Just picked up my first Fox Body...finally

matt5058

Established Member
I need to get my various threads updated but I’ve got some nice recent updates to the Fox.

Added cupholders, which seemed like a natural next step after getting the Apple car play setup.
A46C8728-21BC-48D6-91B9-684FA378EF5B.jpeg

I also had the windows tinted (had a shop do that, because I wasn’t going to try that myself). Update is after me playing golf stupidly:

Somewhat related, I also upgraded the lighting in my garage recently (and got the center body moulding stripe back on):
66D05EA6-B63D-4158-B45E-C5E81A88A36C.jpeg
918CB5C4-5374-4180-A5E0-B53AE31637FF.jpeg

I still need to get the letters added to the rear bumper cover and fix the paint around the reverse light on the passenger side.

2200D6A0-D666-4F56-BED6-9FAF7F6ED2FE.jpeg

In other news, I’m now mostly brainstorming and weighing options on what I want to do next. I am torn between getting the stereo finished, getting tires and adding the pony wheels, or finishing the suspension (front LCAs, lowering springs, and caster camber plates). Decisions, decisions…

matt5058

Established Member
I wish I had more substantial updates to report on the Fox but work has been really busy and lower temperatures have kept me out of the garage.

I got the other light fixture installed in the garage and did a little comparison video though:

matt5058

Established Member
Major complex/technical upgrade accomplished yesterday…….I replaced the passenger side mirror:

It actually did end up taking longer than I expected (shocker) because I didn’t realize I would have to take the inner door panel off to access the connector for the mirror. I'm pretty happy with the quality on the new mirror though. I didn’t replace the driver side but will do that too eventually.

I also discovered that I did have a door speaker on the passenger side but the wiring had broken off right at the speaker. I guess I misunderstood the guy who installed my new head unit a couple months back.
7F991EC7-ECDF-4F9D-BD97-85C95E7BB1FA.jpeg

If I had known earlier that yesterday was going to be a warm day, I would have taken it off from work and tried to get the steering shaft assembly installed. Missed opportunity.

Still haven’t found a good/affordable option for having my rear end gears installed. All of the shops I've called either don't do gears or have quoted me over $1,200. Trying to determine what else I can make progress on while the weather is mostly cold.

matt5058

Established Member
Added a new vlog after receiving some new parts a couple of weeks ago:

Update since then - a Fox owner on another forum that I frequent gave me the name of a shop. I got a much more reasonable quote from them.

I dropped the Fox off at that shop the week before last, to have the 4.10s installed. It seemed the shop was a little behind because they didn't get to it until this week. They gave me a call a couple of days ago to update me that the gears were done but that one of the axles looked like it needed to be replaced. I asked them to go ahead and replace both of them while they have the car and I am hoping I might be able to go pick it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

matt5058

Established Member
Almost a month later, I finally picked the Fox back up yesterday. The 4.10 gears are installed…..along with new 31 spline rear axles, a new rear main seal, a new clutch, a new clutch cable, and the speedometer gear kit. Long story but I think most of you know how it goes. I wasn’t thrilled to spend more money but I am happy that some things I knew the car needed (or would need not too far down the line) are fixed or replaced.
74725274-F6DC-4231-9C8D-4E38B986CDA9.JPG
IMG-8838.jpg

I didn’t drive it too hard right after picking it up. From driving it just a couple times, I can say that it feels a bit more like my 2014 Mustang, in that there is enough torque/power regardless of what gear you're in. Less downshifting required it seems. We'll see if I continue to feel this way in a few weeks or months. Also, the clutch feels lighter, which is nice. I hadn't driven the car in almost a month though. Will need to drive it more.

I was hoping that the RMS being replaced would reduce the oil dripping from the car but it already seems like that isn't the case. I've got more oil dripping from around where the transmission meets the engine and there's oil getting onto the X pipe that's creating a little bit of smoke and giving off a burning smell. From scrolling through search results, I understand the RMS is apparently never an easy fix and that it might not even be the RMS that is leaking. The joys of a project car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For those planning similar upgrades to their Fox, those videos are a help. Nice Fox GT, Matt.

matt5058

Established Member
Upon further inspection, it looks like I've got an exhaust leak in addition to the oil leak that was not resolved by the RMS being replaced. I tried a quick fix on the exhaust hardware but it didn't do the trick so I'll have to get under the car for a closer look.

A couple of days ago , I did confirm that the car doesn't seem to be leaking significantly more oil than previously. It doesn't seem to be leaking oil at all while parked/not running. I checked the oil before and after taking it for a 20+ minute drive and it didn't seem to be significantly down.

I still didn't drive it too hard but the few times that I did give it a little more gas, the gears felt pretty good. I am hoping we'll get some slightly warmer weather sometime soon so I can spend a little bit of time in the garage getting a closer look at things underneath the car.

We recently had carpet replaced with hardwood floors in part of our house and I managed to keep a decent enough sized piece of carpet to give me some temporary padding/sort of insulation.
IMG-9258.jpg
IMG-9259.jpg

matt5058

Established Member
So I finally got behind the intake manifold and saw that the PCV valve was super loose. It seemed like it was still in the hose but was disconnected completely from the grommet and the grommet itself came out really easily. I was also able to remove the screen pretty easily with a magnet:
CBCA846C-8C58-4260-B238-00A2F1E0195B.jpeg
58C52C1A-0C00-4BD3-A2E4-ACF51D91FC9E.jpeg

I replaced the screen, grommet, and PCV valve and everything new seemed to fit pretty decently. These are the new pieces:
F3E759B0-4195-4A14-8523-29EF8566D4B1.jpeg

It was pretty late when I finished it so I didn’t start the car yet but will do that today and see how the oil leak situation is looking. :) I didn’t take a ton of pics but recorded some of that process for my next video.

On a non Foxbody related note, I took a new GT for a drive a couple of days ago. There’s a lot to love about these new Mustangs. More detailed impressions in my most recent Vlog:

13BlackGT

Established Member
e78bf37eb7e7ad8583cf423ba2c2992f.jpg

I also have 4.10 gears and t5z. The car is a blast to drive and traction is sketchy with street tires. I also have a 10 sec supercharged coyote, but I like to drive the foxbody a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt5058

Established Member
e78bf37eb7e7ad8583cf423ba2c2992f.jpg

I also have 4.10 gears and t5z. The car is a blast to drive and traction is sketchy with street tires. I also have a 10 sec supercharged coyote, but I like to drive the foxbody a lot!

Your coupe looks great. Do you have any engine mods to go along with the 4.10s?

10 sec Coyote sounds pretty bananas. I’m sure that’s a lot of fun.

13BlackGT

Established Member
Your coupe looks great. Do you have any engine mods to go along with the 4.10s?

10 sec Coyote sounds pretty bananas. I’m sure that’s a lot of fun.

It has TFS stage 1 HCI, 24lb injectors and supporting mods with a moates quarterhorse tuner and A9L. It’s a lot of fun. I really like the quarterhorse for the data log capabilities. I added a wideband o2 sensor also. I used a gps speedo after eating a couple of 23 tooth gears

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
It has TFS stage 1 HCI, 24lb injectors and supporting mods with a moates quarterhorse tuner and A9L. It’s a lot of fun. I really like the quarterhorse for the data log capabilities. I added a wideband o2 sensor also. I used a gps speedo after eating a couple of 23 tooth gears

I really need to get my 90 coupe tuned. It's a basic hci car with no aftermarket tune. It's been looking like this for probably 15+ years.

I know it could definitely run better.
295d5fdb6d042bd181c78aab7795faea.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
The rear gears are probably the best bang for the buck on these cars. I still have the 3.08s in my coupe. I'm planning on swapping to 3.55 or 3.73 and changing all the bearings and axles sometime soon. I don't think I'm brave enough to do a 4:10 rear.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The rear gears are probably the best bang for the buck on these cars. I still have the 3.08s in my coupe. I'm planning on swapping to 3.55 or 3.73 and changing all the bearings and axles sometime soon. I don't think I'm brave enough to do a 4:10 rear.
Indeed. 4:10's with a auto is perfect. I'm rocking 3:55's that came factory on the IRS.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread