Jumped right into a whipple 2.3, help me with supporting mods on a budget

04Cobra1988

Established Member
First off, thanks in advanced for the assistance. Purchased my 04 Cobra last fall, roughly 90k miles but it’s very clean and well taken care of. Current mods from PO are pulley down, Flowmaster exhaust, H&R race springs, CF clutch, Subframe connectors and 4.10’s in the rear.

I came across a great deal on a Gen2 2.3 whipple last week and I couldn’t turn it down. Comes with Accufab TB and a couple pullies, blower only has 7500mi on it and it’s in great shape.

That being said I’m looking at the most cost efficient way to get this thing on my car, I’m fine with 560-600rwhp on 94....currently making 472.

Would 60-80lb Injectors + the dual DW 340’s from Lethal get me there fairly safe ?

I’ll most likely upgrade to a 26 input shaft when the tranny needs rebuilt but for now I’d just like to make this work and I’m willing to sacrifice HP to make it happen. My long term goal with this car would be 600rwhp max.

I’m also going to swap the heat exchanger and 4.10’s within the next year or two.

Let me know your thoughts.

thanks

CobraSam

Established Member
Others with more experience with that power can correct me, as I’m just a ported Eaton.
I believe you’d be ok with keeping the fuel pumps stock, adding a BAP, 60 pound injectors and either a Mafia or SCT MAF.

04Cobra1988

Established Member
I ended up getting mine for roughly 1800USD, forgot to add that I will need a MAF. Price of the BAP is only a little cheaper than the dual DW's....seems like they'd be the smarter option?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
BAP with the upgraded wiring kit + 60lb injectors + bigger MAF would do it. Plenty of volume unless you intend to go E85 in the future.
You plan to get rid of the 4.10s? If that's the case, it'd be a great time to look at doing the IRS bushings, especially on a 90k mile car. (My car had 4.10s in it when I bought it and I hated them. Back to stock 3.55s now. Muuuch nicer to drive.)
Just as a side note, my stock clutch was slipping slightly on the dyno at 540rwhp. I might look at taking care of the clutch and input shaft before adding another 100+hp.

04Cobra1988

Established Member
BAP with the upgraded wiring kit + 60lb injectors + bigger MAF would do it. Plenty of volume unless you intend to go E85 in the future.
You plan to get rid of the 4.10s? If that's the case, it'd be a great time to look at doing the IRS bushings, especially on a 90k mile car. (My car had 4.10s in it when I bought it and I hated them. Back to stock 3.55s now. Muuuch nicer to drive.)
Just as a side note, my stock clutch was slipping slightly on the dyno at 540rwhp. I might look at taking care of the clutch and input shaft before adding another 100+hp.
I do already have a CenterForce clutch so I should be good there, the bushing were also redone last year before I purchased. Would the BAP be alot easier than changing the pumps?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
BAP is mostly a matter of splicing and dicing some wiring in the driver's side rear quarter if I remember right. Changing the pumps would require dropping the tank. Maybe someone else will chime in. I can't recall the BAP wiring details at the moment.

CobraSam

Established Member
I was suggesting a BAP for ease of installation as apposed to the DW pumps. Which would be a good option, but a BAP is easier and more in line with a budget.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Biggest thing about the BAP is wiring it before the FPDM and making sure it's 100% all of the time. I ran one in the past, but I just wasn't a fan. It was only supposed to be until I made the switch to return, but I ended up selling the car before all that happened.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I would upgrade pumps. Even the GT pumps are a good upgrade. My buddy just sold his old Fore hat with GT pumps actually. So there are deals out there.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I think your plan of 60lb injectors and the DW pumps is a solid one.

In the past I have ran a BAP and 60s and have reached the 600 mark (TVS). but these pumps are old. I would feel better about swapping them out. Its simple enough.

If you already have an aftermarket clutch, you should be good to go! a good set of idlers/snub idler if your still on stockers....I'm not sure what pulley youll need to reach 600

04Cobra1988

Established Member
Appreciate the insight everyone, I reached out to my tuner as well and he said to find whatever the best deal is between the 60/80lbs as both will work, prefers to tune the BA3000 but told me to spend the extra money on the twin DW's...he's not a fan of the BAP. Basically echoed the above, said BAP work but relying on 17 year old pumps to handle the load is a little risky.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
This being an older car, swap those pumps. You don’t want to go lean. Its game over if you do under high boost. You definitely need to install a wide band if you don’t already have one also.

Edit: I read O.P’s last post half asleep. I’m glad you’re swapping pumps!
May I make one more suggestion??? Just plan for E85, because you will want more out of your setup. E85 is a miracle fuel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

04Cobra1988

Established Member
Sorry boys - I need some more assistance. I received the 2.3 and it looks fantastic, it came with a 3.5 on the blower and a separate 2.85. I’ll be running 93 Octane with a 90MM Pro billet idler (My metco just crapped out on me upon first start since October).

Do you guys feel I should run the 3.5 and see what I make, risk it with the 2.85 or order a 3”?

Currently still on the stock intake, catted xpipe, stock manifolds.

Also seller informed me that it was a Gen1 so my mistake, it must be a later model Gen1 though because it does have the sight glass for the oil.

MG0h3

Established Member
The 2.85 pulley would be your E85 pulley.

You could probably run a 3.25 on 93

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

04Cobra1988

Established Member
The 2.85 pulley would be your E85 pulley.

You could probably run a 3.25 on 93

Thanks - I’m afraid if I get it tuned on the 3.5 I’d end up around 525-540 and my tuner is 2hrs away. Rather get the pulley combo dialed in beforehand...I’ll be running Canadian 94 which is similar to America’s 93 lol
Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

04Cobra1988

Established Member
Not sure why the reply didn’t work on my phone but my fear is running it with the 3.5, making 540-550 and having to return to my tuner...he’s 2hrs away so I’d rather get the combo right the first time.

CobraSam

Established Member
Side note OP, thanks for bringing this topic up, especially about the pumps. My car is in the middle of some work and you, and the other fine folks on here, have convinced me to look into my fuel system as well.
I’m just a ported Eaton with all the other bolt ons, fresh engine rebuild with some upgrades. I’ve decided to go with the Lethal Budget System and the Walbro 465 pumps. This will give me plenty of room to grow as a whipple is in my future. So thanks everyone for helping dump even more $ into this car!!

gtmustang00

Established Member
I would do GT pumps in stock or Fore hat. 2 Stock FPDM's. Injectors. Maf. Will be all you need for that blower. I made 700rwhp for many years with that set up.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
GT pumps in Fore hat with dual fpdm's, injectors, maf and the 3" pulley on 93 will be all you need for the Whipple 2.3. Also do the wiring upgrade.

04Cobra1988

Established Member
Any big gains with high boost or an RAI over the stock intake? Trying to hold off on spending any extra but would really like to get to the 570-600rwhp range.

Users who are viewing this thread