Just for people wondering whats under the GT500...

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
I remember seeing a lot of people at the Detroit auto show sticking there cameras under the car, It has a one piece carbon fiber driveshaft but even with a camera stick you wouldn't have been able to see it since its carbon fiber and so close to the exhaust it has a heat shield covering it. So now you know.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
We know it's a fiber shaft. No mystery there. What is a matter to be seen is if Ford uses splined, billet ends (ala the '13-'14 GT500) or if they try to chemically bond the ends in place this time around.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I thought the link would go directly to your pictures of the driveshaft, guess I was wrong.

'13-'14 GT500

shaft4.jpg

splines.jpg

Update: Fixed previous link.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Those splined ends proved to be very expensive but worked well. Something tells me Ford went the cheaper route this time but I suppose it doesn't matter if they found a way to make it work without issues after repeated, long term abuse.

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
Looks like its the same as those pictures (carbon looks nicer), I assume they attached the balance weights on those billet bells as they are on this new one also.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I've yet to see photographic evidence that gave any indication at all as to the construction. We know the tube material is CF because Ford has said as much but beyond that....crickets.

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
They actually are using spaghetti and meatballs this time around. Lighter and stronger.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Those splined ends proved to be very expensive but worked well. Something tells me Ford went the cheaper route this time but I suppose it doesn't matter if they found a way to make it work without issues after repeated, long term abuse.

Put some 3M 5200 on it and it’ll hold.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
However the means and methods, it'll be interesting comparing the latest version to that of the '13/'14 GT500. No doubt it'll be even more robust. I'm just glad Ford engineers know how to engineer a beefy driveline unlike, cough cough, Dodge and their glass-like rears.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If that is a 2020 GT500 driveshaft then Ford looks to be once again using splined ends on the inserts. Winding pattern looks different and I wonder if Ford is using a different supplier for the tube.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I don't know if it is a 2020 GT500 driveshaft, but it is different than the 2013-14. As far as I know the 2013-14 GT500's are the only cars to receive a carbon fiber driveshaft until Ford stated that the 2020 GT500 comes equipped with one.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
RJM, do you know if the cv joints and the splined ends are again coming from Neapco?

Users who are viewing this thread