Jumped right into a whipple 2.3, help me with supporting mods on a budget

jrichber

browser
Established Member
I am running about as basic as mods as you can get for the 2.3. KB BAP, 80lb injectors. Mine has the 3" pulley putting around 17lbs of boost. I was somehow still able to run with the stock MAF. Never did ask my tuner how close it was to maxed out, but with my tune the car runs great. Numbers below.

04Cobra1988

Established Member
Last question I promise !

Ordering the Dual DW kit from Lethal on Monday, my shop is going to do the install for me as I just don’t have the time right now.

Lining up the Whipple, Injectors, and the DW kit install should be fine correct ? Might order some TR6’s as well and have them install and gap them for me at .32.

The DW twin kit should be direct plug and play for my numbers correct ? I know a lot of people modify or run twin FPDM’s but I’m trying to keep it simple as possible. My shop is not necessarily a speed shop by any means but they take their time and do very good work.

I have a very reputable tuner roughly 2 hours from me that owns a Cobra himself, he’s going to send me a base safe tune to get the car there and then he’ll look after me but I want to make sure my fuel set up is simple and proper.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Last question I promise !

Ordering the Dual DW kit from Lethal on Monday, my shop is going to do the install for me as I just don’t have the time right now.

Lining up the Whipple, Injectors, and the DW kit install should be fine correct ? Might order some TR6’s as well and have them install and gap them for me at .32.

The DW twin kit should be direct plug and play for my numbers correct ? I know a lot of people modify or run twin FPDM’s but I’m trying to keep it simple as possible. My shop is not necessarily a speed shop by any means but they take their time and do very good work.

I have a very reputable tuner roughly 2 hours from me that owns a Cobra himself, he’s going to send me a base safe tune to get the car there and then he’ll look after me but I want to make sure my fuel set up is simple and proper.

You can stay single FPDM, but look into a modified one. The bigger pumps tend to overheat the stock FPDM and that isnt a good thing. I think the SN of the guy is @Black306 on here that sells a modified FPDM. DO NOT run a stock single. Please. It's just not a good idea. I know it's more money, but do you want to keep your motor healthy or risk it over a couple hundred dollars? Not being a dick, just being honest here. I ran a single modified FPDM, GT pumps in a modified stock hat with a -6 feed line on my posi ported Eaton setup with 80s years ago. It made 552/575 and ran great. That was on E85. Ran a wire upgrade and BAP too. I didnt want to go lean at any cost. Car saw 130-132 in the 1/4 too, so it wasnt a "happy dyno with inflated numbers". Just knew that fuel supply is of the utmost importance and tried to always be on the side of more than needed to attempt to eliminate any issues on that end. These motors arent cheap to rebuild. Not sure if I made my point here, so I'll say it again. Please do yourself a favor and upgrade that FPDM. Haha. Good luck man. Keep us posted.

CobraSam

Established Member
I feel like going with a budget return fuel system is your best bet. It’s only a few more dollars than what you’re going to be spending. Get rid of the FPDM and simplify the fuel system. Throw in some 465 pumps and never have to worry about fuel. Also, your tuner will thank you. This idea hits all of the goals you are trying to achieve.

Do a little research on the difference between return vs return less and the pro and cons of both. Then make your decision

cj428mach

Established Member
60lb injectors if E85 isn't in your future (i'd avoid 80's as some people have had idle issues on gas with them), BA2600, Level 1 Fore Return system, and a tune.

Now if you decide to upgrade later the blower will have to come off and somethings may need to be upgraded again so plan ahead. A BAP might take care of your fuel system but I was reading something by a well known tuner saying BAP's just don't get it done anymore maybe because the fuel pumps on these cars are almost 20yrs old now. I ran a BAP at 15psi with a Whipple on my white car and it was at the limits of what i felt comfortable on duty cycle, my old SB car with the exact same blower was able to 17psi with plenty of duty cycle and it had 10x the miles of my white car.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Budget and quality are not really synonymous. Do it right the first time and be done with it. I would go return style with 465lph pumps, and ID1050X injectors. Sure FICs are cheaper but most tuners prefer ID due to their usability.

04Cobra1988

Established Member
Little update -

Unfortunately I'm changing up the fueling for now, I know this is not the best idea but it works right now for my budget. The gentleman that I bought the used blower off of gave me a heck of a deal on his old BA2600 and KB BAP, both were on the car for under a year.

I already have dyno scheduled for the 22nd and my tuner has told me he will tune it with the BAP but did mention upgrading should be done when I can.

If I have the car tuned with the BAP and choose to swap for DW pumps and a modified FPDM would I need to bring the car back to the tuner?

CobraSam

Established Member
More important: If you touch your fuel system again, you should absolutely got to a return fuel system. Get rid of that stock fuel system, bap and fpdm. Anything else would be foolish IMO. You are already messing with the fuel system, so just do it right and be done. (next time)
In that case, you will absolutely need a re-tune.

04Cobra1988

Established Member
More important: If you touch your fuel system again, you should absolutely got to a return fuel system. Get rid of that stock fuel system, bap and fpdm. Anything else would be foolish IMO. You are already messing with the fuel system, so just do it right and be done. (next time)
In that case, you will absolutely need a re-tune.
Yeah, I'll most likely go full return with the budget allows....most likely next winter. I'm thinking I'll put on a 3.125 or a 3.25 pulley and keep the boost around 14-16lbs....I'd be content with 560ish this year and then perhaps pulley down and go budget return the next year.

Not thrilled about the BAP but it's the difference now between getting the car done and ready for summer or waiting until later in the summer or over the winter.

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
Yeah, I'll most likely go full return with the budget allows....most likely next winter. I'm thinking I'll put on a 3.125 or a 3.25 pulley and keep the boost around 14-16lbs....I'd be content with 560ish this year and then perhaps pulley down and go budget return the next year.

Not thrilled about the BAP but it's the difference now between getting the car done and ready for summer or waiting until later in the summer or over the winter.

Hey OP, any updates with how your tune went? I am in the middle of my 2.3 Whipple swap along with the supporting mods. I plan to run the DW300 pumps with a dual FPDM.

04Cobra1988

Established Member
Hey OP, any updates with how your tune went? I am in the middle of my 2.3 Whipple swap along with the supporting mods. I plan to run the DW300 pumps with a dual FPDM.
Haven't been able to get it tuned yet, had to reschedule and still on the fence with what I'm going to do as far as fuel goes and I just can't seem to make up my mind. I got a great deal on a KB BAP but I'm still not sure if that's the route I'm going to go. Just going to take my time, had the car out a few times the other day and I'm just going to enjoy it for a bit while I think on the decision. I only purchased the call last October so I've put maybe 1000km's on it since....most likely enjoy the car this Summer then save/plan for doing the modified FPDM from Black306 along with twin DW pumps.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If I was in your shoes, I'd wait to install the 2.3 until you can upgrade the fuel system how you want. Even if that means another year or so.

Just enjoy the car how it is for now. You haven't owned it for that long.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

04Cobra1988

Established Member
Update again -
I'm still piecing things together but I'm selling the KB BAP, I ordered and received a modified FPDM from Black306...phenomenal service !

I've also located and purchased two GT pumps that were only on a car for a few months, I got a great deal on them so it looks like I'm going this route.

Question for you fine folks is that the pumps that I've purchased are pumps only & prefilter. Will I need to purchase an install kit or will they just utilize the components of my current system?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You can get them to work with the stock hat. You can pick up a PPRV delete kit since you'll be in there and that should give you all you need.

Users who are viewing this thread