Just picked up a 2008 GT500 coupe...

cgaulzetti

Established Member
Hi Guys:

My name is Craig and I just bought a 2008 Alloy Clearcoat Metallic Grey GT500 with silver stripes. It's got 58,000 miles on it, some dumb "Elenor" style body accessories like window louver and fake rear fender brake scoops- but I think I got a good deal on the thing. It's got brand new Michelin Pilot Sports on it too which is nice.

I'm sure I'll be upgrading the supercharger at some point to coax some more safe horsepower out of this thing- but my 100 mile drive from Hemat back home to San Diego made it abundantly clear that this thing needs major suspension help. (I kind of want to get used to the stock power so I really feel a difference when I upgrade.)

I've had an S197 before- a 2008 Bullitt that is the only car I ever regret selling. In the interim I've had an E46 M3, an E92 BMW 128i with all sorts of suspension work, and a Challenger Scat Pack that I sadly had to trade in because my significant other needed to learn how to drive after we located out here to San Diego from Boston- and a 500hp manual car was not in the cards then- so I gave her $16,000 and told her to pick out anything she wanted at CarMax- she had good taste and after trying just about everything settled on a 2011 BMW 328i coupe with the M sport package. It's nice- but I need my own wheels-hence the GT500 purchase.

Anyway- enough for background. How the hell do I make this thing handle like a BMW M3? :) What's the best suspension to tighten everything up and make this thing have the chops to handle its horsepower in corners? I've seen Sam Strano rip up an autocross course in an S197 and the Griggs stuff looks amazing albeit pricey- but if you had a couple of grand to throw at the car to start out- how do I make it eat Porsches in the Canyons?

I don't care about ride quality. I'm not going to drag race this thing other than the once a month 1/8th mile for fun stuff at Qualcomm stadium- I might do some track days and auto cross again.

I'm glad I bought the GT500. I love it's big dumb power and it looks cool- and it'll be awesome to have an 800hp monster at some point- but right now- I need to make this thing less of a boat. My Challenger felt less soft!

HELP! and if any one know who to take this thing to in SD county for this kind of work, I'd appreciate the help!

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Congrats on the purchase, I have personally used 2011 struts from a PP 11-12 car and ran FRPP C springs (or could of been b I forgot) from a GT (same for a GT500 just different weight in the beak but makes it sit perfect) and it handles a hell of a lot better, you will need a panhard bar and some rear control arms upper and lowers to get the pinion angle correct when you lower it...but I would run 11-12 GT500 PP struts/shocks and then pick whatever lowering springs you desire. I Strongly do not recommend Coil overs unless you want your refined Shelby to sound and ride like a old hatchback civic... Enjoy the car you are going to love it even more once dialed in. 13/14 GT500 blower swap, 13/14 injectors, heat exchanger and on stock pulley you will make over 600 to the wheels with matching TQ... doesn't sound like much but night and day over stock car would lay rubber into 4th on the stock goodyears.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Congrats.

I am not sure it will ever handle like an M3 but that doesnt mean it wont eventually beat one on a road course or run down a Porsche in a canyon. I would do some reading and come up with a full on plan, probably through BMR and go from there. This place is a good place to start formulating your plan, but make it yours and know why you are doing what you are doing. Dont just spend money.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Congrats on the new ride! Alloy is a great color.

A quality set of coilovers all around will give you better handling than a simple shock/strut/spring swap. Add a watts link and rear LCA's and you're in business. That's the setup I have on my '14 GT (Koni coilovers with 550/250 springs F/R, BMR watts, LCAs, & LCA relo brackets ) and the handling is incredible and the ride quality is fantastic. My car has the Track Pack and now it handles 100% better than stock. Zero wheel hop...amazing control. The stock setup was completely inadequate by comparison.

Good luck!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Congrats and welcome! As a former San Diegan, its nice to know there's another GT500 in the city. :D I used to race a ton down at Qualcomm. There's next to no grip there, so youll want a set of Bias Ply slicks to have a prayer of hooking up.

Youll probably want to invest in a full suspension. BMR makes great stuff, but if handling is REALLY your thing a call to Griggs Suspension would be your best bet:

http://www.griggsracing.com/index.php?cPath=4332_4309&osCsid=3b3d50b7b1458be701d276f893096e0f

Id start with a rear suspension package WITH Watts link instead of a panhard Rod. You will immediately feel improved handling by addressing the rear first. Watts link will transform your rear end feel. @GT Premi Just installed a watts link and seems to be very pleased with the results.

S197 front lower control arms and the McPherson strut setup works pretty well. Realistically, a swap to some takeoff 11-12 SVT Performance pack takoff struts and springs would tighten up the front. At that point, along with the rear being addressed, you can determine if your front end needs more help.

Lastly, you will want to make a dual fan heat exchanger a priority installation. Iron block GT500s are known to heat soak on the stock intercooler setup. Its simply inadequate. The intercooler itself is fine, but the heat exchanger and pump are laughably under spec for sustained hard driving.

A VMP Dual fan Triple pass heat exchanger is among the best value, quality and performance:

http://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-Dual-Fan-Triple-Pass-Heat-Exchanger-for-Mustan-p/vmp-hedual.htm

You can also reference my How-To on installing a much higher performance 13-14 intercooler pump (assuming the VMP kit has already been installed) here:

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...3-14-intercooler-pump-on-07-12-gt500.1152100/

If youre looking for a speed shop to install all your new go fast goodies, I cant recommend JBA Speed Shop enough. They are off the 163 and Clairemont Mesa road right behind the BMW motorcycle dealership.

http://jbaspeedshop.com/

Once you get your heat under control, sustained driving will be absolutely a joy! Welcome to the addiction!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Congrats on the purchase! I've had quite the journey dialing in my GT500 to how I want it to work and feel. I'm 99% there. I recommend you attack it in phases. You want to get the chassis cinched down first so the suspension can do its thing. Some say the S197 chassis is stiff enough to not need them, but I recommend some subframe connectors. On my GT500, I opted for boxed subframe connectors from BMR. They do make a difference.

I also recommend you install an A-arm support brace. That will help a little bit with steering feel, but you won't notice much difference until later in your suspension saga. If you can get a strut tower brace that fits, I'd recommend that, too. I still wish I could fit one on my GT500, but I can't find anything that clears the Whipple intake without either having to lower the engine or get a raised hood; neither of which I want to do.

Lastly for phase 1, I can't recommend strongly enough to put a Watts link on it!!! Don't even bother with a panhard bar. Just go straight to the Watts link. I wish I would have!

Those are my recommendations for now. My GT500's suspension is 100% aftermarket from the radiator support to the Watts link and nearly everything in between. My primary goal has been weight reduction, though, with the extra benefit of vastly improved handling. I'm currently on the hunt for some aluminum spindles and steering knuckles and aluminum bodied shocks/struts.

Anyway... You can PM me anytime with questions.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Interesting. Thanks for the tip! So I have to call them directly for details and ordering?
Im sure its out there in cataloges, but as most people want traditional non adjustable struts its gets over looked.

A call to Viking will get you accurate pricing and ordering information. :D

Sent from my banana using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cgaulzetti

Established Member
thanks everyone for the great advice. i got a set of XTA coil-overs with springs and camber plates courtesy of Sam Strano and I think the next thing to do is go with a Watts Link, some BMR subframe connectors and the rest of the GR40 kit from Griggs in that order. I also really value the advice regarding the VMP Dual Fan Triple Pass Heat Exchanger and I'm going to invest in that right now. I've heard that boosting this engine is not advised if I'm going to be driving aggressively for long periods of team like on a road course because of heat issues. So at this point I'm scared and am going to keep the horsepower where it is.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
thanks everyone for the great advice. i got a set of XTA coil-overs with springs and camber plates courtesy of Sam Strano and I think the next thing to do is go with a Watts Link, some BMR subframe connectors and the rest of the GR40 kit from Griggs in that order. I also really value the advice regarding the VMP Dual Fan Triple Pass Heat Exchanger and I'm going to invest in that right now. I've heard that boosting this engine is not advised if I'm going to be driving aggressively for long periods of team like on a road course because of heat issues. So at this point I'm scared and am going to keep the horsepower where it is.

That VMP Triple Pass Dual FAN HE will make a HUGE difference in quenching your heat soak issues, even with the stock supercharger. Upgrading to the Trinity intercooler fluid pump will further enhance the cooling efficiency of the intercooler system.

Another mod to consider is a Reiche 170 degree thermostat.

Realistically, an upgrade of the factory M122 supercharger will be the ultimate help. The M122 is a hot, HOT supercharger. Much of the heatsoak issues have to do with this particular unit's thermal inefficiency.

An upgrade to at least the 2013-2014 Supercharger (2.3L TVS) with the stock 2.65" upper pulley and the previously mentioned cooling mods will give you some great performance and low chance of heatsoak.

Because you are in California though, remember that emissions testing every two years requires a visual inspection. Id stop by JBA Performance and get their opinion on CA legal supercharger upgrades.

Ford Racing used to offer a 750hp kit that was 50 state legal, but they are harder to find now for your 2008 model year.

Users who are viewing this thread