Joe Gibbs oil

mach1033

Established Member
Anyone here ever use this oil? Also why is there a love/hate relationship with RP oils? Some people laughed at me when I had mentioned that I use it. I just had my motor rebuilt and I dont wont to skimp out on the " best " oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have no experience with Joe Gibbs oil, but have read that it makes a great break in oil (they have a specific formulation for that). I would love to see some UOAs from cars using it, just for a point of reference.

You will have people bad talk any type of lubricant. There are always haters somewhere. If I had to choose a Royal Purple product, it would be HPS.

mach1033

Established Member
I have no experience with Joe Gibbs oil, but have read that it makes a great break in oil (they have a specific formulation for that). I would love to see some UOAs from cars using it, just for a point of reference.

You will have people bad talk any type of lubricant. There are always haters somewhere. If I had to choose a Royal Purple product, it would be HPS.

What oil do you use in your car along with oil filter?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What oil do you use in your car along with oil filter?

Currently, I'm testing Amsoil RD30 10W-30 Dominator racing oil in the GT500. The UOA reports will tell me two things.

• How long the lesser TBN (detergent & dispersent additives) can be used on the street.

• If large doses of ZDDP (a primary anti-wear additive) actually reduce engine wear in new technology engines.

Other lubricants tested in my (and other) GT500's with success:

Using 10W-30 and a 170* thermostat, my car still has 70 PSI of oil pressure at only 2,000 rpm.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Currently, I'm testing Amsoil RD30 10W-30 Dominator racing oil in the GT500. The UOA reports will tell me two things.

• How long the lesser TBN (detergent & dispersent additives) can be used on the street.

• If large doses of ZDDP (a primary anti-wear additive) actually reduce engine wear in new technology engines.

Other lubricants tested in my (and other) GT500's with success:

Using 10W-30 and a 170* thermostat, my car still has 70 PSI of oil pressure at only 2,000 rpm.

Thanks man I appreciate your input :beer:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I know some guys running it.
They run it 3weeks on their race car, we run the dominator Amsoil stuff 4weeks ( oil analysis came back good enough for a 4th week)

I would of tried it when it came out , but their good racing oil is like $180 a case , WAY more $$ than what we are using now.

43a592d2-4598-48b8.jpg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
we run the dominator Amsoil stuff 4weeks ( oil analysis came back good enough for a 4th week)

43a592d2-4598-48b8.jpg

Had it not been for the lead contamination from leaded race fuel, the lubricant you dropped from the car in the picture above would have easily made 8 weeks of racing. The TBN content is still solid and wear metals are acceptable.

fd3249f8.jpg

193ad965.jpg

Currently I'm testing Amsoil RD30 10W-30 Dominator in the GT500 for hard street use. Soon we will all know how many months/miles you can use it for with unleaded fuel. I'm guessing no more than 6 months or 6,000 miles.

I'd like to do a heads up comparison of Royal Purple XPR versus Amsoil Dominator. Preferred customers can buy Dominator for $9.15 per quart ($11.85 direct retail price). XPR sells retail for $17.99-19.99 per quart. The heads up comparison would let me know if the investment difference was worth it. Maybe Jimmy can get me a cost hook up on RP XPR for the next testing fill in my GT500 after the Dominator is ready to dump.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
DO IT!!
Troy, if you do an XPR test run try to line up some same day back to back dyno testing.

Use the very best stuff you have available and of course the same viscosity.

It will be very important to run your XPR test last. The reason for this is that our proprietary Synerlec Synerlec | Lubricant Additives | Royal Purple additive is very persistent and will increase power in any tests run after it for a relatively significant period of time. This of course would not really be a fair test then.

It's not permanent and though it's surface effects are quite tenacious, they eventually do wear off once the oil is removed. It's not a physical coating it's an ionic bond, so no clearances are altered. It does however cause asperities peaks to deform into the valleys on a microscopic level so that obviously will persist after removal.

If anything ever happened to Royal Purple and I could not get it any more I would without any hesitation run Amsoil.

However there simply is no oil company out there that has been able to duplicate the effects of Synerlec(or even come very close). It does not just improve film strength, it also improves ring seal and even helps reduce oxidation.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Jimmy is late to the party, but he's here now. :beer:

I would have performed the test in the order you described. Not only for the reason detailed, but also due to convenience.

Good stuff! Now how do I get XPR more "affordable"? :lol1:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy is late to the party, but he's here now. :beer:

I would have performed the test in the order you described. Not only for the reason detailed, but also due to convenience.

Good stuff! Now how do I get XPR more "affordable"? :lol1:

???---> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRV5YW...nd=7682084301080112303&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

$15.98 and free shipping over 25 bucks. Not too bad!!:rockon::beer:

That's direct from Amazon too and not some questionable third party seller.:thumbsup:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
$15.98 is hurting my heart Jimmy....my heart. Call 911.

Maybe you should be looking at the HPS version of our 10W-40, part #31140.

It offers a significant portion of our legendary XPR performance and protection yet it is priced closer to our SAE/API street oils.

Yet HPS still has significantly higher film strength than most of our competitors full race oils.
RPM31140 - Royal Purple HPS 10W40 = 1 Quart

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
We would break all of our engines in on Rotella.

We also recommend Rotella when a break in oil heavier than a 30 weight is needed.

For normal 30 weight engines we recommend Royal Purple Break In Oil (part #11487, quart bottle). It is a 10W-30 and is our only conventional oil. It is fully formulated to be appropriate for very high lift flat tappet cams.

Habbro

Noob
Established Member
I know this is a Joe Gibbs link but since Jimmy's here I will ask. Which royal purple for new gt500 when they recommend 5w50? Break in recs? Just curious.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I know this is a Joe Gibbs link but since Jimmy's here I will ask. Which royal purple for new gt500 when they recommend 5w50? Break in recs? Just curious.

We do have several recommendations for the GT500s and Boss 302s that are completely functional, safe and a significant upgrade in performance and protection from the Ford/Motorcraft full synthetic 5W-50.
The only drawback is none of them will be warranty compliant.
However a huge percentage of those vehicle populations are going to be out of warranty, either because of time and miles or engine modifications.
For those guys we recommend the following oils, listed in increasing levels of protection with the last one being appropriate for both bone stock cars with catalytic converters, or the most hard core highly modified 1,000+ rear wheel horsepower dedicated competition applications.

Royal Purple SAE 5W-40 (part #01540, quart bottle)(for stock or lightly modified cars)(our Euro spec oil)
Royal Purple HPS 10W-40 (part #31140, quart bottle)(for mostly street use highly modified cars)
Royal Purple XPR 10W-40 (part #01041, quart bottle)(excellent for extremely high boost gas and E85 cars that have higher levels of fuel dilution)(or bone stock street cars)

All 2007 and up GT500s use the RP oil filter #20-820.
All 2012 and up Boss 302s use RP filter #20-500.
For all the Tremec manual 6 speeds we recommend RP Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle).
All of the differentials are the 8.8 and will take RP Max Gear 75W-140 (part #01301, quart bottle) which includes the friction modifier for the Traction Loc limited slip differentials.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim Morrissey
Royal Purple Technical Services

Users who are viewing this thread