• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Japanese automaker aims to avoid higher auto tariffs

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by VRYALT3R3D, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Corbic

Corbic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Most of the hardware workers in China’s tech industry have college educations.

They make $5-7 an hour inspecting and testing and assembling in clean rooms.

Even with a 100% tariff, manufacturers like Apple would easily be able to absorb it.

Lastly, considering how important something like a smart phone is, we’d all gladly pay $3,000 for one. We’d just hang on to it longer. We’ve also just been condition with cheap phones, amortized plans and incentives to expect cheap phones.

2. 598

598 Well-Known Member Established Member

I have 5 smart phones in my house. One is a tool for work, the others, toys really. At 3K, I would have one. Just like we have multiples of TVs, because the price is cheap. Jack up the price and kill demand, or more likely, create cheaper replacements. Soybean prices dropped low enough that even with the tariffs, they made sense to import into china, but the Chinese are still not taking beans from the US. This isn't about tariffs, and the sooner you wrap your heads around that, the sooner we can get on with what is really an economic and logistics war, as well as topography if you want to get into recent military driven developments in places like Thailand and Sri Lanka. China has been fighting us for over a decade, and as a country, we are just now realizing it. Or at least half the country is catching on.

3. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

So, it has to be an equal tariff for it to be a trade war? OK.

I'm well aware everyone else had crazy tariffs, which is why it drives me nuts when people act like we're supposed to just sit there and take it.

earico and lexustech48 like this.
  4. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

I know Im in the absolute minority here, but I need nothing more than text keyboard equipped phone.

Its convenient as hell to have access to the internet on the go, but its not ESSENTIAL. I survived just fine back in the old days when we didn't even have basic cell phones, let alone smart phones. No doubt, the last 11 years since the original iphone launch has seen a dramatic change in how we communicate and access the internet.

Im contemplating a basic text phone that's mp3 capable the next time I need a new one. Assuming of course, those types of phones are even produced.

... **** it, Ill just get a damn jitterbug phone and be done with it.

HillbillyHotRod and blk02edge like this.
  5. Kevinbonds

Kevinbonds Active Member Established Member

Nobody learns, China is responsible for the downfall of the western world. Their theft of intellectual property, and currency manipulation has destroyed our middle class, our manufacturing base and innovation. Anything created of any value in the USA, is quickly copied in china, re branded and then sold in the USA to compete with the original product. It's killing innovation, driving down prices artificially. It's one of the biggest threats to this country, and Trump is one of the few people who know this. China has literally stolen a generations worth of wealth from the US, and the liberal democrats in Washington have no freaking clue.

me32, JPKII, bigja01cobra and 3 others like this.
  6. Dave M

Dave M Member Established Member

Actually the RDX is the #2 best selling luxury SUV, and the MDX is #4 and the Lexus RX is #1 so I'd say they are doing pretty well considering the profit margin on these things.

7. Corbic

Corbic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

No, the point is most of these tariffs have been in place for DECADES.

This is why Trump is going “wtf America! You let these guys hose you so you can buy cheap shit at Walmart!!”

During the Cold War the US was always willing to let our selves be at a disadvantage if it met securing an ally against the Soviets.

The world has dramatically changed since 1991 and it’s time to start playing differently.

me32, RDJ, bigja01cobra and 1 other person like this.
  8. RDJ

RDJ ZERO shits given Established Member

China is not responsible for the downfall of the western world. that blanket statement is stupid on it's face. they have certainly contributed to it. but the U.S. has enabled that contribution. in hindsight one of the very worst things Nixon did was make that damn trip to china and start easing export restrictions on them. that us OUR doing not china's.

U.S. corporations are so lax in their security practices they make it easy for this countries secrets both economic, military, and trade secrets to be stolen. U.S. citizens turn their backs on security and run their mouths about shit that has no business being talked out. A fair number of them work WITH the chinese to steal trade secrets, military secrets, and financial secrets. they pass them info because they are sympathetic to their cause, or greedy for the money the chinese pay them. others around them turn a blind eye because they don't want to be involved. that is OUR doing not the chinese.

The chinese have little to do with western morals, how we raise our kids, what we allow in our society. The lack of morals, the lack of parenting, law enforcement that allow people to riot over bullshit and loot without consequences that shit is OUR doing not the chinese.

I am no fan of china, and have made that very clear in past posts on this subject. but they definitely are NOT responsible for the downfall of the western world. The western world is responsible for their own downfall.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    me32 and bigja01cobra like this.
  9. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

Your avatar is responsible for at least 5-10 minutes of idle productivity for me at work. LET THAT SINK IN.

me32 and RDJ like this.
  10. earico

earico It's 4:20 somewhere... Premium Member Established Member

Fair amount of truth in there.