Job 1

GLHS837

Established Member
Cobra Jet 429 said:
I don't think the SRT-8 is any competition.
Anyone who wants performance won't give a turd about the Charger...
425 hp.... my ass... they dyno 344 stock, but that's 344 rwhp pushing 4200 lbs... so unless that drivetrain is very very inneficient I doubt the 425 hp claim... cuz loosing almost 100 hp in the drivetrain... that's bullocks.
They feel fast, but in reality they slow for what they are supposed to be.
Vettes aren't a big deal for cobras, cuz if dad has a little tyke and his wifey, he can't put em both in the vette...
Cobra's are a niche car, well they have been since 2003, that's when the Mullet Mobile and Firechicken died.

Sorry for the slight hijack, but I cant let this misinformation go uncorrected.
The SRT-8s usually dyno 360 low side, 380 on the high side, with about 370whp being average.

Now, applying a fairly conservative %18 loss ratio, we get about a 76hp drop from that 425 crank rating. That would equal 349whp. Given an average of 370whp, surprise, either that motor is making more, or its loss rate is about the same as a manual, in the %15 percent range.

Add in the fact that a good number, more than 5, I'd say, have hit 12s bone stock, and draw your own conclusion about the power, becuase the calculators say that 425 cant get 4100lbs to those times.

Lastly, some care about performance, but wouldnt mind a real backseat.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Cobra Jet 429 said:
I don't think the SRT-8 is any competition.

I have to disagree...for the simple reason I AM considering it. That makes it competition for me at least. I don't think I'm interested in any of the SRT8 offerings they have right now, but if they were building the new Challenger at this moment, I would have one. I think you'll see a hp increase on the hemi too. However, I am hearing some real horror stories on fuel mileage on those cars and I'm also seeing in writing how difficult they are to mod and make and decent power. But still....you're talking several thousand dollars less money than the Shelby....it makes you think....and that is Ford's mistake. They shouldn't even allow that door to be opened.

GLHS837

Established Member
Horror stories on mileage? From all accounts, the average driver can expect 15-18 city or better, and anywhere from 19-21 highway. The wide variations account for different driving styles, with scattered reports of even better highway mileage.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14807&page=2

This compares directly with the GT report I saw in MTs cross country tour.

As far as making more power, some basic things are available, heads, exhaust, take you to maybe 400 or a bit more rwhp. But not a lot yet.

stang22

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
I have to disagree...for the simple reason I AM considering it. That makes it competition for me at least. I don't think I'm interested in any of the SRT8 offerings they have right now, but if they were building the new Challenger at this moment, I would have one. I think you'll see a hp increase on the hemi too. However, I am hearing some real horror stories on fuel mileage on those cars and I'm also seeing in writing how difficult they are to mod and make and decent power. But still....you're talking several thousand dollars less money than the Shelby....it makes you think....and that is Ford's mistake. They shouldn't even allow that door to be opened.
Yea,I really like the way the new challenger looks,and man if the people don't like the weight of the new shelby,IMO they're not going to like the challenger's either. Personally,I don't care about the weight issue as much as I do the looks of the car,and I have too admit I really don't like the looks of the "so-called charger"(should have named it something different),the 300csrt-8 looks classy cool,...but I really like the looks of the new challenger,for the muscle car group,as far as dcx cars go! If you just want the new challenger for no modding and just to drive it as is then I guess that's ok!My major concern about any of these srt-8's from dcx,is that they really don't have a factory race program of hi-perf.parts for modifying,seems its a limited aftermarket only,as I believe that this will be the death to them in the long run for competing,....in comparison,..... Ford has a very large factory race program of hi-perf. parts to mod away,as well as a huge aftermarket! Seems that dcx limits themselves and is just only comfortable riding on the coatails of Ford with their retro mustang sales,grabbing a piece of the retro muscle car pie,with their challenger.....But,...not really competing all out because of above previous statements i've mentioned! Dcx can't not afford to screw this one up,..as they will need at least the 6.4l 500+hp Hemi motor in the srt-8 at least,because the 6.1 will not be enough,for sure,.....as the shelby will dust it(stock) and kill it straight out with the aftermarket game!! ;-) :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread