Just dyno tuned with blower...couple questions...IAT2 data and passenger spark plugs

cheeser

Established Member
Just had my VMP Stage one kit tuned locally. Same shop dyno car at 560 RWHP last year, now 605 after their tune.

Shop noticed passenger side spark plugs have some carbon on the plugs, while none of driver side do. Shop seemed to think the passenger side catalytic converter may be failing and obstructing flow. Does that seem likely? They do want to check out the cats with an IR camera. I was encountering an intermittent P219A code...that’s on the passenger side bank.

After the tune, I can no longer see the IAT2 data on my OBD scanner or the LiveLink software used to datalog. The devices can’t seem to see this PID. Can a tune impact the PID by reming it? From my understanding, IAT2 data is needed by the engine...pulls power if too high.

crjackson

Established Member
Shop noticed passenger side spark plugs have some carbon on the plugs, while none of driver side do. Shop seemed to think the passenger side catalytic converter may be failing and obstructing flow. Does that seem likely? They do want to check out the cats with an IR camera. I was encountering an intermittent P219A code...that’s on the passenger side bank.

Good possibility. Unchecked you could burn a piston I’m told. My tuner recommended going catless to avoid the possibility of destroying the engine.

stang910

Established Member
My guess is your new tuner is using your original strategy. There's a switch to turn on IAT2, but i don't think its functional. Far as I know you gotta use the FRPP Whipple or Roush strategy to get the IAT2 to function. I would want this fixed.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Highly recommend going catless if you clog up a cat you're going to destroy your engine. It's not a matter of if it will happen but when...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cheeser

Established Member
Talked with tuner...he said he didn’t enable it...will enable this week when I bring it back in. He wanted me to put a few miles on it with fresh gas, put on dyno, and double check everything.

As for cats, have to have them where I live. I checked the cat temps via my reader....both match closely in temps and not getting any codes. I’m not seeing the P219A code after 3 days of driving and about 350 miles...that’s good.

I originally encountered the P219A code soon after installing the VMP...VMP didn’t see a problem bAsed on datalogs...would see the code anywhere from 1 mile to 100 miles after clearing. Keeping fingers crossed Local tune corrected that...which VMP didn’t.

crjackson

Established Member
Here’s a thought on the cats...

You have to have them I assume for emissions testing. I’m not sure what headers you have, but with the Kooks I have, I can throw on a catted H-Pipe for inspection, then swap back to catless afterwards.

cheeser

Established Member
Here’s a thought on the cats...

You have to have them I assume for emissions testing. I’m not sure what headers you have, but with the Kooks I have, I can throw on a catted H-Pipe for inspection, then swap back to catless afterwards.

No headers, just different mufflers

crjackson

Established Member
I highly recommend a good set of headers. I’m told Headers help move the heat out of the engine quickly, which helps you protect your engine.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
A lot of people talk about cats blowing out at high power. But what about the factory cars? GT500's and Red Eyes come with power levels a lot of us aim for and have no issues with cats.

IMO I think a lot of it is the cat protection stuff is turned off by the tuners. Why I don't know. But I managed to have a set of aftermarket cats live for a little over 20k miles at 650-700rwhp. Those same cats are currently on my 04, but I was at "low power" for about 15k of the last 17k miles.

crjackson

Established Member
A lot of people talk about cats blowing out at high power. But what about the factory cars? GT500's and Red Eyes come with power levels a lot of us aim for and have no issues with cats.

It happens to them too. My neighbors new Roush burned down 2 new engines under warranty before the dealership found the cause to be a restricted CAT.

Sure, it doesn’t happen to everyone, but my car isn’t under warranty, and I can’t afford to just let the dice roll, and test my luck.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Get rid of the cats! I put a vmp gen 2 on and in 5000mi the cat clogged and I had a spun bearing. Still not 100% sure what happened but the theory is extra back pressure stressed the bearing. Everything was toast block, cams, heads, thats what lead me to a built shortblock.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It happens to them too. My neighbors new Roush burned down 2 new engines under warranty before the dealership found the cause to be a restricted CAT.

Sure, it doesn’t happen to everyone, but my car isn’t under warranty, and I can’t afford to just let the dice roll, and test my luck.

But the Roush isn't factory supercharged. It was supercharged after the it left the build plant. GT500's, Hellcats, and Demons leave the build line with superchargers. And Dodge must have something figured out to allow a race gas tune that's still warrantied.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I don't know how the factory can have cats that survive with superchargers but I won't have them on a car that I modify. If you have a warranty you could just take it back and have them fix it.

cheeser

Established Member
Looks like my tuner is using HP Tuner software....the IAT2 data is called MCT (Manifold Charge Temperature)....odd they decided to change. I can see the data via the SCT LiveLink software on a laptop, but not the OBDII reader and phone app (Dash Commander)....will try another phone app as its more convenient than a laptop.

Tuner also put it back on the dyno today and double checked everything....all seems fine based on the data....cats seem ok as well. Car is now at 609 vs the 560 from the stock VMP tune.

One positive is I am no longer seeing the P219A code (passenger side air-fuel ratio imbalance) drove it 400+ miles in the mtns and a couple of tanks of gas from a different gas station.

Its odd VMP couldn't figure the P219A code issue out with their tune and review of the data logs...their suggestion was to replace upstream passenger side O2 sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread