jlt ram air intake w/ shaker vs true cold air intake

two-gun kid

Legion 510
Established Member
Just picked up a bone stock 04 mach and was wondering which jlt intake makes more power the ram air with shaker or the true cold air intake. Plan on adding a lil juice later on. If that matters. Thanks.

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
Just picked up a bone stock 04 mach and was wondering which intake makes more power. Plan on adding a lil juice later on. If that matters. Thanks.

cai makes more power.. but alot more risk.. big puddle? bye bye motor..
rai looks better.. keeps shaker functional..
and doesnt look like a giant dildo is going into your fender lol

4v_mach1

Established Member
The way I see it.. the whole purpose of the mach 1 is the shaker.. honestly.. no other car in this world has a cool looking thing on the hood that actually works... the camaro hood is pretty gay (not trying to offend any homos here driving camaros).. but I think the engine will love life when you're on the freeway blowing in cold air during the winter season.. What Monster Mach said...looks better and it definitely doesn't look like a giant whale penis going into the fender.

smitty2919

Established Member
Don't waste the money. People have reported gains by just replacing filter with K&N. Stock airbox is a CAI already...

4valvemach

Established Member
Don't waste the money. People have reported gains by just replacing filter with K&N. Stock airbox is a CAI already...

The stock air intake system sucks!!!!!!!!

OP get the JLT ram air intake well worth the money and on a side note the Shaker does not "ram" any air.The ws6 4th gen trans am has a ram air system for a modern car the mach's system is fair at most.

IMO :shrug:

Last edited:

4v_mach1

Established Member
I would like to see stock intake with a drop in filter vs. JLT rai dyno results. I'm pretty sure the JLT will overpower the stock intake with a drop in filter.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
The shaker works more than you (or I thought) think. After many miles taking apart the RAI the major dirty spot on the air filter is where the shaker connects to the shield. Plus less bends in the intake = better. Best setup IMO is JLT RAI with a 90mm MAF and a good filter.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I know your asking about a mach but on my eaton setup i run a RAI. I switch to a CAI and the IAT were the same. Nothing major in different temps. I went back to a RAI. If you ever look at all the FAST 03 Cobra they all run the RAI. The little filter can only flow so much air. There was a test done that showed that the scoop needed to be lifted some to get it up into the air stream to really work well. I say a RAI, Have you ever changed the filter on a CAI? PITA :bash:

mach1owner

Established Member
The stock air inlet tube is by no means a restriction. at 320 or less whp a K&N will give you the same results

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The stock air intake system sucks

The stock intake tube can flow more air than the engine can demand and replacing the filter with a K&N will provide as much power gain as a JLT CAI or RAI...it's been proven. I've installed both the CAI and RAI and the resulting power gain was zero.

As for the shaker being useful, its not. It looks good but serves no useful purpose.

Last edited:

gazim

Established Member
IMO I have used both the COLD air is better... makes better power, as for the risk factor it is greater...BUT..... I drive mine all year around in the snow and rain I have never had a problem, puddles and all. I dont drive through slush and shit on purpose but you know... It has been perfect. The shaker is functional but it doesnt do shit. I like the look of the cold air, but thats just me. To each their own i guess.

COLD AIR FTW.

WIKD32V

Established Member
Has there been any tests of JLT vs C&L ram air intakes.. My C&L is blazing hott after 1 pass and never cools down unless i ice it. Its really annoying and has to be hurting my times ramming hot air into the intake lol..

Id love to switch it out for a JLT, but then id have to find my stock maf housing..

cobra916

Established Member
The stock intake tube can flow more air than the engine can demand and replacing the filter with a K&N will provide as much power gain as a JLT CAI or RAI...it's been proven. I've installed both the CAI and RAI and the resulting power gain was zero.

As for the shaker being useful, its not. It looks good but serves no useful purpose.[/QUOTE]

ill agree with everything you say but that...fresh outside air, semi rammed from 80mph and up it will help.. not saying it will be a night any day difference but it will do something. i think you gave me a new test idea.

smitty2919

Established Member

As for the shaker being useful, its not. It looks good but serves no useful purpose.

People seem to have a hard time accepting that fact. They like to waste money LOL. Anytime people say they have gains I can almost bet they did not dyno the car, let it cool put the intake on and re-dyno, making the "gains" worth nothing.

It's like when 2V guys want to throw 75+mm throttle bodies and plenums on (stock cars) and put the JLT 4" intake tubes on...bigger cross section results in slower intake velocity. There is only a certain proven diameter you will see gains from, any larger and you hurt performance...which is typically 70mm max.

Of course JLT will say you will gain HP...it's their product. As far as the "ram air" and the shaker....yes you will supply the filter fresh air designated by the dirty spot on the filter, but by no means will you ever go fast enough to see gains from the shaker "ramming" air. It's the same as using some dryer vent tubing and routing it from the bottom of the bumper up and under the filter. Or hell cut a hole in your hood and throw a 90 deg elbow to stick the filter out the hood and drive 80 down the highway...you are doing the same thing with the shaker. All you are doing is supplying the filter.

cobra916

Established Member
yes the shaker does nothing but.. for some reason i was having turbulence issues with my maf?? :shrug: wonder what air was getting to the maf that was causeing this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread