Judging interest for road course nuts - brake part.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Just a simple thread to judge interest.

Ok, so the dual master cylinder with balance bar assembly didnt fit my big block shelby. As I'm staring at it, I'm realizing that it just may very well fit the '03 with slight modification to the bolt pattern on the mounting bracket.

Say for instance we could put a dual master cylinder assembly with a balance bar on the end of the hydro-boost assembly. that would let us adjust brake bias (from the passenger compartment should you decide to add a cable and knob). Would you be interested in such a thing? It would take a handful of units to get the price down past smack-in-the-face, but you knew that already.

I'll be doing the legwork and testing on bore size and the link between the 03 brake pedal and the balance bar ahead of time.

on edit: this will not be a simple bolt-on. there may be some cutting/drilling involved. it may require mounting remote reservoirs and/or relocating the fuse box, but if you have the mm strut tower brace you already curse the fuse box location.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I could be wrong but... I'm thinking this is a pretty hard core race only type mod that may not be an open tracker's "cup of tea".

Not to down play the advantages of adjustable brake bias... but given the typical length of most events...the fuel load and its effect on braking is probably beyond what most of us "hobbyist" are able to detect..... let alone compensate for safely and effectively.

The ABS does an outstanding job of taking most of "the dummy effect" OUT of MY driving technique.

Now guys like the Tonester, and Bruce and a few others that are real racers or some that are pretty close to it... they may find some value there.

Perhaps some guys that have done MEGA BIG BRAKES may need something like that.. especially the ones that perhaps went too big in the rear braking department.

My intent was not to gunk up your thread with negativity... but I think I may have done that anyways.... sorry. :(

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
well as it stands now the only way we have of adjusting the bias front to back is with the pad selection.

im also having trouble finding a way to package it while still keeping the hydroboost.

240.jpg

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
ok, i can do this if i nix the hydroboost which is no big deal. i want power steering because im lazy, but i want manual brakes because im a road course nut and i want to feel what my brakes are doing.

losing the power assist is easy enough. there are adapter plates out there. it requires drilling of the brake pedal arm to raise the attachment point of the master cylinder pushrod. this gives you more mechanical advantage when pressing the pedal. it also lessens the travel, but thats not really an issue in this context. as long as you have an inch of piston travel in the master cylinder, you should be good to go.

i may very well do this mod just as an exercise in frustration. yeah i know its way overkill, but it could be a stepping stone to bigger brake kits.

you can dial in the brake bias not only via the balance bar, but also in the piston size of the seperate master cylinders. as an example, 1" bore for massive front brakes, and 3/4" bore for the smaller rear calipers.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
well as it stands now the only way we have of adjusting the bias front to back is with the pad selection.

im also having trouble finding a way to package it while still keeping the hydroboost.

240.jpg

Who makes that unit?

Users who are viewing this thread