Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
The 84 month auto financing thread got me thinking about upgrading my DD to a mid-size SUV. Ford Edge, Exploder, Jeep Grand Cherokee all come to mind. I like the exterior styling of all 3, like the interior of the JGC a little more than the Fords, but they aren't bad. Fuel economy seems reasonable across the board.

Before I started to research and look at the used markets, I didn't realize a diesel was offered in the Grand Cherokee. This really peeked my interest because the of fuel economy, engine longevity, and power associated with a diesel. And packaged into a JGC? What's not to like?! Some owners have claimed 750 miles to a tank, which is crazy for an SUV.

Anyone have personal experience with these?

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Don’t know a lot about the diesel
But the gas versions aren’t getting high dependability reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Zodiac

Established Member
We have a 2017 JGC with the V6 and we love it. My wife loves her Jeeps. We've had quite a few since 2008 and none have had any issues. We really wanted the diesel, but could not justify the price difference.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I bought my wife a 2015 JGC Ecodiesel about two years and roughly 20k ago. She absolutely loves it. The interior is very nice with all the creature comforts you could want. The uconnect system is very easy to use. Fair amount of knobs and buttons so not everything is through the touchscreen, which I like.

The diesel is pretty solid on gas mileage with fantastic toque. I think she averages about 24mpg with mixed driving. Averaged an easy 30-31 mpg at 80mph on a recent trip to Houston. Turbo lag at low speed driving take a bit of getting used to.

Only real complaint at this point is the regen system will prompt at the most annoying times like when you just need to run a quick errand. That mainly happens because her commmute isn’t long enough so it doesn’t get the auto-regen time.

Pricewise the diesel is considerably more expensive when shopping new but I found most used models leveling off to around the same price point as the V8 and V6 versions. We got her limited with towing and tech package for around 28k with only 22k miles on it.

Tl;dr:
Great vehicle with gobs of torque and great gas mileage for a mid-size suv.
Regen system can be a bit of a pain if it doesn’t get regular highway time.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Have they managed to stop them from self destructing yet?

Absolutely not. Eco diesel engine failures - Page 115

I worked a deal to purchase a 2014 JGC eco diesel last Friday. I was unaware of the shear number of engine failures. I had to back out of the deal. It was the perfect combo but I just can’t risk the possibility of an $9000 engine failure out of warranty. The dealer had the thing since early summer and was giving everything I asked for and more. They were desperate to get rid of it and I knew something was up. Glad I did my research. Now looking at diesel Q5’s and Touareg’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
The 84 month auto financing thread got me thinking about upgrading my DD to a mid-size SUV. Ford Edge, Exploder, Jeep Grand Cherokee all come to mind. I like the exterior styling of all 3, like the interior of the JGC a little more than the Fords, but they aren't bad. Fuel economy seems reasonable across the board.

Before I started to research and look at the used markets, I didn't realize a diesel was offered in the Grand Cherokee. This really peeked my interest because the of fuel economy, engine longevity, and power associated with a diesel. And packaged into a JGC? What's not to like?! Some owners have claimed 750 miles to a tank, which is crazy for an SUV.

Anyone have personal experience with these?
No, but I’m waiting for the Diesel for the Wrangler...

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Probably the reason why Ram didn't have 3.0 ED in their lineup.

Was interesting reading up on the failures.

Users who are viewing this thread