Just picked up my first Cobra

CobraHuck

Established Member
Well, I've had 2 pushrod 5.0s, 1 Coyote, and now I've decided to snag a DOHC 4.6. Just picked her up last night, can't wait to start learning and playing with this car

'97 Crystal White/black leather
4.10s, JLT cai, drop springs, CC plates, 2000 cobra Rs with NT05s on the back
4yzupeju.jpg

a7yregu3.jpg

3y8abatu.jpg

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Great looking car. I have come close to buying those wheels before they look awesome, I just stayed away bc they are heavy and have an offset that leaves them sticking out a bit far. If that car is clean as it looks I would expect to get $8000-8500 around here.

CobraHuck

Established Member
Thanks guys! She's definitely a great car, in very good shape, just needs a good detail in and out. I'm not crazy about the wheels, gonna swap my FR500s from my other car on here and plasti-dip the centers gold.

I paid $7500 for her. I feel like I got a good deal.

CobraHuck

Established Member
I did find one pretty major issue tho, still feel like I got a decent deal, even with this. Drove the car all the way from McDonough yesterday, all day today no problem. On the way home from work the rearend started making all kinds of clunking noises and jerking the car a little. Limped her home, put her up on stands and popped off the diff cover and this is what I see.

gears_zps5253ada6.gif

ALL of the ring gear bolts were loose/backing out. 4 had actually come all the way out and were bouncing around in the rearend, took out some small pieces of a couple teeth on the ring gear, the pinion gear, and the carrier. For the time being, gonna buy some new ring gear bolts, throw em in and fill her up with new fluids. See how she does, hoping I can rock it like that for a month or 2 till I can have the whole rearend rebuilt.

gearbolts_zps3844ce0a.gif

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Nice grab, sucks about the rearend, sounds like those 4.10s were probably a recent install before the guy sold ya it, and clearly weren't done right.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Nice! I keep going back and forth. Bolt-on 94, Turbo 97, blown 94, will probably eventually go back to the mod motor lol.

CobraHuck

Established Member
Nice grab, sucks about the rearend, sounds like those 4.10s were probably a recent install before the guy sold ya it, and clearly weren't done right.

That's what I thought too, but I found the receipt for the work in the console. Was done 2 years ago, idk why they took that long to back out, but I've found a few other guys that had the same thing happen with the 1/2" bolts. There was no locktite on them either :nonono: I'll be locktite'ing the new ones for sure

Should be a fun little car! I've had that happen before but only 1 bolt had fallen out, there was pieces all in the differential fluid.
-Garrett

Oh she definitely is. I'm chomping at the bit to get her fixed and get more seat time :burnout:

Nice! I keep going back and forth. Bolt-on 94, Turbo 97, blown 94, will probably eventually go back to the mod motor lol.

I'm more familiar with pushrods therefore I always have preferred them, but the more I play with mod motors, the more I like them!

Good job car looks great. Good luck with the rear end

CobraHuck

Established Member
Should be getting the rear end buttoned up in the morning, emissions done, and go to the tag office to get her registered tomorrow. Cranked the car up tonight to try to pinpoint an exhaust leak, I'm 90% sure it's at the passenger side exhaust manifold to midpipe flage/gasket.

How hard is that to replace? Looks like a b*tch to me, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread