Just got a Terminator, and 68 Miles later it's broke.

bssmith1220

Established Member
Coming from someone who used to work at Fastlane, you should be solid with their tune. I wouldn't let anyone else tune mine, and I live three states away now. And 600ish was always the norm for a upgraded blower car on their dyno.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on the Cobra. It looks very clean.

Thanks man!

Car's broke and I love it so much I'm not even mad. That says something!

Coming from someone who used to work at Fastlane, you should be solid with their tune. I wouldn't let anyone else tune mine, and I live three states away now. And 600ish was always the norm for a upgraded blower car on their dyno.

That's good to hear!

Local to me is Brenspeed. I don't know anything about them. I had read good things about Fastlane so your confirmation is gravy.

I got the AEM in today and hopefully that will give me a piece of mind.

Radiator won't be here till Monday. Knew I should have bought it from Summit. I'm so pissed.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I can beat you. When I bought my most recent Cobra with the whipple I snapped the tensioner in half within 1 mile from buying it! Lol. Looks good man!

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I can beat you. When I bought my most recent Cobra with the whipple I snapped the tensioner in half within 1 mile from buying it! Lol. Looks good man!

Nice.

Any recommendations on spare parts I should start to stock?

I was going to order a FRPS just to have it laying around. Seems to be a common failure.

Maybe snag a used OEM alternator and get it rebuilt to keep as a spare.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Nice.

Any recommendations on spare parts I should start to stock?

I was going to order a FRPS just to have it laying around. Seems to be a common failure.

Maybe snag a used OEM alternator and get it rebuilt to keep as a spare.

Just buy a nations and be done with alternator issues. They are annoying to change. I'd save up to change it from return-less to return as well. Safer, easier to tune and you get to relocate the annoying fuel filter! Replace the crossover cap with the stainless one or at least make sure to not let it seize.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Are you sure it is the radiator? Just judging by the fact that the car has a 1st gen KB 2.2 blower ( note the catch can), I bet the aluminum radiator expansion tank on that car is an early version. The early versions weren't very thick aluminum and were not welded well along the seams. Constant heat and expansion causes cracks to form along the welds....leading to the teakettle whistling sound you heard.

Tim

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you sure it is the radiator? Just judging by the fact that the car has a 1st gen KB 2.2 blower ( note the catch can), I bet the aluminum radiator expansion tank on that car is an early version. The early versions weren't very thick aluminum and were not welded well along the seams. Constant heat and expansion causes cracks to form along the welds....leading to the teakettle whistling sound you heard.

Tim

Hmmmmm. I've yet to pull it apart. I'll report back tonight!

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Pulled apart!

Both MaximumVelocity and my not so car savvy father are correct. The "that looks like some POS welding" overflow bust... for the second time. Looks like someone had previously attempted to repair it.

Anyone know a vendor that has them in stock near Granger, IN or Chicago, or Kzoo that would have one in stock??

Lane, Brenspeed?

Can I run a plastic one from a GT for a short term? Got a date Sunday...seriously

[video]https://youtu.be/h2XM-7ZFUMI[/video]

FCD533EE-04A3-46E0-BF52-F8FD67340F4C_zpsxbl9avl3.jpg

96319BEC-0D7D-421F-ACDA-B970AECF7807_zpsrxvn8t6e.jpg

FC84F297-DC87-4389-9960-56FAE404D3BA_zpsejzlskjk.jpg

RichM1983

Established Member
GT one is the same. Might find a junk yard nearby that has one. They are usually nasty on the inside tho.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Well I'm on Fordparts.com

Is there away to see if a dealer has inventory? Plastic tank is $118 and from what I've read on STVP it's better then the Aluminium one. It just is not as pretty.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I got a weep hole in my plastic one and switched over to the Moroso tank. I was lucky in that the seam of the plastic tank allows for enough fluid left in the tank to ensure it doesn't introduce air into the system. I guess if you have the crack on the lower part of the tank then you lost of all the overflow fluid and possibly introduced air into the system. You may want to check and top off the crossover tube.

If air did get into the system - the would more than likely be the cause of the overheating. You will need to burp the system.

at least the tank is easier to replace compared to the radiator.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Once I get a tank, I'll burp the system in accordance with the posted instructions.

I'll still need to test the fans as well.

Also, while on the subject of cooling - how do I check to see if the head cooling mod was done? Considering the age of the S/C, I'm guessing it has not been. Is that a critical mod? What would a shop charge to do that? I have the ability, just not the heart and motivation. (Jack up, drop exhaust, drop trans, and install?)

04Cobra03

Established Member
By the way, if you want to test the fans, I believe when you turn the A/C on, the computer automatically turns the fans on. Very nice car!

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
By the way, if you want to test the fans, I believe when you turn the A/C on, the computer automatically turns the fans on. Very nice car!

Thanks man! For the complement and advice!

I'm going stir crazy waiting for the dealers to all open at 8:30!!!

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Nearest Dealer is God Damn milwaukee!!

Lane Automotive has one!!! Thank you Jesus!!

By My deeds I honor him, V8!

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
0A6A3C30-827E-4D94-A87F-F081769E484C_zpshby9pphg.jpg

Lane to the rescue! Canton $160. OEM style cap this time. Much beefier then the old one!

Thanks Ford!

2319AE15-E0B7-42B5-AD1B-188CDCD6C3B5_zpsro8dm0no.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/YZMnB5wnF4Q[/video]

Burp baby!!

I'll do a full flush when I change out the Tstat and install a SS plug.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Survived a road trip.

39A494DA-50F7-4F08-96DC-0FEFBF3FDBDC_zpscl8oinyx.jpg

D9DC417E-13C8-43F7-B279-0FA46F2E6217_zpshzgyof32.jpg

Looks like I'm getting 10mpg in town and 17mpg highway. Not shocked just a little disappointed. I was hoping for closer to 13/20.

Lots of tire scrubbing on the highway with roads translations. That low life.

Magnaflows and shifter also drone doing 80 in 6th. I'll start looking for replacement cat-back and I believe their was a FAQ on how to quite the shifter buzz.

Overall I love the car. It's a beast.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I wouldn't be too worried about the MPG with this car. I average about 12MPG in town with the Stock tune. If I take it really easy on the throttle I can get it up to 14MPG - but what it is the point in that?

On the road I tend to get slightly less than 20MPG (normally cruising at 80-85 MPH).

I imagine the KB makes your car slightly more thirsty than what my car is.

CobraBob sells a silicone gasket set for the shifter. I installed one on my car very early on. I can't remember how it sounded before the switch anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread