Job opportunity, need advice

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So my "dream job" became available. This is huge guys, the last guy was on the job for 38 years. Not kidding, he's 74 and never had kids or was married. He was good at his job but it's time for him to retire. He and I had a good working relationship. I have a solid working relationship with the guys under him. Should this work out, i would be their "boss" but of course i would give them the utmost respect.

I can't say too much but here is the question. I have 3 very excellent references who are connected to the industry. I could likely get two more great references but they are our clients now so if it didn't work out they would know i was looking elsewhere and my current boss would find out. However, their references would be valuable towards the job i want. I want to go "all in" on this job but if it doesn't work out my boss will not be pleased. Hard situation, should I request their references? Are 3 references good enough or should i get a few more?

its the electrical distribution industry if it matters...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
use the three you have. that should be good enough. if they ask for more you can then decide if you want to ask the other two for references or not. Most jobs are happy to get 3 references

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
use the three you have. that should be good enough. if they ask for more you can then decide if you want to ask the other two for references or not. Most jobs are happy to get 3 references

I appreciate your input. At 34 i'm a bit on the young side (10 years experience requested) for the job but i check nearly every other box. PE, construction experience, management experience, etc

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
This is the answer I would choose. I rarely give more than three references unless asked.

Also remember that a man's reputation proceeds him. Your work ethic and integrity will speak volumes.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

_Snake_

Established Member
I’m in a different industry and curious - are references expected/mandatory when applying for this role? Asking because they’re rarely used (if ever) in my line of work.

Best of luck!!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I feel references are fluff pieces. Meaning, they're there to be a threat to your credibility, but in reality very rarely called upon. Often times, if you're in an industry long enough those references know who and what you're trying to do/work for and ultimately don't need a formal reference. They just call up Billy Bob at Corporate Inc and ask him what he thinks of you

coposrv

Established Member
Talk to your boss and tell him the situation, their a human. I would never hold back my guys from trying to further themselves. I wrote a letter of recommendation for a really good apprentice when he was trying to get into the elevator Union. I was bummed to see him go but I was happy for him.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for the advice all, I'll stick with the 3 I have.

And I'll have to think more about telling my boss. Not sure if that's a wise plan as it might backfire if he knows I'm looking elsewhere.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I'd stick with the references you've got. Three is always enough.

Curious as to what company you'll be working for? I run a small company and we resell all types of items and electrical distribution is one of them.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Avoid letting the boss find out. One of the problems that arises in my field is that when a teacher wants to go to another school and the prospective principal calls the teacher's current principal the latter, if not wanting to see the teacher leave, gives a less than stellar recommendation.

coposrv

Established Member
Avoid letting the boss find out. One of the problems that arises in my field is that when a teacher wants to go to another school and the prospective principal calls the teacher's current principal the latter, if not wanting to see the teacher leave, gives a less than stellar recommendation.
That’s disgusting. I’ll add to my list of why I hate people. I couldn’t sleep at night if that’s what it took to keep people.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Think that happens more often than not anymore. You don't owe your current job s***. Don't tell them until you're ready to give two weeks.
But I say go for it! We all only get one go round Make It Count.

Users who are viewing this thread