Just installed JLT CAI and car won't start. Need Help.

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
Hi guys.

So I just installed a JLT CAI intake and when I go to start my car, it will start up and then die/shut off immediately. Like it starts up normally then immediately just shuts off. Also when the engines done turning it sounds like a kssshhhh sound(?), or like air is moving through something.

Heres a vid of it starting and dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuK0i-WMmWk

So I've read terms about MAFs being clocked the wrong way and what not. Could this be the issue? Also the little things I had to insert into the tubes, Do they need to be facing a certain way?

Another thing I read on here is a guy had the MAF sensor plugged in the wrong way. I'm newish to cars so I can't really remember which plug this was? Was that the one plugged into the thing close to the air filter in the fender well?

**FIXED** Ok so kind of a beginners error I didn't know about. So there is an arrow on the MAF showing which way the air needs to flow into the engine. I had it the wrong way. The new aluminum part that comes in the kit should go into the air filter. Started up and worked fine after that for me. At least so far haha.

Last edited:

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I'm betting your MAF is installed backwards or you did not plug it in.

Last edited:

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
I have read about that but I don't fully know what that means. Is that the thing that plugs in by the air filter in the fender well? Like unplug that and plug it in the other way?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I have read about that but I don't fully know what that means. Is that the thing that plugs in by the air filter in the fender well? Like unplug that and plug it in the other way?

Yes, I believe its by the filter with the CAI. There should be a flow arrow on your MAF sensor. This needs to point towards the engine as that is the way air will flow into the engine. Its easy to install them with the arrow facing the wrong way.

Last edited:

ddschmitz

Young car noob
Established Member
Yes, I believe its by the filter with the CAI. There should be a flow arrow on your MAF sensor. This needs to point towards the engine as that is the way air will flow into the engine. Its easy to install them with the arrow facing the wrong way.

Ok I will try and look at that when I get home again and update when done.

Users who are viewing this thread