Just got a Terminator, and 68 Miles later it's broke.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
jesus what backwoods Neanderthal owned this car prior to you?

My god. recipe for disaster.

And people wonder why I've yet to track the car...

dd4c47c8-5666-4459-ac76-46b7f7d816f5_zps2uzfy2ev-jpg.688145

MG0h3

Established Member
Man I remember seeing your boost level when you first got the car and I thought you would’ve dropped it by now.

FWIW you can make about the same power on 15-16psi with most aftermarket blowers.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Man I remember seeing your boost level when you first got the car and I thought you would’ve dropped it by now.

FWIW you can make about the same power on 15-16psi with most aftermarket blowers.

It is an aftermarket blower (KB 2.2) if you are thinking I'm running a Heaton.

I've intended to drop it - the car has barely been driven because of the cycle of problem and when I do drive it, I never get run it out. I've run it out maybe 5 times since owning it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Every time I see you've reposted to your thread, I freaking shutter. Because I'm afraid I'm going to read that the entire car has literally disintegrated. I've always given you tons of respect for your stick-to-edness. Motor on, never looking back!

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member

Corbic, you've came this far with the car, might as well finish her up and make her the beast that she used to be.

Don't give up man! I feel your pain, trust me. My car was beat to crap and modified in the worst ways possible.

Now that I can drive the thing, it's great. It only took two years to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
The way I see it, is that you have basically brought this car back from the dead. Miles may not have been high, but the cut corners and hack job work that was previously done is atrocious. Stubborn isnt a strong enough word for what you are...haha

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
First...wow. This was tough to read. I can't imagine being in your shoes. Like some others have already said...I thought I had the crappiest luck around ...until I read about this abortion of a car.

Moving on...Some thoughts on your 2.2 KB: this is the blower that is on my car and has been for the last 12 years. Some who are saying you are spinning the rotor pack outside of its originally designed operating range are both right...and wrong. Generally speaking, at ~18K rpm, you are already over what KB recommends. However, it is fairly common knowledge that they also built plenty of 'buffer' into this. While technically outside of their advertised 'efficiency' range, they will perform just fine at speeds upwards of 20k rpm. Look no further than the tried and true combination of a 3.1 upper/4 lb lower. This already has the blower operating just over 18k @ 6500 rpm yet there are countless combos like this still working just fine. Swap that upper to a 2.76, and you are now just north of 20k rpm....which is also a combination routinely used especially when switching over to e85. So the question isn't so much whether or not you are over working the blower as it is are you able to effectively remove the heat it produces because with the added boost comes added heat. If you are able to remove the heat and keep IAT2's in check, the KB won't be an issue. Too many have done this as proof....myself being one of them. Your problem, at least one of them, is running pump no lead (91-93, doesn't matter, both junk fuel for these cars and that's at much lower boost levels than you are running). If you are already at 20-22 psi, it's astonishing you haven't already wiped out a ring land or worse. I did that only much much lower mileage. I would tread lightly on your current combo... ;)

All that said....KB uses an Opcon case and there ARE problems with the original OEM design. I had mine rebuilt at PSE when I went thru the engine back in 2015. They addressed some common problems and corrected them, one of which is the tendency of the rear of the rotor back to move and start grinding into the rear housing. But believe me, I know this is just one of many things you have to consider with this car you have. Best of luck to you.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
As far as the max RPM goes I have an opinion on this. Everyone worries about over spinning the blower, but it's not like the blower is at that RPM very long. It'll sit there for maybe a second or two and then you shift or decelerate. The other 90% of the time the blower is well below max RPM because the engine is at part throttle.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
As far as the max RPM goes I have an opinion on this. Everyone worries about over spinning the blower, but it's not like the blower is at that RPM very long. It'll sit there for maybe a second or two and then you shift or decelerate. The other 90% of the time the blower is well below max RPM because the engine is at part throttle.

But over all, the blower will be spinning faster RPM v RPM and that in theory will impact its life expectancy as that is more rotations = more wear.

Also, as others have said, it blows your IATs out and that will cause detonation on a car with out a knock-sensor.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
But over all, the blower will be spinning faster RPM v RPM and that in theory will impact its life expectancy as that is more rotations = more wear.

Also, as others have said, it blows your IATs out and that will cause detonation on a car with out a knock-sensor.

While it's spinning faster at a given RPM it's still well under the max.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
KB 2.2's are grenades just waiting for someone to pull the pin.

I thought that was the Gen 2 with the vented snout or whatever, the snout would snap.

I read they went to that design to save money and eliminate the external overflow.

Nadra

Bisquits and mustard
Established Member
KB 2.2's are grenades just waiting for someone to pull the pin.
That is an interesting comment. And one that I have never heard before....anywhere or any forum. Do you speak from experience or where did you come up with this? Nothing is perfect. Everything tears up given sufficient time and with enough abuse...as these cars are notorious for. So yeah, has a KB grenaded here and there? I'm sure it has. But likewise so has a Whipple, a TVS, Lyscholm, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread