Just installed AEM failsafe Wideband gauge & Datalogger

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I think using the injector signal will work for most people. The areas I see that where off on my logs are when using the transbrake with the 2 step, quick RPM changes (AKA blew the tires off on one pass) and letting out after a run the RPM went to zero. I also see a few quick drops in RPM when I know I didnt back out.

My main concern is seeing what my launch RPM was. I have the 2 step set to 3800 and the RPM logs are showing anywhere from 3500-4500. I need to look into that and see if the logs are correct or not. If they are, my 2 step just isnt going to cut it for my use.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I can see the rpm showing zero when you let off. The ECU shuts the injectors off when coasting.

ruthless

Established Member
I can see the rpm showing zero when you let off. The ECU shuts the injectors off when coasting.

My thoughts exactly. Now whould anything read strange if I was sitting on the 2-step or should that rpm read correctly? Nothing in the tune has been changed to dump fuel.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I really don't know. I've never used a 2 step. Do they cut fuel or ignition to limit rpm?

cobra-k

Established Member
What if you just set the failsafe for when its under alot of boost? Cause like you said yourself thats when you'll need it most. Then dont even set it for idle/low boost. Will that keep the failsafe from triggering while you hit lean spikes down shifting?

ruthless

Established Member
Just a quick update. I have the car/failsafe working great after more then a few adjustments. Yep it took some time. The 2 step is holding the RPM correctly however the logs are showing a few spikes that are not correct but its honestly not a big deal because its not needed for any functions of the gauge.

I couldn't be happier with this gauge. It has been a big help for a cheap investment over a data logger. Its logging every time the car is running so there is no need to remember to push a button before a run. :rockon:

What I am working on now is related to the car and the non-prepped track conditions I race it on. I need to build less boost on the 2 step but its such a fine line that it either boggs or blows the tires off. (My goal is 2800rpm and 3psi) The other issue is that these races are started by a girl triggering the lights so the time on the T brake is never the same. Its a fun game. I got screwed one race because I was given about a second to get boost up after the other car staged. My car fell on its face. Oh well

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What if you just set the failsafe for when its under alot of boost? Cause like you said yourself thats when you'll need it most. Then dont even set it for idle/low boost. Will that keep the failsafe from triggering while you hit lean spikes down shifting?

34599f1d.jpg

Yea, it could. Here's a picture of how the failsafe limits are set up. On one axis is the air fuel ratio and on the other axis is vacuum/boost. Then there are the upper and lower limits for the AFR. As the boost increases, the limits are "tightened", that is, there's a lower margin for error.

Users who are viewing this thread