Just got a Terminator, and 68 Miles later it's broke.

Zemedici

Established Member
That is an interesting comment. And one that I have never heard before....anywhere or any forum. Do you speak from experience or where did you come up with this? Nothing is perfect. Everything tears up given sufficient time and with enough abuse...as these cars are notorious for. So yeah, has a KB grenaded here and there? I'm sure it has. But likewise so has a Whipple, a TVS, Lyscholm, etc.

never heard of anything like that either.....

odd.

Seems almost.....like opinion.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Did some research last night.

Looks like the KB can be rebuilt by Jon Bond for around $1k w/ shipping. So that, plus some new pullies ($400) and I may be back in the game. Since there is only about 4 weeks left in the season, I'll just hold off till January to do anything.

Also, if I get it rebuilt, I could hit two birds with one stone and get a different pulley installed on the blower. It spins to 21psi right now with lower - I want to drop that back down to 17psi I think to keep the 93oct and fry the blower again. Looking around that should be good for 575-580whp.

if you do send to Jon Bond I would document its condition thoroughly before sending. Overall Ive heard far more good than bad but Ive seen a few where things where things went wonky.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
if you do send to Jon Bond I would document its condition thoroughly before sending. Overall Ive heard far more good than bad but Ive seen a few where things where things went wonky.

Ughh

Would I be better off rebuilding it myself? Are there instructions out there?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ughh

I havent researched him that far honestly, when I decided to upgrade my P1 to a D1 I just sent it to Procharger. I have no idea about working on a KB

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Ughh

Well if you have the time and you can find a service manual or rebuild video. I say go for it. Save your self money and maybe a headache with shipping.

I am replacing clutches and intermediate shaft in my 6r80 my self. Never done it before, but with time, a 6 month MN winter. Using service manuals and the couple video's floating around. Save myself 900-1200$

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't think you ll ever find a 2.2 that hasn't been rebuilt or needing a rebuild.

cj428mach

Established Member
This is pure, textbook conjecture. A savvy ready would immediately disregard such a statement.

Unless someone is keeping a public spreadsheet out there of damaged/rebuilt blowers its impossible to put numbers to it. A quick search of classified ads and posts will confirm what I've said. When I joined in 2012 2.2's were already known for this so they were around 9 yrs old. At the same time TVS's were out for Terminators, that was almost 7 years ago. I have yet to see 1 TVS needing a rebuild/blown up.

I've seen a few whipples needing rebuilds/been rebuilt.

Almost every KB is just how I stated.

I don't need to own one to see the obvious.

Zemedici

Established Member
Unless someone is keeping a public spreadsheet out there of damaged/rebuilt blowers its impossible to put numbers to it. A quick search of classified ads and posts will confirm what I've said. When I joined in 2012 2.2's were already known for this so they were around 9 yrs old. At the same time TVS's were out for Terminators, that was almost 7 years ago. I have yet to see 1 TVS needing a rebuild/blown up.

My girls 2.9 whipple we put on her coyote failed within 30k miles.

was at like 10 psi too, FAR under the limits of the blower.

Everyone's personal experiences are different. To say every 2.2 has been rebuilt or needs a rebuild is an exaggeration if I've ever seen one.

And I've seen PLENTY of TVS needing a rebuild / blown up....hell I sent 3 to Jokerz when I was at Injected, within the course of 2 years.

Again, everyone has different experiences.

TP03

Established Member

1db89b915a5bdf9267fde0e4081e99b8001.jpg

Last edited:

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
My girls 2.9 whipple we put on her coyote failed within 30k miles.

was at like 10 psi too, FAR under the limits of the blower.

Everyone's personal experiences are different. To say every 2.2 has been rebuilt or needs a rebuild is an exaggeration if I've ever seen one.

And I've seen PLENTY of TVS needing a rebuild / blown up....hell I sent 3 to Jokerz when I was at Injected, within the course of 2 years.

Again, everyone has different experiences.
Yep....well said. I generally agree with alot of what cj428mach says, but I categorically disagree with his blanket statement that basically says KB's are junk. In fact, KB is generally held in high regard as a leader in the industry; certainly as much as Whipple anyway.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member

upload_2018-9-21_14-17-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-21_14-17-19.png
    upload_2018-9-21_14-17-19.png
    616.2 KB · Views: 238

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
^^^ what a great contribution by this guy who has been a member for like 5 minutes! Thanks for gracing us with your presence!!

That said....I actually loved that part in Jurassic Park :)

You might read into it a little more. I was agreeing with your statement basically. I have a 2.8LC. See how the "KB" is all the way on the right, indicating that it is the least of the three? I was making the point that nobody cares about that. KB guys will still buy KB. TVS guys will still buy TVS. It's like 3 people arguing "ford" "chevy" or "dodge". They all have their high and low points. Pick the one you like.

I'm not sure why my length of membership matters, but okay. I've been here over a year. Don't be butthert.

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
You might read into it a little more. I was agreeing with your statement basically. I have a 2.8LC. See how the "KB" is all the way on the right, indicating that it is the least of the three? I was making the point that nobody cares about that. KB guys will still buy KB. TVS guys will still buy TVS. It's like 3 people arguing "ford" "chevy" or "dodge". They all have their high and low points. Pick the one you like.

I'm not sure why my length of membership matters, but okay. I've been here over a year. Don't be butthert.
I was ribbing you a little... Takes alot more than that to get me bh ;)

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you have the car retuned when you got it?
Did you have the car retuned when you got it?

Not been running long enough to do that. PHP basically said it's a waste of time until some of the other mechanical issues are taken care of - blower inspection / repair, pulley replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread