jack stand placement

sonic77

Established Member
What does everyone think is the best place to put jack stands on an 03?

When I had my 01 GT I jacked up the rear from the differential (even though the manual states not to) and placed the stands on each side of the the rear axel. For the front I jacked up from the k-member and placed each stand behind the front wheels directly on the frame rails. But with the cobra IRS I'm trying to figure out what's the best spot for the rears. Any ideas?

-brad-

--
03 Cobra
(stock)
--

Cobra'03

Established Member
Prime SEARCH candidate - this has been asked and answered a zillion times. This is a freebie.

I do not know what "everyone" thinks, but I think you should use the flat points on the rear subframe. Follow the arrows from the rear jacking point shown in the Owner's Manual.

You asked about jack stands, then about the jack point - which one are you confused about?

sonic77

Established Member
My question is about jack stands since most of these things have slightly shallow U-shaped tops and aren't exactly flat. On my GT they fit just right on the rear axel, but I haven't had my 03 that long and wondered if there is a "best spot" to place the stands vs the jack itself, especially under the rear end of the car, without damaging anything.

I've searched this topic quite a bit and did find a lot of posts about where to place the jack, but haven't been able to find much about where to place the jack stands if I want to raise the entire car off the ground.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Ok, got ya, fair enough.

Here is what I do:

1) Jack the car as I indicated, using a small one to get my biggie under the car. Do this at the frame rail, about 11-2 feet in from the sides. This metal can dent, so use a hunk of wood or thick rubber between the jack pad and the frame rail.

2) Jack the front from the k-member - use a 2x4 to protect the metal

3) Place the jack stands under the frame rails, or under the control arm mounts

4) The rear is a pain - you have to jack each side separately - again, use the small jack to raise the car enough to put the big jack underneath. I put each jack stand under the flat spot near the rear subframe, with a hunk of 2x4 to protect the metal.

Others put the jackstands under the rear control arm mounts.

3rdstang

Established Member
Well I have backed the car up on ramps to get the rear end up in the air. I cannot use the ramps in the front as the air dam is too low and looks like it will scrape pretty bad. Just my 2 cents and easier than jacking.

Users who are viewing this thread