Just Bought my car, few basic questions

94WhiteCobra

Hey,
I bought my 94 cobra about a week ago, and I noticed that the front wheels have a lot of negative chamber on them (tops tilt in towards middle). Is this normal? I was thinking I have to replace the suspension bushings in the control arms. So on that note, are there any performance bushings out there besides polyurathane? I dont really want to have them squeak a lot and I'm not planning on autocrossing the car.
Also, the car comes from michigan, and has a lot of rust underneath it, has anybody dealt with this before?? I was planning on sandblasting the undercarrige components and painting the unibody with POR - 15. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks for your time.

94 cobra

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Welcome Aboard!

How many miles on the car? Maybe the previous owner had the alignment done like that?
Suspension parts: I'd look at Kenny Brown, or Steeda, or Maximum Motorsports, to name a few.

No experience with alot of rust underneith... I suppose the poor snake was either driven in the winter or just not stored properly.

SC Cobra

Established Member
congrats on the cobra:lol:

my 95 has the same problem, there is alot of negative camber in it, the inside of my tires are starting to go bold, for that i'm guessing you will have to take it to an alignment shop and have them deal with it because thats what i'm gonna have to do. i got urathane bushings as will, but i just left my in there cause i just don't want to deal with it.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The urethane shouldn't give a squeaking problem, since most are in places that have a zerk fitting anyway. They are more durable than the old rubber stuff for certain. This gives them a much longer service life. You may want to think about some adjustable caster/camber plates. They aren't too expensive and allow for a much better adjustment of your suspension.

Coongrats on the Cobra!

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Lemme ask this...
IS the care lowered and/OR does it already have djustable caster/camber plates on it?

94WhiteCobra

No, the car does not have the caster/chamber adjustment plates. And NO, the car is not lowered, this is about as stock as they come. Thanks for all the help.

94 Cobra

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Okay... cleared that. How many miles on the car? Guess it's time to look at balljoints and/or radius arm bushings?

94WhiteCobra

It has 51000, and yeah, i suppose the ball joints would be a prime suspect since the car is kinda twitchy over bumps. Thanks again.

94 Cobra

Users who are viewing this thread