Just picked up my first Fox Body...finally

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Someone needs to start a thread of previous fox mustangs owned with details and pictures.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I like this idea. I don’t have pics of my first. I’m kind of glad because it’s like looking at old pictures of an ex girlfriend you loved. That’s why I decided not to get rid of anymore of my fox bodies. They will always be with me. Btw bro, I recently purchased a notchback, so now I’m a fellow proud notch owner

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I like this idea. I don’t have pics of my first. I’m kind of glad because it’s like looking at old pictures of an ex girlfriend you loved. That’s why I decided not to get rid of anymore of my fox bodies. They will always be with me. Btw bro, I recently purchased a notchback, so now I’m a fellow proud notch owner
Hahaha so true!

Congrats on the notch! I'll maybe start that thread tonight or tomorrow.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

matt5058

Established Member
Man, I didn't get any notices on the thread's additional comments. I need to update my subscription preferences. Thanks for the comments.

I also agree with Bdubbs call for a thread so I can get some ideas for my Fox Body. :D

I didn't get a lot done this past weekend because we had guests but I did manage to restore the cold air intake back to stock form.
IMG-5325.jpg

Also, while doing the intake discovered there's what appears to be an aftermarket fuel pressure gauge.
IMG-5323.jpg

I had planned to get the VA state safety inspection but then realized the horn doesn't work. Per some advice on another forum, I tried a few things to trouble shoot the issue but wasn't able to get very far. A fix will have to wait a couple of weeks until my wife and I get back from a trip out of the country.

In one more kind of cool bit of an update, I just noticed the original owner guide is still with the car. :cool:
IMG-5297.jpg

matt5058

Established Member
Stock hood looks better imo. Great iconic car tho.
The ram air is growing on me but if I came across a good deal to get either a stock hood or one with a small cowl, I'd probably go with that - like the first car below. I'd also love to eventually do something like a two tone, where the bottom half of the car is gray or silver (if I keep the top part white), though I'd keep the red line on the body moldings like in the second pic below.
IMG-4950.JPG

IMG-5007.JPG

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
That looks sharp! Just something about the ram air hood that doesn't look right, not that it looks wrong. OEM parts just look best on a Fox Body.

matt5058

Established Member
That looks sharp! Just something about the ram air hood that doesn't look right, not that it looks wrong. OEM parts just look best on a Fox Body.
I get it. With all later model Mustangs, not just fox bodies, I tend to prefer more subtle changes that incorporate OEM parts or at least similar to OEM style.

matt5058

Established Member
Got my second video up. It's kind of messy and out of order because I'm an idiot and forgot to record some of the parts where I was actually doing some of the trouble shooting. It's basically me making note of the horn issue, procrastinating, and then putting the factory intake back in, lol.

I'm going to be traveling for a couple of weeks but my plan when I get back is to actually go through the whole car and document everything that needs work and make a plan for the order of addressing the issues, and of course try to fix the horn (or get a working horn installed). There's a Radwood show scheduled for early April in Philadelphia and I was thinking I might try to get the car in decent enough condition to drive it up to Philly and check that out. We'll see though.

matt5058

Established Member
New video is up. Finally made a little bit of progress. Disregard my goofy ass face close up. I need to create a custom thumbnail or something, lol.

matt5058

Established Member
Nice car, nothing like a white GT!

If you're willing to go to Philly, checkout the Chocolate Fox car show in Hershey, PA. It's the same folks who are behind Foxtoberfest in NC.

Chocolate Fox - All Fox Mustang Show - AACA Museum
Saw that Radwood was postponed because of COVID-19 and I think I saw something about Chocolate Fox being postponed as well. :(

In less depressing news, I made a little bit of progress last weekend...

matt5058

Established Member
I picked up some weatherstripping from a hardware store close by but I didn't feel confident it could be manipulated to make the right shape without cutting it and gluing it together a bunch so I just ended up returning it and ordering the replacement seal from LMR. It took me probably close to half an hour to clean off the old stuff but I got it done eventually and got the new seal on the air box.

The old seal
IMG-7309.JPG

The new seal, along with a few other small misc. parts
IMG-7041.JPG

Pretty happy with the quality and fit
IMG-7301.JPG
IMG-7315.jpg

I made a short video of the airbox fix...not a huge mod obviously but it was bugging me and I'm pretty happy having it addressed.

Also ordered a few random small hardware pieces...the hardware for the fender splash shield, so it’s easier to put back in when I get it all cleaned up, also the battery tray hardware kit, and the hood rubber bumper kit.

I’ve got some other stuff on my list but trying not to be irresponsible with money given the current situation...and also need to make sure I’m not forgetting the importance of fixing the rust and leaks.

matt5058

Established Member
Did the red lettering on the rocker panels, which I think is a nice touch. I'm patiently waiting for the heat gun I ordered to arrive so I can remove the red body molding stripe and replace it with brand new red tape.
IMG-7964.jpg

Had some help from my wife on the lettering actually, and documented fixing a few other random, mostly small things.

matt5058

Established Member
Finally managed to get rid of the old yellow stickers on the inside of the quarter windows.....took a long time though. They were driving me crazy.

Before:
IMG-7964.jpg

After:
IMG-8364.jpg
IMG-8367.jpg

Really looking forward to getting the red body molding strip updated and touching up the paint in some spots, including the taillights:
IMG-8253.jpg

New video is up with some of the small progress:

matt5058

Established Member
Interesting update on the Fox. I had a person comment on YouTube that I should check the lights on the vanity mirrors to see if they are draining the battery. Battery was out of the car, attached to trickle charger that just arrived so I couldn't see if the lights were functioning. I had taken a picture a while back though and noticed one of the vanity mirror lights was still on even though there was electrical tape across the little button. So I pulled the sun visors out (they need to be repaired or replace anyways) and disconnected the vanity mirror lights. That update can be partially seen in my newest video (just skip to the 9:00 minute mark):

So after this video...I hooked the battery back up to the trickle charger and let it charge over night. Yesterday, I threw the battery back in and the Fox started right up. I ran voltage test on the battery and it appeared normal. Even took the Fox for a little spin around the block.

This morning I checked the voltage again and it appears the battery is still holding a charge. I have some work to do but will try to start it again around lunch time and confirm that it's still holding enough juice to start the car.

Also, I ordered a PA Performance Premium Battery Cable kit that is supposed to be arriving today, so I'll be getting that installed as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread