John Lund Jr talks about the future of tuning.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
“According to the EPA, its National Compliance Initiative, which "will focus on stopping the manufacture, sale, and installation of defeat devices on vehicles and engines used on public roads as well as on nonroad vehicles and engines," is slated to run from 2020 through 2023”
And we all know how those alphabet soup agencies like to relinquish power and authority...

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
“According to the EPA, its National Compliance Initiative, which "will focus on stopping the manufacture, sale, and installation of defeat devices on vehicles and engines used on public roads as well as on nonroad vehicles and engines," is slated to run from 2020 through 2023”
Wow.
Just so I'm on the same page, I think that only refers to emissions stuff, correct? Not performance oriented items like superchargers, cat backs and intakes. Only if it defeats emissions, I think they are going after.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow.
Just so I'm on the same page, I think that only refers to emissions stuff, correct? Not performance oriented items like superchargers, cat backs and intakes. Only if it defeats emissions, I think they are going after.

That's just it, all of those affect emissions. Everything from oil weight to tire choice is at risk.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
So, I just bought a new Lund branded nGauge a few weeks ago. I had bought 2 tunes from them years ago for my SCT3. Are they going to be able to give me my two 91 and 93 octane tunes for this? They were "Mexico" tunes.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So, I just bought a new Lund branded nGauge a few weeks ago. I had bought 2 tunes from them years ago for my SCT3. Are they going to be able to give me my two 91 and 93 octane tunes for this? They were "Mexico" tunes.
Might want to contact them to find out

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think that the NGauge is all done.
I think they are going to be using a device called RTD and you have to use a laptop. At least that's how it sounded in one of the three videos that I watched.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm sure companies like Roush, Whipple, ProCharger, and other will still flourish and do well. I'm pretty sure they are all CARB/EPA friendly already.
It's just that we'll have to drive around with the canned tunes that come with these products.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm sure companies like Roush, Whipple, ProCharger, and other will still flourish and do well. I'm pretty sure they are all CARB/EPA friendly already.
It's just that we'll have to drive around with the canned tunes that come with these products.
long as you line the EPA and government pockets with money they will still continue to produce there products.

Reason like SCT and others that get hit hard is because they are not paying the fee to the EPA/government. Its much like the mob you gotta pay in order to sell on there streets.

Last edited:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I'm curious what kind of impact this will have to people who have purchased aftermarket ECU's and do their own tuning?
I wonder if that will even be an option down the road or will those companies that sell them get shutdown and put out of business too?
They've already shutdown the makers of the NGauge. I don't buy the covid related reasons. That device was a top seller, especially in the newer S550s and other newer vehicles. I can actually say I have never read up on a modified S550 on M6G that was tuned using anything else.
Then of course they castrated SCT a few years ago!
Very disheartening!
Hopefully I was able to get my order into Lethal soon enough for the long tube 1 7/8" x full 3" off road x pipe from ARH.

The EPA has no idea or probably doesn't care how many businesses they will ruin and shutdown and how many people they will put out of work! All to throw a drop in the bucket of a difference to cutting emissions and ruin a hobby and way of life for the American hot rodders in the process!

Ken

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
While the EPA is leading the charge and is the figurehead of this campaign, we cannot forget that the OEM's very much want this as well. Even though they speak out of both sides of their mouths through craftily worded press releases, and supporting groups such as SEMA, deep down they do not want anyone other than themselves messing with their proprietary software. As we venture down the road of more AI/AV, they will only get more protective of it. A gov't push conveniently gives them the cover they need.

Last edited:

andymarkv

Established Member
If you feel moved to do something about this, here's a place to start.
The RPM Act is designed to protect our ability to build off-road vehicles.
If you want use the link to sign the votervoice.net petition in support the RPM Act, that's one option.
Or you can copy/paste the material listed in it to send a personal email to your Senator/Representative.

Save Our Racecars!

We can sit and bitch on a forum...but if we don't even attempt to engage our government for change with the simple act of email/text/phone call, do we really care that much?

Users who are viewing this thread