JLT Oil Catch Cans..

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
I know a lot of you will have a first mod of a oil catch can so here are the JLT's I received today (I ordered before I actually got my car and I did not even consider the Bob's version due to my lack of research). Looking at them they look like quality pieces. Whether any catch can will be able to catch all oil is probably not realistic so I am keeping these for my car for now(might even mod them..I own a machine shop on the side so I might actually make my own:idea:).

Anyways this is what they look like close up if anyone is interested(I shrunk these pictures, but they might still come out huge..sorry):

IMG_51581.jpg

IMG_51591.jpg

Last edited:

Planeswalker

Established Member
I have them on my 2011 Roush and they do a good job, already order them for my '13 Shelby; ETA this Saturday on the Shelby!!

440sprint

Established Member
I collect a lot of oil with my pass side JLT, but I have an on-going improvement project by adding a filter media filling the inside of the can.

It's a long term job needing many blow-by miles! Another member & I are using a different media for comparison on another forum under the "JLT's CC/OC IMPROVEMENT?" thread that I started:

JLT's CC/OS IMPROVEMENT? - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum

svt 500

Established Member
I collect a lot of oil with my pass side JLT, but I have an on-going improvement project by adding a filter media filling the inside of the can.

It's a long term job needing many blow-by miles! Another member & I are using a different media for comparison on another forum under the "JLT's CC/OC IMPROVEMENT?" thread that I started:

JLT's CC/OS IMPROVEMENT? - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum

Wonder how long its good for before the filter filling needs to be replaced?

440sprint

Established Member
Wonder how long its good for before the filter filling needs to be replaced?

I have had my 4 circle cut 3M scratch pad test filters completely filling my can just to the top for only 350 mi, showing absolutely no degradation. My test for effectiveness is to wipe the inside of JLT's SC end with a rolled up paper towel looking for oil.

At 1500 mi on car before adding the 3M media & driving 150 mi with new JLT mounted, it produced 1/2 tsp collected oil on it's bottom & oil did drip out the SC end slowly.

I have found only a small film on wiping after driving a max 150 mi with the added can media. That's 4 tests (@ 25, 75, 100 & 150). The top 2 test media circles have shown only small oil saturation spots with drops on can bottom.

No other CC can be removed, completely checked, cleaned, & replaced in 2-5 min & look great, too! I don't sell anything, just an engineer wanting to drive more & protect my Trinity!

MNCobra

Established Member
bobs catch can

I know a lot of you will have a first mod of a oil catch can so here are the JLT's I received today (I ordered before I actually got my car and I did not even consider the Bob's version due to my lack of research). Looking at them they look like quality pieces. Whether any catch can will be able to catch all oil is probably not realistic so I am keeping these for my car for now(might even mod them..I own a machine shop on the side so I might actually make my own:idea:).

Anyways this is what they look like close up if anyone is interested(I shrunk these pictures, but they might still come out huge..sorry):

IMG_51581.jpg

IMG_51591.jpg

do you have a link to Bob's catch can?

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I hope to store my car for the winter tomorrow, but for the past 1000 miles I have ran the JLT in series with the Bob's. The Bob's are placed after the JLT's. I will post the result tommorow hopefully. Leaving Saturday for a couple weeks in Hawaii.

farmboy90

Established Member
I hope to store my car for the winter tomorrow, but for the past 1000 miles I have ran the JLT in series with the Bob's. The Bob's are placed after the JLT's. I will post the result tommorow hopefully. Leaving Saturday for a couple weeks in Hawaii.

VERY interested in your results! Please share when you can. Thanks Iceman!

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member

Next spring, it would be interesting to swap their positions and do the same comparison.

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
Has anyone thought of putting a a clear tube between the catch can and the tvs (sort of like a inline fuel filter without the media)? I am thinking if a substantial amount of oil is making it past the CC (Bobs or JLT) that oil would be visible in this tube clear section. That would be the time one would check the CC for it being filled with oil or if there was a failure in the media within the CC. Better yet..have the entire tube from the CC to the tvs as clear so you can see exactly how much oil is getting through...

Users who are viewing this thread