Just came from dyno with questions about my A/F ratio

HPLouis

Established Member
I just came from the dyno to check my A/F ratio and above 3500, I’m going to 10.9 and even 10.4 in places. For my MAF xfer function, I added 5% more fuel at the top to compensated for the 3.1 pulley but it seems like I don’t need to add the fuel and can just run the stock MAF xfer.

IMG_1166.JPG

My tuner said to leave it alone. With this A/F ratio and 18 degrees of timing, I’m totally safe and it’s hard to find parts for these motors so don’t break it.

I’m thinking of running the stock MAF xfer function and 20 degrees. I think it’ll be safe and give me a little more powe.

What do you guys think? Mod list is real simple, 3.1 pulley, catted h pipe and Stinger Catback.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would lean it out a little. Being too rich can wash out the rings. You'll probably still need to tweak the transfer. I run 11.5 through the range and had to add fuel on the top. I'm only running 18 degrees of timing. No problems so far.

HPLouis

Established Member
I would lean it out a little. Being too rich can wash out the rings. You'll probably still need to tweak the transfer. I run 11.5 through the range and had to add fuel on the top. I'm only running 18 degrees of timing. No problems so far.

Yeah, I still need some tweaking on the XFer function. It’s getting tiring doing pulls on the street. I might just have to rent dyno time and be done with it.

Just spoke to the tuner and he said that he’d be more worried about washing down the cylinder walls at idle or cruise.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

04torchred

Established Member
I have a 6lb lower that will go nicely with that 3.1" upper to lean you out!

I would lean it out some you don't need to be that rich, target 11.4-11.6.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
he actually said it's hard to find parts for these motor's?

HPLouis

Established Member
Who's tuning the car, you or the tuner you referenced? If you had it on the dyno, why isn't it dialed in then?

I'm using the Pro Racer Package so I'm tuning it but the shop that sells the PRP helps me. I can send them datalogs, dyno graphs, etc. I'm only using them for WOT tuning since the car is essentially stock.

HPLouis

Established Member
he actually said it's hard to find parts for these motor's?

Maybe he's saying that to help me save money. He knows my goal is really just a stock car with exhaust just to putt around town on the weekends so why risk blowing a motor trying to pick up a few more horsepower for boulevard cruising?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe he's saying that to help me save money. He knows my goal is really just a stock car with exhaust just to putt around town on the weekends so why risk blowing a motor trying to pick up a few more horsepower for boulevard cruising?

I think what he said was pretty far fetched. There's tons of every part still readily available for these cars and they can take tons of hp and abuse right from the factory.

How do you like the PRP? I want to start tuning my own stuff and more than likely I'm going to try HP tuners because I haven't heard the best things about SCT software

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I consider mine pretty safe. It's been like that for close to 3 years now. I probably spent more time dialing in the part throttle than anything else.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think what he said was pretty far fetched. There's tons of every part still readily available for these cars and they can take tons of hp and abuse right from the factory.

How do you like the PRP? I want to start tuning my own stuff and more than likely I'm going to try HP tuners because I haven't heard the best things about SCT software

I've been using PRP since 2007ish. The only issue I've had is the recent EPA thing. But that was easily resolved. For me at least. HP seems decent, but you might want to look into something that does the live tuning.

HPLouis

Established Member

I've been using the PRP since 2004-2005 or so. I remember buying it from Modular Depot and Don LaSota on the phone with me constantly helping me tune a Vortech blown 95 Cobra R with a SNEEC and a DynoJet Wideband Commander. We had that car running smooth. Before that, I was using the TwEECer. I sold the Cobra R in 2006 and just came back into tuning in 2016 when I bought a 2004 Mystichrome so I was out for 10 years and a lot has changed.

I like the PRP but it depends on the support you get. The SCT forums are dead (back in the day, they were really good) so you're pretty much on your own. I've been lucky to have Don and Jim D'Amore helping me with my tunes. If I had to do it alone, I wouldn't have been able to do it. I also don't know anything about the other tuning software so I'm not really a good source. I know there are others that have live tuning so that's much more convenient.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
yea see that's what I'm nervous about, I don't have any more contact with the guys who did know sct very well so if I hit a wall I'll pretty much be SOL. HP has a very good support system and their forums are very active.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
yea see that's what I'm nervous about, I don't have any more contact with the guys who did know sct very well so if I hit a wall I'll pretty much be SOL. HP has a very good support system and their forums are very active.

I think there's still enough of us using SCT that if you posted on here you wouldn't be SOL. If HP is supporting our cars I would give it a hard look. I looked into when my buddy was wanting me to tune his Charger. And if I had ever gotten around to tuning the wife's old 06 GT I would've gone with HP for it.

HPLouis

Established Member
There is a lot of help here too. I've gotten help from slo984now, decipha, there is the Facebook forum, 03-04 Cobra Tech (it's run by a popular guy but I forgot his name at the moment, he does a lot of remote tuning here too), and 2 more guys on here that I can't recall their names at the moment.

Also, I search the forums here through Google (i.e. spark tuning site:www.svtperformance.com). These cars have been out for 15-16 years so a lot of the hard work has been done already.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I think there's still enough of us using SCT that if you posted on here you wouldn't be SOL. If HP is supporting our cars I would give it a hard look. I looked into when my buddy was wanting me to tune his Charger. And if I had ever gotten around to tuning the wife's old 06 GT I would've gone with HP for it.

someone from HP chimed in in another tuning thread when I asked if there was ever going to be a platform for our cars and they just came out with it. The mpvi2 and the vcm suite apparently are completely compatible with our ecu. My ultimate goal is to start tuning on the side on different vehicles so I want something that's pretty much universal

There is a lot of help here too. I've gotten help from slo984now, decipha, there is the Facebook forum, 03-04 Cobra Tech (it's run by a popular guy but I forgot his name at the moment, he does a lot of remote tuning here too), and 2 more guys on here that I can't recall their names at the moment.

Also, I search the forums here through Google (i.e. spark tuning site:www.svtperformance.com). These cars have been out for 15-16 years so a lot of the hard work has been done already.

yes, that is the one excellent part about our cars and this website specifically. there's so much information if you know where to look which is why I haven't completely written it off

Users who are viewing this thread