just bought 91 fox for 1/4 only

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Hey guys just picked up a 91 4cyl 5speed mustang for 670bucks little to no rust on the car. I want to make it into a full out drag car not a overnight project i keep saying a 10 year project lol. plan on running it in 8s maybe even 7s eventually like to start out in 10s for sure on motor, since my cobra could run that now don't want my drag car slower than my street car. For the winter i'd like to gut it take out everything and get it legal for those times and worry about drive train later. what will i need to do? or start to do i'd like it ready for 7s now and not worry about it later just have to up the power on the motor and go for it. If you'd like could give me a some hints on what kind of motors, transmissions and rear ends to look at plus suspension. this is all new to me and can't wait to start this.

DRCjasper

Established Member
First off, sounds like you have a realistic time frame in mind which is good. Also getting it legal first and making power later is smart! There's a WHOLE lot of stuff needed to be able to pass tech in a 7-8 second car. Best advise is to do a ton of planning before buying and build it right the first time. You can always run 10s in a car equipped for 8s but you don't want to build for 10s and have to redo your work. I suggest you start with the NHRA rule book and start making notes as to what applies to you. Cage, window net, helmet, fire suit, etc. are all given but there are tons of other items as well. Bell housing, wheel studs, fire extinguisher, driveshaft safety loop, are just a couple others that aren't often as obvious. Of course, you'll need an NHRA license for single digits as well. I'm not even gonna comment on the drivetrain at this time. Wish you luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread