Joe Gibbs oil

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I agree that RP has proven to be a very good oil. I was just wondering what was the basis for the comment that no one has come close to the performance of Synerlec? Was the comment based on the Falex tester results?

Would you agree that an oil's film strength does matter?
There are other ways than a Falex machine to test film strength as well, as you mentioned. However Synerlec also assists in a better ring seal which results in better compression. Then there is affect on oxidation resistance, it's not just about film strength, it is a multifaceted advantage.

My intent was not to slam other oils either, as there are several worthy competitors that make some excellent oils.

Back to back dyno testing often shows power gains with Royal Purple even against some really excellent other branded synthetic race oils. That certainly does not make those other oils a bad choice.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Since we have the experts here, does anyone know the difference between regular Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance in terms of base stocks, additives, etc?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Since we have the experts here, does anyone know the difference between regular Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance in terms of base stocks, additives, etc?

Mobil 1 - blend of group III and group IV (2005-2010) after 2010 it's probably 100% VISOM group III+ hydrocracked petroleum (guess).

Mobil 1 EP - up to 2010, 100% true synthetic. After 2010, possibly contains a blend of VISOM.

Additives, probably close to the same content. The money savings is the lesser base stock in the cheaper lubricant.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Would you agree that an oil's film strength does matter?

To a degree, I think the proper HTHS viscosity for intended usage and temperature is the most important aspect of a motor oil, I would rate EP performance towards the bottom of my motor oil priority checklist.

However Synerlec also assists in a better ring seal which results in better compression. Then there is affect on oxidation resistance, it's not just about film strength, it is a multifaceted advantage.

I'm not knocking Synerlec with this comment, but Red Line can make the same claims with their POE base oils, as can Amsoil Signature Series and Amsoil Dominator with their ester components, without the high sulphur concentrations.

IMO, Synerlec is but one means to an end and isn't exclusive in these benefits.

Back to back dyno testing often shows power gains with Royal Purple even against some really excellent other branded synthetic race oils. That certainly does not make those other oils a bad choice.

Where is the power coming from though? Superior coefficient of friction/lubricity or a lower HTHS viscosity for a given grade? I tend to lean towards viscometric reasons.

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member

No one outside of XOM will be able to tell you for sure. I don't think you'll see much difference in types of base oils, as most Mobil 1 oils are apparently a blend of Group III/IV/V or III/V. XOM uses Group III+ Visom even in their 0W-40, which is sort of their halo oil, and XOM is apparently big on ANs as opposed to esters.

I'd wager a guess that the difference between M1 and M1 EP is the viscosity of the base oils and/or VII levels, with EP leaning towards slightly heavier base oils with a bit less VIIs (or just less VIIs period) to improve shear resistance. This might explain why M1 EP is a slightly thinner finished oil than M1 with a slightly lower VI yet a very similar HTHS viscosity.

Then M1 EP will have a slightly higher TBN.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread