JBA H-pipe install or cut, chop, weld!

Mwynn

Established Member
Hey guys, just got my upgrades finally done on my stock 13... ordered a 65 twin throttle body, jlt big air kit, lund tune, and JBA off road H-pipe from lethal a few weeks ago.

Everything installed smoothly, except for the piece of sh.t H-pipe which was manufactured by JBA.

I was concerned about the 3 piece design from the start, and all of those concerns materialized into a mess of crap.

The factory mid pipe with the cats unbolted very nicely, it was a quality piece by SVT. Ok, in goes the JBA, the drivers side down pipe which mounts to the exhaust manifold would not seal correctly, and the bend in pipe was off more than 6 degrees, which was making it rub into the undercarriage. I fought this thing for 5 hours with no luck, leaked everywhere, rubbed everywhere, and It sounds like I should have been enjoying this.

This morning took it to my exhaust guy, he confirmed my problem, the bend was way off, the flange was not correct, letting it bottom out before a seal could be made. FITMENT ISSUES IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.

The Fix, had to cut the drivers side down pipe close to the bend, add a coupling, weld all that up and hope for the best, to our amazement everything seemed to work, except for a few leaks due to the low rent clamps that come with the kit. I fix that later.

BOLT ON exhaust kit? too funny!

Oh, the car does sound amazing now!

5.0 guy

Established Member
Just had a pretty big thread about JBA, I'm sure Van will jump in this at some point since if I remember correctly he just dropped their product from his sales line for your exact problems. Sorry to hear about your troubles but hope you are enjoying your car now!

Mwynn

Established Member
Yes, I thought van did have some problems with the JBA stuff, well I can confirm the quality sucks!

Mwynn

Established Member
I did call JBA while the car was on the rack, they did offer to send another down pipe if I provide a receipt from lethal and endless emails. (which is most likely bent on the same wrong jig). but shipping would be on me! WTF!

Van@RevanRacing

Yep. Another one. The last 7 or 8 pipes I sold all had problems. JBA's service is sub-par at best. I have dropped the entire product line.

I mean come on! If you can't make an off road pipe you shouldn't be making exhaust systems. Their quality control is non-existent. Lethal will take care of you though. You should get with them and pick up one of their aluminized steel off road pipes. Good fitment.

rancid

Established Member
I did call JBA while the car was on the rack, they did offer to send another down pipe if I provide a receipt from lethal and endless emails. (which is most likely bent on the same wrong jig). but shipping would be on me! WTF!

Van dropped them and their products for this very reason.

:burn:

Mwynn

Established Member
I did call lethal first, john was out today, some other dude said he had to refer me to JBA cuz it was not their problem, everyone knows this story.... Alex at JBA, was playing the role of "yes my product sucks but you pay shipping and I will send you another pipe" but damn, my 70k car is sitting on the rack leaking exhaust and shaking the floorboard!! Oh im pissed off!!

Mwynn

Established Member
Update: Kinda thought we had the leaks fixed and clearance issues resolved yesterday, but I was wrong. Today I drove the car for 20 miles or so and all the exhaust leaks resurfaced around both down pipe flanges, with a nice rattle due to the pipe and clamps rubbing the under side of the car.

I emailed john at lethal today with the list of my problems with this pipe, I asked if they could send me another H-pipe or X-pipe by another company and I would gladly box up the JBA crap and send it back. Hopefully, he can help me! We shall see.....

Bytor

Established Member
Hey all! New here.

Everyone's comments seem to mirror exactly my experience I currently am having with my (now former) JBA pipe for my Shelby. I have an RMA and just shipped it back today.

Bytor

Established Member
I used the same box to ship it back so I don't have that anymore however the JBA pipe was shipped from Lethal to me on 3/11 (I ordered the parts before I had the car).

quick-nick

Established Member
Thanks ....I still have mine in the box so when I put it on (hopefully) I will post up my results. It would be nice to get an idea of when these things started going south on build quality so others may be aware......

Last edited:

Mwynn

Established Member
I looked on the box for a date, I found the label, but there is a big lethal sticker over it, right beside made in Mexico.

quick-nick

Established Member
On my box all the way toward the upper right hand corner,on the same side as the label there is a date stamped 10/09/12. It looks like an old school library card date stamp....man now I feel old!!!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks ....I still have mine in the box so when I put it on (hopefully) I will post up my results. It would be nice to get an idea of when these things started going south on build quality so others may be aware......

I bought my 3" JBA back when Shelby was handling the JBA line before JBA was bought by Pertronix. I didn't have an install issue. A friend of mine bought the same full mandrel bent 3" system as I did, he sold his Super Snake before he got a chance to install the system so I bought his set at half the cost, just to have a spare 3" for my car. Both systems were bought in mid-2008.

I really like the tips............

Picturedownload5-2-09035.jpg

R

Mwynn

Established Member
Update #2 : Spoke with John at lethal yesterday and he contacted JBA and got me a return shipping label. Great guy! So thankful I can ship this thing back now! But, Im stuck with no mid pipe now, got to have one by Saturday. Lethal does not have any off road X or H pipes in stock except for the JBA, which I nicely declined. What to do? When a problem like this arises you call VAN!!!

After explaining my problem and exchanging a few choice words about JBA products with Van at Revan Racing, says he also does not have a H or X pipe in stock. Oh hell!! Im screwed. After a brief pause in our conversation, he says he is goin to check on something and will call me back. OK?

Get this... Van calls MRT which is one of his vendors that makes off-road pipes in the USA as they are currently making a new batch of pipes this week....Has one shipped 2 day air to me!!! Should have it here by Friday!

This level of customer service is unheard of!! Amazing!!

Revan Racing!!!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I was going to say call Van, the guy flat out bends over backwards for people here. I although I don't buy all my stuff through Van, I do some business with him and having him as my go to guy when times get tough, is very reassuring.

mullens

Established Member
Update #2 : Spoke with John at lethal yesterday and he contacted JBA and got me a return shipping label. Great guy! So thankful I can ship this thing back now! But, Im stuck with no mid pipe now, got to have one by Saturday. Lethal does not have any off road X or H pipes in stock except for the JBA, which I nicely declined. What to do? When a problem like this arises you call VAN!!!

After explaining my problem and exchanging a few choice words about JBA products with Van at Revan Racing, says he also does not have a H or X pipe in stock. Oh hell!! Im screwed. After a brief pause in our conversation, he says he is goin to check on something and will call me back. OK?

Get this... Van calls MRT which is one of his vendors that makes off-road pipes in the USA as they are currently making a new batch of pipes this week....Has one shipped 2 day air to me!!! Should have it here by Friday!

This level of customer service is unheard of!! Amazing!!

Revan Racing!!!

Those guys rock. Who else answers their phone at 9pm? That's why they have such a huge following here.

Mwynn

Established Member
Yes, I have ordered stuff before from van, thought I would give lethal some biz too.... think I will stay with revan racing from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread