• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Just noticed corrosion in my mustangs hood

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by black99lightnin, Aug 17, 2019.

1. 04DeadShort

04DeadShort SVT Addict Established Member

I remember a pic years ago of a guy's DSG Lightning. He was holding the whole sheet of paint, almost like a wrap, where it had literally peeled off the hood.

2. Relaxed Chaos

Relaxed Chaos Faster! Established Member

Ford's paint, body work, panel gaps, and interiors have sucked for the past 60 years. This sort of defect should surprise no one on s Ford.

I have 3 Ford's all under 50k miles and they all have shit falling apart inside and out. Terrible quality through and through.

Sent using the svtperformance.com mobile app

3. VRYALT3R3D

VRYALT3R3D Well-Known Member Established Member

Quality of Job 1

4. 7998

7998 Well-Known Member Established Member

Put me in the camp of Ford's paint sucks. A flying booger from a sneeze would chip the paint. My 2014 DIB Mustang looks like someone sand blasted it. My 2016 Ingot Silver F150 XLT looked like they fitted a reject hood. It was tight on one side to the point it almost touched, the hood had to be wet sanded. My 2019 Silver F150 Platinum actually has good gaps and fitment. I don't know if they have improved their QC or they spent more attention because it was a Platinum.
    But yeah not happy about having to get my 5 year old 40k mile Mustang re-painted.

scott9050 likes this.
  5. Sn95Snake

Sn95Snake Well-Known Member Established Member

Sorry to see OP. I would keep an eye on your other vehicles and as soon as there are any signs take it to Ford before they are out of warranty.

6. kevinatfms

kevinatfms Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech Premium Member Established Member

My 2005 Mustang had some of the WORST paint ive ever had on a vehicle. My 2015 Fiesta has ok paint but damn is it thin as hell. Sneeze the wrong way and it will chip. Wish i had gotten the thing 3m clear bra wrapped.

7. black99lightnin

black99lightnin move along Established Member

UPDATE:
    Hood was ordered. I have to drop the car off this Saturday for replacement. Ford did cover it.

jeffh81, T.Man, black4vcobra and 5 others like this.
  8. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

Positive step in the right direction. Lmao, Id love to be a fly on the wall in a Cust Sat managers meeting hearing all the ****ed shit leaving their plants haha

9. gimmie11s

gimmie11s Handlebar mustaches... PSSHHH! Established Member Established Member

OP, this car is a 2016?

Holy crap.. not good NOT GOOD!

WTF is going on w Ford these days.

10. L8APEX

L8APEX On my tummy..! Established Member

I think with all the furniture experience they wight as well just go back to making "Woodies."

lexustech48 likes this.
  11. BlksvtCobra01

BlksvtCobra01 Do it again and I'll make it real Established Member

This was an issue on the late model S-197’s too a friend at work had a 12 5.0 with that issue. I heard but don’t know if it’s the truth it had to do with the prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s likes this.
  12. black4vcobra

black4vcobra Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Terrible, that simply should not happen.

However, we know this type of thing happens to other manufacturers too- remember the GM cars from the mid-90s? Paint just flaked off in big chunks. Around here once a Chrysler product gets to 10 years old there are often holes in the body panels from rust. For whatever reason the minivans and Durangos seem to be the worst.

gimmie11s likes this.
  13. lexustech48

I remember growing up in Chicago area seeing Dodge Neons with missing paint. Looked like sheets of wall paper were torn off.Was the craziest paint defects Ive ever seen.

black4vcobra likes this.
  14. Kevins89notch

Kevins89notch Well-Known Member Established Member

On your 2016? What's the mileage?

I've been so far told to **** off regarding my 2017 Fiesta ST because I noticed the bubbling about 5 weeks after I hit 36K miles.

Bg7bzJh.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  15. offroadkarter

offroadkarter Professional S***poster Established Member

I would try another dealer, the corrosion warranty has no mileage limitations

lexustech48 likes this.
  16. black4vcobra

black4vcobra Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

It was crazy. I had a 95 Grand Am in HS and part of college and the body was completely undamaged yet damn near half the paint on the trucklid had just flaked off. No rust at all underneath.

There is surprisingly little information on the problem on the internet. I guess it makes sense since the problems happened before widespread adoption of the internet. Anyway, from what I can tell it was a problem in the 80s to mid 90s for multiple reasons and it affected all manufacturers but GM seemed to be the worst.

From what I can gather the problems arose because the paint was a new water based enamel with lower VOCs, the body panels were made of a more corrosion resistant steel that the paint didn't jive with being applied on and the clear coat was a fairly new product as well.

Just another reason why the early 80s to mid 90s were some of the worst years of cars ever, the Fox body Mustang excluded though it was fairly shitty until 87

lexustech48 likes this.
  17. lexustech48

Typically from what Ive seen, the corrosion protection usually is about 5-6 years, unlimited mileage.

18. Kevins89notch

Well I went to one dealer. They took pics, said they would file a claim and I left. He called me an hour later saying "Sorry, didn't realize you're past 36K, that's black and white, we can't touch it" He did call from his cell phone (perhaps to be off the record?) and told me to call ford's quality care line or whatever and nicely raise hell with them and they have the power to authorize the warranty work past 36K. I called them, got someone, and had to physically explain the paint is peeling up all over the hatch hinge area. He said too bad, 36K is 36K. I tried expressing that not everyone looks at their door or hatch hinges constantly, or even ever for some folks, and that especially with my area of issue, that's not from a door ding, road debris, etc, it's 100% Ford's fault. He stood firm on 36K. I read that exact paragraph to him and he asked are there holes in the body. I said no. He said then the corrosion warranty doesn't apply.

So I wait till it rusts through and then it applies?

I found out a mustang buddy works at a dealership an hour away. I asked him and he said since I've already talked with my local dealer, and already have a case number dealing with corporate and having mentioned my local dealer, that they couldn't touch it.

19. offroadkarter

offroadkarter Professional S***poster Established Member

The paragraph I quoted is direct from the 2017 Ford car and truck warranty booklet. If you're getting the runaround I'd consider going to the BBB or something over this, that usually works with people trying to kick off the lemon buy back process.

Kevins89notch likes this.
  20. Kevins89notch

Yeah, I got this pic from my manual:

8c76nZ5.jpg

Note it says perforated. I think that's why Ford asked if I had any holes in the body panels.