JLT Cod Air Intake Dragstrip Results.

99BOSS

Established Member
Interesting....on a side note, why does the Mach 1 get the open air filter but the GT500 has an enclosed box? My buddies Redeye is the same, open filter. Maybe Ford didnt want any extra heated air getting into the engine knowing that the intake air was already going to be compressed and generate enough heat.

germansheperd

2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
Established Member
Interesting....on a side note, why does the Mach 1 get the open air filter but the GT500 has an enclosed box? My buddies Redeye is the same, open filter. Maybe Ford didnt want any extra heated air getting into the engine knowing that the intake air was already going to be compressed and generate enough heat.
I would suspect noise and/or heat for IAT’s at an idle?

Crushinator

Established Member
This thread convinced me to pull the stock lid. Even if the VMP video is only half right, a 35 rwhp gain for a cost of zero is worth doing. I almost bought the JLT but glad I found this video.

Crushinator

Established Member
I’m gonna buy Frost King 1/2”X 6’ pipe insulation at Lowe’s to seal the intake box against the hood to help combat the hot air getting into the intake. I found a pic of another guy that used it and it looks good. E20AB270-5633-4780-8518-78BE3A001349.png

Crushinator

Established Member
I’m gonna use this from Lowe’s. It should seal good against the hood to keep the engine heat out.

Attachments

• 9AEB5B68-80D1-4336-A83B-B56B449ED141.jpeg
    9AEB5B68-80D1-4336-A83B-B56B449ED141.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 64

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I feel like an absolute idiot. From VMP and our very own site owner...

I'm late to the game on the 2020+ cars. Interested in seeing if the pipe insulator makes it work.

Last edited:

Crushinator

Established Member
I went and bought everything I needed to seal off the open filter against the hood. As I was shaping and forming everything, it dawned on me. What good is this doing? Of course the car will make more power with the hood open and the filter exposed. It’s instant colder air rushing in. If I put the insulation around the frame of the intake and seal it against the hood, what difference could it possibly make? The answer is zero difference.

So I pulled everything off and put the stock lid back on. This isn’t 1965. We have to start trusting the engineers that design these cars.

The drag video VMP put out, put an end to the discussion about whether it makes a difference on a stock car. The cooler air and wind made all the difference. Not the intake.

Crushinator

Established Member
Where there is power to be had, would be someone designing a small little air conditioner that could fit under the intake and shove ice cold air into the intake. Hahaha

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I'm late to the game on the 2020+ cars. Interested in seeing if the pipe insulator makes it work.

I forgot about that one. :unsure:

Where there is power to be had, would be someone designing a small little air conditioner that could fit under the intake and shove ice cold air into the intake. Hahaha

Search about the Killer Chiller.

techi14

Established Member
I gained 4-5 mph trap with the lid off last time I went to the track.

first 3 passes 11.2 @ 129 with LID on

next 5 passes with lid OFF was trapping between 134-135 with a best et of 10.913 @ 134.75 mph

I also had the rain guard off if that counts for anything.

Breitling

Established Member

next 5 passes with lid OFF was trapping between 134-135 with a best et of 10.913 @ 134.75 mph

I've always wondered if removing the rain tray would help - I assumed it would.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Great, informative video, especially for near stock late model GT-500s.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
All things being equal, that difference in trap speed equates to 45 rwhp on a 4300 lb car with driver. 3 mph might not sound like much, but at these speeds it's more than you think.

Last edited:

Crushinator

Established Member

Well damn…now you have me thinking again. That’s a pretty significant jump in trap speeds. I thought about taking out the rain guard too. Hmmm

techi14

Established Member
Well damn…now you have me thinking again. That’s a pretty significant jump in trap speeds. I thought about taking out the rain guard too. Hmmm
Worth a shot man. Here’s my best pass. Fully stock other than the lid and guard being off.

Attachments

• 565718BA-AD2A-4736-9429-751FAEC2D154.jpeg
    565718BA-AD2A-4736-9429-751FAEC2D154.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 72

Crushinator

Established Member
Worth a shot man. Here’s my best pass. Fully stock other than the lid and guard being off.
Absolutely worth a shot! That’s impressive!

Question, could you explain your launch technique please? Do you set the rpm on launch control and mash the gas or do you just get the rpm just above the launch rpm and go? Or do you turn everything off and do it all yourself?

techi14

Established Member
Absolutely worth a shot! That’s impressive!

Question, could you explain your launch technique please? Do you set the rpm on launch control and mash the gas or do you just get the rpm just above the launch rpm and go? Or do you turn everything off and do it all yourself?
Drag mode. Big burnout. Tire pressure drop to 20 psi. 1700 rpm launch.

techi14

Established Member
Do you floor the gas or just rev it good?
when doin burnout I hold the rpms at probably like 5 or 6k just enough to spin them and get them nice and hot.

then when launching obviously pedal to the metal, launch mode engaged, soon as you see second to last light hit start letting off the brake and hang on lol. Super consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread