JBA Shorties

Imatk

Established Member
Since the FRPP shorties have long been gone I was wondering if anyone has installed the JBA shorties... and if so do you like them?

sweetlou1182

Established Member
I was originally thinking shorties for emissions purposes but all the research I did said don't bother/waste of time. So i did the next best thing and picked up a set of Kooks 1 7/8

Imatk

Established Member
Can't do long tubes because of emissions, so shorties are my only option.

They're available for sale right now so they do exist... but I don't want to get them if they are going to cause issues.

sweetlou1182

Established Member
I live in RI which has pretty strict emissions which is why I went with the Kooks headers due to their green cat offering. The shop that tuned my car said they have seen plenty of shelbys pass emissions with the o2s turned on while running the green cats. in RI the o2 monitor needs to be ready, no CELs and they do a visual inspection for cats. You could go this route as California is the only state the green cats arent approved in

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Lol theres another thread here about california, cams and Smog.... its a little heated.

Id go with Shorties if it was a weight reduction thing. If not, long tunes but be ready to have em removed when its time for smog

Imatk

Established Member
Yeah I don't really want to have to swap them or worry with them. Hell one year at inspection the guy accused me of putting in after market headers on my '91 GT.

I told him they were factory and he didn't believe me and looked it up.... California... the exhaust Nazis!

sweetlou1182

Established Member
Ya F that, swapping longtubes out once a year is a nightmare. Will shorties even fly in cali? I've seen many stories over the years about how tough they are out there.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I believe that the JBA shorties got CARB certified. So, basically no performance increase, just weight reduction.

Imatk

Established Member
Ya F that, swapping longtubes out once a year is a nightmare. Will shorties even fly in cali? I've seen many stories over the years about how tough they are out there.

Yeah you're allowed if they have a CARB number, but anything that relocates the cats are illegal.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yeah you're allowed if they have a CARB number, but anything that relocates the cats are illegal.

^^^Yes, from what I have heard/read, the JBA shorty's are CARB. <<That is the strange thing about the FRPP shorty's, they bolt in place of the oem log manifolds, the oem emission bolt up, the oem catted H stays in place, the oem O2 sensors stay in position and then no CARB??

R

Papaw

Established Member
Yeah, if a manufacturer doesn't submit it's part to CARB for their certification process (gobs of $ in fees, total money grab!) it can not be CARB certified, even if it made the car cleaner than stock.
I swear, the EPA must think they're god. Look what they are doing to Volkswagen.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have no regrets about installing my FRPP shorty's, they look Great and work very well with my Shelby/JBA full 3" mandrel bent exhaust system. The problem is, many owners who installed these shorty's kept their crimped down 2007-2010 2.5" system, or only changed the catback. The full 3" behind the shorty's is a completely different performance flow in comparison to a 2.5" system.

R

Users who are viewing this thread