Just ordered 2.9 Whipple!! 1st owner!!

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Well If I decided to have it tuned on 100 octane what brand Is recommend, thanks for all your help guys

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
brand choice is all up to you. just do research and see if KB or Whipple is for you. or if you don't want to do research just go with which one you think looks better lol

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Oh I've got the 2.9 installed just waiting on the belts to come in, we had weather delays, this week so I'm waitin on the belts and I've done research but unsure wether u want oxygenated gas or what I'd assume u want what ever 93 is which isant oxygenated I don't think

Robert

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Well the main reason people choose a 2.6 or 2.8 over a 2.2 is the 2.2 is no longer made, so you can’t buy it new. Finding a good used one is harder to do. The 2.2 is definitely a stout blower that a lot of people love, it really shines right in the range for pump gas(16-18psi). Then there’s the whine, the 2.2 KB almost can’t be matched in blower whine. The 2.6/2.8 definitely has more potential and will make more power per pound of boost above 19psi though.

If you have no plans of running race fuel/torco/e85 where you’ll be running more than 17-18psi then I’d probably stick with the 2.3. It’s tried and true to get you around 600rwhp on pump at that boost level, and being smaller it weighs less than some of the bigger blowers. You can also stick with the stock throttle body, so it will end up cheaper for sure. If you have even the slightest thought that it’s a possibility for more down the road then I’d just jump on the 2.9.

Thanks for the info. I'm not overly concerned with blower whine lol. I mean it's cool and all but I'd rather the blower with most power than most noise.
My main goal is pump gas right now because that's what I have easily available all over town and drive on a ton.
Sounds like there's no down sides to the 2.9 over the 2.3 that I can see so far so, so the 2.9 is looking good.
One day when E85 is near my house and easy to get to that will come on the radar for me but that's way down the road.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I'm not overly concerned with blower whine lol. I mean it's cool and all but I'd rather the blower with most power than most noise.
My main goal is pump gas right now because that's what I have easily available all over town and drive on a ton.
Sounds like there's no down sides to the 2.9 over the 2.3 that I can see so far so, so the 2.9 is looking good.
One day when E85 is near my house and easy to get to that will come on the radar for me but that's way down the road.

I'm in the same boat, I want something that will make a great amount of power. Be perfectly streetable and have room to grow later on.

My closest e85 station is over two hours away so right now that's not an option.

I plan to go 2.9 on pump and convert to e85 when I can and have a ton more power because of the bigger blower.

I say 2.9 for sure

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Oh I've got the 2.9 installed just waiting on the belts to come in, we had weather delays, this week so I'm waitin on the belts and I've done research but unsure wether u want oxygenated gas or what I'd assume u want what ever 93 is which isant oxygenated I don't think

Robert
Oh I didn’t realize you were talking about fuel. In that case I don’t know lol

I'm in the same boat, I want something that will make a great amount of power. Be perfectly streetable and have room to grow later on.

My closest e85 station is over two hours away so right now that's not an option.

I plan to go 2.9 on pump and convert to e85 when I can and have a ton more power because of the bigger blower.

I say 2.9 for sure
Yeah you guys pretty much hit it right on the head there, sounds like the 2.9 would be the way to go for both of you :beer:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
That peak torque on the 2.9 looks to be about 30-40 ft-lbs higher than for the typical 2.3. Very nice numbers!

mach1033

Established Member
The only issue I had with the install was the passenger side fuel rail. It's a fore rail and I had to grind it down

cobra_mer

Established Member
New to the forums, found this thread and thought I would let you all know who are looking to upgrade from the stock eaton. I just ordered a 2.9 and will post dyno numbers when I get them. I will be running 93 octane, and between 18-20lbs of boost with new whipple.

Right now I am running, stock eaton, BBK HF Cats, Magnaflow cat back, stock manifolds, steeda CAI, stock lower, 2.79 upper (i think).

Its constant at 460rwhp and 468rwtq at 16.3lbs

mach1033

Established Member
New to the forums, found this thread and thought I would let you all know who are looking to upgrade from the stock eaton. I just ordered a 2.9 and will post dyno numbers when I get them. I will be running 93 octane, and between 18-20lbs of boost with new whipple.

Right now I am running, stock eaton, BBK HF Cats, Magnaflow cat back, stock manifolds, steeda CAI, stock lower, 2.79 upper (i think).

Its constant at 460rwhp and 468rwtq at 16.3lbs

What are your fuel mods

cobra_mer

Established Member
my fuel mods are completely stock atm. that will change with the whipple, tuner says i will be fine with just a BaP, i will let you know how it turns out.

mach1033

Established Member
my fuel mods are completely stock atm. that will change with the whipple, tuner says i will be fine with just a BaP, i will let you know how it turns out.

I think your tuner might not know what this blower can do at 20lbs of boost. I have the Fore hat, gt pumps, 2 fpdms, 8-an fuel line, y block, Fore rails, aeromtive filter and 60lb injectors and I maxed them out!!!! with this blower. If I were you I would at the very least get 80lb injectors and see if the bap is good enough with just that upgrade.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Thank you Jesus... I was gonna do the same but going directly from pullied eaton to 2.9 whipple... And in February. dont have enough vacation time accrued to take off work and tear down the vehicle just yet

and please, please give us some kind of update if for some reason stuff doesnt pan outs funds wise, time wise, or the like... dont pull a Houdini like the OP of this Fail thread :fm:

well i guess i eat my words.
nice to see some results.
gongrats and those are good numbers. :beer:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member

yeah thats not gonna fly... i was at 612rwhp/585tq with my whipple 2.3 at 21psi (I had to sell the whipple+supporting mods to pay for a busted IRS) with a BAP i was seeing ~90% FPDC. thats not gonna cut it with the 175AX.

POPO30

Established Member
I have an 03 vert, 20k miles maintained well and clean. The 2.9 whipple arrived at my house Monday and I am getting the car tuned friday. I have 63lb injectors, GTpumps, stage 2 driver, pprv delete kit, LFP heat exchanger and tank, C&L intake, 95mm mass air housing and Diablo Sport Piggy Back, LFP single blade T-Body, off road X, 2.5" cat back, 2 step colder plugs etc etc...I will be using the 3.5" whipple pulley that came on the blower. Whipple talked me into going with the 2.9 over 2.3.(I actually saved money, long story). They told me that with the 3.5" pulley and my stock lower I should be around 18psi. I will be running 93 octane fuel and my tuner will be using the SCT programming as he did on my other cars. I dont post alot, usually just read. I will be back on this forum Friday after my tune. I will let you guys know what happened.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread