Just placed an order for an Ultima RS

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Wow. That thing is gonna be insane!

I bet it was nerve wracking getting it unpacked and out of the box.

To say the least! I used an engine hoist through a rear wheel well with a tow strap to the frame, while four friends handled the front. We walked it sideways and onto the chassis dolly. Dicey though!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Short answer, no there isn't. Long answer is that the good thing about a positive displacement blower is that the power is very linear, and tons of people these days have 1000hp street cars that can be driven with nice manners. I actually prefer this route to a turbo setup because boost with turbos can build fast and make for abrupt power delivery. In that case you just have to make sure you're pointed straight! There's actually an older Ultima GTR running around with a Nelson Racing Engines TT setup making 1750hp. At that point you really need a serious tire.

OMG! That is such a really nice car/setup. I can only imagine how much fun it must be to drive. Talk about pumping adrenalin!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations on finally getting it. Yeah, I can imagine it was like a kid opening Christmas presents. LOL. I'm really looking forward to seeing pics and videos when the work is done. Do you have a target date?

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Will this utilize the same ECUs as the zr1 since you are using the lt5?

Short answer, yes. It uses the E99 ECU and fuel control module from the ZR1, but it comes unlocked. You just buy credits from HP tuners and you're in... no need to send it off for them to unlock it.

Congratulations on finally getting it. Yeah, I can imagine it was like a kid opening Christmas presents. LOL. I'm really looking forward to seeing pics and videos when the work is done. Do you have a target date?

Thank you sir! I hoping for mid of Spring 2021 at the latest. I plan on working on it every single day and full weekends.

Whats the running weight once the lt5 is in?

I'm not 100% sure on the curb weight because people's builds vary greatly. Most people do LS7s and I believe those are right at 2200lbs. The LT5 plus intercooler, piping, and water probably add 100lbs to that. But then my build is going to save weight in other areas- wheels are probably lighter than stock, the seats and runners will be lighter, my pedal assembly is lighter, no audio system, no analog gauges, me running a lithium battery, etc etc. So probably right around 2200lbs/1000kg with 1000hp. It is basically a go kart with fiberglass body.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Now the sh1t gets real!
Absolutely impressed and looking forward to the progress.
What trans/transaxle?
Does AEM have a plug in for the LT5 wiring harness?
-J

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
After 10 months and two days from initial deposit, it's HERE! It was quite the task unloading it from a shipping container, onto a flatbed tow truck, then to the ground, but it got done.

It's my first time seeing one of these things in person and it is TINY. I just have to inventory all the parts received and then I'm going to get to building. I'm like a kid on Christmas opening all the boxes with carbon fiber pieces, huge brake kits, intercooler stuff, etc. Check out some photos:

View attachment 1665370

View attachment 1665371

View attachment 1665372

View attachment 1665373

On a chassis dolly tucked away for the first night. I had to put my Boxer Lincoln in there for a pic though ;).
View attachment 1665374

The headers are insanely nice and the welds are pure art. I had to put them on the engine just to see...
View attachment 1665375

Frame that picture of wigglebutt in the seat and hang it in the garage! It will make you smile for decades to come.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I thought you were talking about a Nissan. Then I was like, shouldn't it be Altima?

Oh I'm sure the eyebrows are going to raise on a lot of people when they ask what it is and I say "Ultima" and they think the same o_O.

Now the sh1t gets real!
Absolutely impressed and looking forward to the progress.
What trans/transaxle?
Does AEM have a plug in for the LT5 wiring harness?
-J

Thanks man! The transaxle is a Porsche G97.50 which was used on 997 911 Turbo cars. I did put a wavetrac limited slip in it though because surprisingly they have an open diff from the factory, though they are configured for AWD.

I'm not aware of any real aftermarket plug and play/standalone solution for the LT5 since it is both direct injection with supplemental port injection. Holley just released support for the LT1 and LT4, but those again are both just direct injection. My biggest concern was just being able to tune the stock GM ECU and thankfully HP tuners supports it fully.

Frame that picture of wigglebutt in the seat and hang it in the garage! It will make you smile for decades to come.

Oh for sure. I have no doubt there will be lots of photos of them with the car throughout the build and I'll have plenty to choose from to frame.

Last edited:

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Wait, OP is this vehicle awd? Is it street legal?

It's mid engine, rear wheel drive. The transaxle is in front of the engine on a 911, so in my scenario, the transaxle is flipped 180 degrees, so it can be behind the engine and the gears still propel the car forward. The output shaft that would power the front wheels will do nothing now.

It is street legal too. Just like a Factory Five replica car, etc. You fill out some DMV forms, they inspect it- (proper headlights/tail lights, seatbelts, etc) and make sure the drivetrain did not come out of a stolen vehicle (if using used parts).

~1000 hp at the wheels @ 2200 pounds?

Goodness, that’s scary stuff.

Yeah it's a death trap for sure if it isn't respected.

What will you do for insurance?

Grundy collector insurance covers these things for an agreed value. I have heard coverage for these is typically cheaper because the owners will be doing all the labor if something goes wrong. It isn't like you take it to a dealer or a collision shop. I've yet to shop quotes though until it's done. I do know that banks won't even touch these things as kits, but I assume they will when they're built and registered.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Did you check out the radical rxc? Those are also street legal, doors go up, light, super rare and I think has a targa top..

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
So probably right around 2200lbs/1000kg with 1000hp.
script>

Users who are viewing this thread