Knowledge: I suppose the book provided an adequate amount of preparation for this subtest. However, I would recommend using more sources. There are several obscure mathematic principles that you learned in the seventh grade and have since forgotten that are tested in this section. Simple to modest algebra (nothing advanced), geometry, exponents, scientific notation, etc. Time seemed to be adequate for those who were most prepared - others scrambled to finish. I'm comfortable with my performance in this section.

Instrument Comprehension: The book I used was good for providing directions for this section, and some decent practice. The actual pictures on the test are MUCH better than those in the book. This section is very easy as long as you know what you're doing. If you're familiar with the concept being tested prior to test day, there is plenty of time to finish. If you don't know what you're doing, there's a time crunch. I did well on this section.

Block Counting: Ouch. There's not a lot of time to do this. People's stray marks in the books don't help. I lost focus in this section and performed poorly. This was very easy for me during practice, but not on the test. The book I used to review said to only count blocks that touched on a flat surface, a review I did online said to count blacks that touched corners. I was stupid and didn't ask the proctor to clarify, and like a true genius split the difference, answering some questions one way and others a different way. The key to this is being quick and knowing whether to count blocks that touch diagonally! However easy this subtest may be, the general consensus during break was that nobody did well on this section.

Table Reading: The book was only good for directions in this section. The test didn't include any of the data tables, only x,y coordinate charts. However, unlike the book that had 5x5 tables, the test table was 34x34, and had very small print. During timed practice I finished this section comfortably, however the 34x34 changed this. I'd recommend practicing this section with a large homemade table with very small print. I'm not sure if anybody finished this section in the time allotted.

Aviation Information: Again, you know it or you don't. The book I used to review shows you what type of problems to expect. However, there is so much aviation information out there that you can't expect to memorize the problems in the book and perform well on the test. Use many private pilot materials to prepare for this, or better yet, get a pilot's license. The test asks very basic aviation questions, so there's no need to study information that would be expected of an instrument or commercial pilot. Most people finished this section in time. I'm an experienced pilot, and did a quick review of my private pilot textbook to prepare for this. I don't believe I missed any answers.

General Science: Another section where you know it or you don't. I'm a business major that paid no attention in science class, but still did OK. The questions are from material you would have learned in middle or high school. The review in the book I used to prepare was semi-helpful, but like aviation information and vocabulary, there's SO much out there that you can be tested on... There was plenty of time for this section.

Hidden Figures and Rotated Blocks: The book does a good job in preparing you for these tests as far as knowing what to expect. I'm not sure if practice makes perfect, but I found myself performing MUCH better on the test than I did in practice. It seemed like most people finished this subtest with time to spare.

The biggest factor for overall comfort in test taking is TIME. The lack of time can make it a stressful experience, in all of the subtests. I highly recommend taking TIMED practice tests before going to take your AFOQT.

I'll let you all know the results when they come out...

Looking forward to serving with you all,

Mike

bnd3672

Established Member
OTS. Unfortunately I figured out I wanted to do this a little too late - I graduate in May. I would have loved to have gone through the ROTC program.

I've spent a lot of time, money, and effort pursuing a civilian aviation career; but have recently grown to appreciate the significance of military service. To me there's more significance in a life of military service than flying passengers from point A to B on an airliner.

I'm applying for a pilot slot. I realize it's very competitive, and if I don't get one I'll try again. However it's my main focus to serve in whatever form I can, so if several attempts fail, I'll start applying for non-rated slots.

Last edited:

Brian97vobra

Established Member
I'm trying to get in the Navy as a pilot. Already submitted my package last month. Should find out if i get pro rec'd in another 2 weeks or so...
BTW i'm flying for an airline now and it does suck. The military is the way to go.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Congrats:beer:. I'm delaying mine until next fall so i can have as much time to study for it because i'm going for a rated slot also. I've taken a couple of practice test and i really need to work on my verbal analogies. Also, here's another really great tip... DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING BLANK BECAUSE WRONG ANSWERS WON'T BE COUNTED AGAINST YOU.

acrod

Established Member
a buddy of mine just took his and should be hearing from AFPC if he has a pilot slot sometime next month. I really wish I would have gone that route but I have a RN degree and they don't have any option to go line officer or pilot with a degree like that. Good luck by the way.

AlanSVT

Established Member
Another option for you is to try the Army.

Now all we have to offer is rotor wings. To start off with but once you get up in ranks you can cross train to fixed wing aircraft.

Just a thought.

Alan

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Do you know what the max age for pilot training is in the Marines? I just turned 29 and will be finishing up my B.S.E.E. in three semseters and am thinking about going back into the military.

Currently you must be over age 18 and commission before you are 27.5 years old. Just for clarification, you must accept your commission 180 days before your 28th birthday. However exceptional candidates can receive waivers for this requirement. Best advice if you are serious, go and talk to a recruiter more specifically an Officer Selection Officer (OSO, pronounced like the spanish word for Bear) as soon as possible.

bnd3672

Established Member
The results are in.

I pretty much received the scores I expected. I know SVTP is made up of 99% of folks who are Einstein reincarnated, but bear with me here.

Pilot - 98
Navigator - 93
Academic Aptitude - 87
Verbal - 62 (Ouch!)
Quantitative - 95

Scores are good overall, although that verbal score is an eyesore. Here's to hoping everything else outweighs it! :beer:

saleensc281

Established Member
If you guys want to fly helos, I would look into the Warrent program. Most Warrents in the Army get a lot more flying time then the officers do. The program and test is less strigent as well from what I know and have heard. Just something to think about.

convert03cobra

Established Member
I did 4 years active duty Air Force as enlisted. I got out in 2004 and now work as a contractor. I've made up my mind that I want to go back in as an officer since I now have my BS degree. It will actually be a pretty good pay cut for me but I really miss the military way of life. I hope I can go AF Officer as I hear its pretty tough to get in these days.

bnd3672

Established Member
I did 4 years active duty Air Force as enlisted. I got out in 2004 and now work as a contractor. I've made up my mind that I want to go back in as an officer since I now have my BS degree. It will actually be a pretty good pay cut for me but I really miss the military way of life. I hope I can go AF Officer as I hear its pretty tough to get in these days.

It's very competitive. Here are numbers from the most recent OTS selection.

Pilot: 35/323 - 11%
CSO: 66/302 - 22%
ABM: 16/171 - 9%
Total: 117/796 - 15%

I hear it's even tougher for the non-rated selections (not sure what you're going for).

We're in the same boat, good luck!

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I just took the AFOQT this morning, and figured I would share thoughts with any future testees (not testes, perverts) or other interested parties while it's fresh in my mind.

I used the Cliffnotes Military Flight Aptitude Tests book to study. Overall, I think it did a decent job on preparing me for the test. More details by section to follow.

Verbal Analogies: Analogies are analogies, easy when you know the words, hard when you don't. The majority of the analogies on the test were easy, some, very difficult. The book I used to study, overall, was not effective for this section. However, I don't feel like any book would be. If I were to have added weeks of learning new vocabulary to my test preparation, I may or may not have done better. Time was tight, a one minute warning was called when I had ~6 analogies left (the more difficult ones). Many test takers were working up until the last second. I think this was my overall weakest section on the test.

Arithmetic Reasoning: I felt like this section was very much on par with the review in the book, and actually easier than the reviews I found online. Exposure to different types of problems and the ability to do simple arithmetic quickly (manually, no calculators!) is the key to success in this section. The time provided was more than adequate, and I had time to go back and look over answers. Most testees finished before the time limit, several scrambled until the last second. I feel this was one of my strongest sections.

Word Knowledge: Very much like analogies - you know it or you don't. I feel like I have a broad vernacular, but you can only know so many words. The time given in this section seems to be more generous than the analogies section. This is probably because there is no analysis required in determining relationships between words. I feel like I did OK, but not phenomenal.

Math Knowledge: I suppose the book provided an adequate amount of preparation for this subtest. However, I would recommend using more sources. There are several obscure mathematic principles that you learned in the seventh grade and have since forgotten that are tested in this section. Simple to modest algebra (nothing advanced), geometry, exponents, scientific notation, etc. Time seemed to be adequate for those who were most prepared - others scrambled to finish. I'm comfortable with my performance in this section.

Instrument Comprehension: The book I used was good for providing directions for this section, and some decent practice. The actual pictures on the test are MUCH better than those in the book. This section is very easy as long as you know what you're doing. If you're familiar with the concept being tested prior to test day, there is plenty of time to finish. If you don't know what you're doing, there's a time crunch. I did well on this section.

Block Counting: Ouch. There's not a lot of time to do this. People's stray marks in the books don't help. I lost focus in this section and performed poorly. This was very easy for me during practice, but not on the test. The book I used to review said to only count blocks that touched on a flat surface, a review I did online said to count blacks that touched corners. I was stupid and didn't ask the proctor to clarify, and like a true genius split the difference, answering some questions one way and others a different way. The key to this is being quick and knowing whether to count blocks that touch diagonally! However easy this subtest may be, the general consensus during break was that nobody did well on this section.

Table Reading: The book was only good for directions in this section. The test didn't include any of the data tables, only x,y coordinate charts. However, unlike the book that had 5x5 tables, the test table was 34x34, and had very small print. During timed practice I finished this section comfortably, however the 34x34 changed this. I'd recommend practicing this section with a large homemade table with very small print. I'm not sure if anybody finished this section in the time allotted.

Aviation Information: Again, you know it or you don't. The book I used to review shows you what type of problems to expect. However, there is so much aviation information out there that you can't expect to memorize the problems in the book and perform well on the test. Use many private pilot materials to prepare for this, or better yet, get a pilot's license. The test asks very basic aviation questions, so there's no need to study information that would be expected of an instrument or commercial pilot. Most people finished this section in time. I'm an experienced pilot, and did a quick review of my private pilot textbook to prepare for this. I don't believe I missed any answers.

General Science: Another section where you know it or you don't. I'm a business major that paid no attention in science class, but still did OK. The questions are from material you would have learned in middle or high school. The review in the book I used to prepare was semi-helpful, but like aviation information and vocabulary, there's SO much out there that you can be tested on... There was plenty of time for this section.

Hidden Figures and Rotated Blocks: The book does a good job in preparing you for these tests as far as knowing what to expect. I'm not sure if practice makes perfect, but I found myself performing MUCH better on the test than I did in practice. It seemed like most people finished this subtest with time to spare.

The biggest factor for overall comfort in test taking is TIME. The lack of time can make it a stressful experience, in all of the subtests. I highly recommend taking TIMED practice tests before going to take your AFOQT.

I'll let you all know the results when they come out...

Looking forward to serving with you all,

Mike

Just got back from taking it. Overall, the above is quite accurate. Time is the big factor. I was taking it with two other guys who were visibly upset with the time factor.

I used three study guides (Arco, Cliff & Peterson's). They prep you pretty well, but like said above, there is just so much stuff you can be tested on, it really depends on the questions they ask you.

The table section was BRUTAL. I knew going in that it was going to be pressed for time. 40 questions in 3 minutes. I finished it, but the lady said "put your pencils DOWN", and I was bubbling in the last one. I was burning through it pretty good. The two guys next to me said they had several answers left unanswered. Practice this! DO what the OP said...but, don't use a straight edge. They made absolutely sure that we didn't use one, as I had folded my scratch sheet up, and they said I couldn't.

Overall, the test is mentally exhausting, but very straight forward. The practice tests that I took were a lot more "busy" than the actual test.

TBAS is next!

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Just got my scores in after taking my TBAS test.

Scores:
Pilot: 99
Navigator: 97
ACAD Apt: 91
Verbal: 70 (as said above....OUCH)
Quantitative: 96

Again...good luck to those out there. I just got back from the TBAS. I thought I did miserably.

TBAS/AFOQT combined to give my PCSM: 96

Here's hoping I get the pilot slot!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread