Just ordered 2.9 Whipple!! 1st owner!!

mach1033

Established Member
Sorry but may I ask whats different with torco and race fuel I thought torco was race fuel

Torco is an additive that you add to pump gas. According to what I read on the can if you add 32oz to 10 gallons of 91 octane you will have the equivalent to 102 octane. So with 93 you should have 104 I guess. Race gas obviously is a fuel.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sorry to everyone for the long delay...im in military and i finally got back home to DYNO my cobra...first off here is the list of mods then the numbers...

stock motor
2.9 whipple
W/ stock 3.5 pulley produced 19lbs of boost (dynoed car with 3.5)
W/ 3.25 pulley produced 22.5lbs of boost (i was not expecting to see 22.5lbs w/ this pulley so i throw the 3.5 back on...ill be back in the shop w/ 3.25 when i pick up my race gas)
Billet flow 4 piece W/ idler set
80lbs injectors
GT dual fuel pumps
FPDM dual pump re-wire kit
Fore fuel hat
JLT RAI intake
SCT 2400 maf
billet flow throttle body
stock headers
Pypes violator X-pipe with out cat's
Pypes violator cat-back
EGR delet kit
SCT tuner
18 timing
11.8 a/f

630whp/595tq:burnout:

Thank you so much for that info. What pump gas do you use? 91/93 also what elevation are you at? what city/state was it dyno'd in?

It appears your 2.9 was worth about 30 more rwhp that most 2.3 numbers I see posted.

OrangeFR500

03CobraSaleen
Established Member
Virginia

Thank you so much for that info. What pump gas do you use? 91/93 also what elevation are you at? what city/state was it dyno'd in?

It appears your 2.9 was worth about 30 more rwhp that most 2.3 numbers I see posted.

OrangeFR500

03CobraSaleen
Established Member
2nd update

stock motor
93 octane
2.9 whipple
W/ stock 3.5 pulley produced 19lbs of boost (dynoed car with 3.5)
W/ 3.25 pulley produced 22.5lbs of boost (i was not expecting to see 22.5lbs w/ this pulley so i throw the 3.5 back on...ill be back in the shop w/ 3.25 when i pick up my race gas)
Billet flow 4 piece W/ idler set
80lbs injectors
GT dual fuel pumps
FPDM dual pump re-wire kit
Fore fuel hat
JLT RAI intake
SCT 2400 maf
billet flow throttle body
stock headers
Pypes violator X-pipe with out cat's
Pypes violator cat-back
EGR delet kit
SCT tuner
18 timing
11.8 a/f

630whp/595tq

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
Not to be a party crasher but shops around here won't tune 93 above 18lbs, and I have had a friends car making 18.8 on a 2.6 KB make 635/569, so the next question pricewise is how does this stack up to a 2.8 since a 2.6 is actually cheaper than a 2.9?

lxtasy93

The Wheelman
Established Member
Well crap....I guess I'll be putting the 3.50 pulley back on today and swapping belts back....again. There's no way I want 22.5 psi on a stock motor....I'm a little leary of 19psi with the 3.50 pulley honestly.....

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Great results man! Glad to see some numbers out of this blower. That's about what I'd expect for this boost level on that fuel. I think this blower will really shine above the 2.3 around 22-24psi given its size.

Not to be a party crasher but shops around here won't tune 93 above 18lbs, and I have had a friends car making 18.8 on a 2.6 KB make 635/569, so the next question pricewise is how does this stack up to a 2.8 since a 2.6 is actually cheaper than a 2.9?
The 2.9, like the KB 2.8, has more potential as it can make displace a larger amount of air at a given rpm, whereas you can't spin the smaller blowers fast enough to create that kind of airflow. On 15-18psi, most blowers will make around the same numbers. When you get into the 20's that's when the differences in sizes start to show. Not that it would be efficient, but just to give you an idea, a 2.2 KB or a 2.3 Whipple won't be able to produce enough airflow to create more than say 25psi, but a 2.9 Whipple or 2.8 KB could probably flow enough air at max rpm to create maybe 30psi. Like I said, obviously that's not recommended, just giving you an idea that's it's more about flow potential.

Last edited:

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
Okay know that I've looked up torco and read about it above, can I tune on pump gas while at dyno then just add this and turn boost up to 22 with the 3.25, please let me know guys, my suspesicion is u need to drive the car to mix it what's your thoughts??

Thanks
Robert

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I have had a friends car making 18.8 on a 2.6 KB make 635/569, so the next question pricewise is how does this stack up to a 2.8 since a 2.6 is actually cheaper than a 2.9?

OK if the KB 2.6 is on par with the Whipple 2.9 and the KB 2.2 is on par with the Whipple 2.3 then I have a few questions.

What makes KB owners choose a 2.6 over a 2.2? Surely there's some characteristics of the 2.2 that make it more desirable to some people or they wouldn't buy them right? They'd just get the 2.6 and make more power.

With that said would those same desirable characteristics make the 2.3 a better option for some over the 2.9?

Also to D3 Racing, your buddy making 635 on a 2.6, was that pump gas? 91/93? what other power mods to motor to do that?

Thanks
Malcolm

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Okay know that I've looked up torco and read about it above, can I tune on pump gas while at dyno then just add this and turn boost up to 22 with the 3.25, please let me know guys, my suspesicion is u need to drive the car to mix it what's your thoughts??

Thanks
Robert

First off I imagine you'd want to put the torco in when your tank is almost empty and then fill up so it's all mixed in. Then yes a short amount of engine running to get it all in the lines and motor (probably happens in seconds).

Second I seriously doubt you can just add torco and change a pulley and up the boost. You'd need a tune for more boost and torco. Things like fuel delivery (amount of fuel) and timing and what ever else will need to be tweaked by your tuner for the additional boost.

Someone using torco should be able to give you more details.

BucStang

Triple Black
Established Member
OK if the KB 2.6 is on par with the Whipple 2.9 and the KB 2.2 is on par with the Whipple 2.3 then I have a few questions.

What makes KB owners choose a 2.6 over a 2.2? Surely there's some characteristics of the 2.2 that make it more desirable to some people or they wouldn't buy them right? They'd just get the 2.6 and make more power.

With that said would those same desirable characteristics make the 2.3 a better option for some over the 2.9?

Also to D3 Racing, your buddy making 635 on a 2.6, was that pump gas? 91/93? what other power mods to motor to do that?

Thanks
Malcolm

:pop:

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member

Thanks
Malcolm

60lb Injectors
4# Lower Pulley
Kenne Bell BAP
12" K&N
4" CAI
Accufab Throttle Body
SLP Longtubes
Flowmaster Catback
AFCO Dual-Pass Heat Exchanger
20* Timing, 18.8 psi
93 Octane w/ TORCO

HP: 635 TQ: 569

He posts on here as well, sold that car to go to a 3.4

mach1033

Established Member
Well crap....I guess I'll be putting the 3.50 pulley back on today and swapping belts back....again. There's no way I want 22.5 psi on a stock motor....I'm a little leary of 19psi with the 3.50 pulley honestly.....

These motor's can handle 22lbs of boost no sweat. I have been running 21lbs for 2 years. When I get my car tuned with the 2.9 next week I will be at 22lbs of boost and torco. Hopefully it will shine like everyone thinks.

jamescb77

Established Member
60lb Injectors
4# Lower Pulley
Kenne Bell BAP
12" K&N
4" CAI
Accufab Throttle Body
SLP Longtubes
Flowmaster Catback
AFCO Dual-Pass Heat Exchanger
20* Timing, 18.8 psi
93 Octane w/ TORCO

HP: 635 TQ: 569

He posts on here as well, sold that car to go to a 3.4

so he had longtubes used torco and an extra 2* of timing to make the same numbers a 2.9 did. Sounds pretty fair to me.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member

Thanks
Malcolm
Well the main reason people choose a 2.6 or 2.8 over a 2.2 is the 2.2 is no longer made, so you can’t buy it new. Finding a good used one is harder to do. The 2.2 is definitely a stout blower that a lot of people love, it really shines right in the range for pump gas(16-18psi). Then there’s the whine, the 2.2 KB almost can’t be matched in blower whine. The 2.6/2.8 definitely has more potential and will make more power per pound of boost above 19psi though.

If you have no plans of running race fuel/torco/e85 where you’ll be running more than 17-18psi then I’d probably stick with the 2.3. It’s tried and true to get you around 600rwhp on pump at that boost level, and being smaller it weighs less than some of the bigger blowers. You can also stick with the stock throttle body, so it will end up cheaper for sure. If you have even the slightest thought that it’s a possibility for more down the road then I’d just jump on the 2.9.

Users who are viewing this thread