just got the double din dash kit by metra and it looks awesome

jack_feenix

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLOCL3Lz2M"]Metra Ford Mustang 2010 99-5823CH - YouTube[/nomedia]

it looks awesome and so much better than the stock radio and gets rid of all the clutter of knobs and buttons.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
My buddy has one and the led screen seems pretty crappy. Plus the compass has the directions backwards. Instead or NE it says EN

jack_feenix

Established Member
im happy with mine i allready had the system and double din and was pissed that ford made it impossible for a double din to fit and i sure as hell wasnt paying the extra for there factory touch screen and system. I like it and have no errors got rid of all those knobs and hard covered buttons for features i didnt have. To me its a good solution for anyone not wanting to keep the base radio and want to upgrade.

jack_feenix

Established Member
that scosche one looks good as hell let us know how it works out it looks a lot better than the one i got. Lcd display does resemble a early 90's pager on mine. Send some pics when u get it installed plz.

scott_0

Established Member
Metra is said to be offering an updated version soon, guess we'll see......

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
thats pretty cool. that lcd screen looks cheap though. i doubt that will last, the life of the car.

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
Looks awesome but I have a few questions.

When you get an aftermarket double din, are you losing/replacing Ford's Sync feature? If so, what brand of head-unit is out there that is able to fully replace it while retaining it's features/steering wheel controls? I know certain brands sell expensive adaptors that allow steering wheel controls to still function but I'm curious to see if anyone has done and which one they went with. Do you need to run a new mic for voice commands or can you use the factory one?

Thanks

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I'm repeating what others have said, but my take is this:

The Metra Kit is okay, but the screen looks cheap. I also read they are coming out with an update that has a screen closer to Scosch's quality.

The Scosch kit looks much better, but it is inexplicable why it maintains the OEM top screen. The only thing it will display is the compass and temperature for most folks, though I've read that it might display some Sync info if that feature is maintained with your aftermarket system. It would seem to me that the Scosch display could have displayed those.

Also, some have reported that the Scosch kit drains the battery. I'm sure that bug will be fixed soon enough.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
ive had the metra kit since last june in my 2012. screen and buttons look and operate like factory. much nicer than the factory knob controls. pictures of the kit and screen on websites made it look cheaper than it does in person. if you havent seen it installed in person than you have no idea what it looks like.the color, brightness, contrast and text is fully customizable. great kit if you want to put a high quality double din in and a good sounding aftermarket stereo. factory systems, no matter which one it is, are junk from the head unit to the speakers so it was the first to go in my car right when i got it home.

Last edited:

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
pictures taken with my phone which always seem to make images appear in the lcd that you cant see with your eyes. but it gives you idea of what it looks like
2012-02-15_13-24-24_555.jpg

2012-02-15_13-24-31_888.jpg

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
its the same kit. you can type in two lines of text. i just put "2012 mustang". as for sync, i dont know, didnt want that stuff. might be an interface out there for that

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread