J2Fab wire upgrade question

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
Just opened the box and am starting on an alt upgrade with big 3 wire kit from J2Fab. Main question is regarding their wire setup. All cables came cut to length with eyelet connectors attached.

- The two cables that run through an inline fuse should go from +batt terminal to alt power connection.

- it looks like the power cable (with +batt terminal attached) goes to the car fuse box

- Main question is the black ground cable. It looks like it's cut to length for (i'm guessing) the engine block to frame? Obviously, it doesn't look like it would make it from the negative terminal to motor mount.

I was going to buy some #2 welding wire to make a new connection from -batt to motor mount.

Does this all sound correct?

43397312584_4e91ff0324_z.jpg

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
According to the Big 3 instructions, I ran my alternator wire to the battery first. I'm sure both work, but I can understand the concept to first charge the battery and have a more constant supply than the alternator. I would also rather have an over-charge issue take out the battery than the power supply block

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
Yeah I guess it really shouldn't matter either way. The power cable to the alt has an inline fuse which should protect everything. I just thought the pre-cut ground was interesting. I wasn't initially sure what ground location it was cut for. Based on the video above, it looks like he designed it to go from the alt to the -batt. I'll be adding my own grounds to the frame.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Joe
How many extra grounds did you add and where did you put them if you dont mind me asking?
Thanks
Ken

Soap

Established Member
I replaced all the factory ones then added one between battery and frame and grounded it to the same point as the engine to frame ground.....near driver side rail.

I did not add one (to make 4th ground) between alternator case and frame, but was prepared to if I was not getting good voltage.

This setup has worked good for me.

--Joe

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I replaced all the factory ones then added one between battery and frame and grounded it to the same point as the engine to frame ground.....near driver side rail.

I did not add one (to make 4th ground) between alternator case and frame, but was prepared to if I was not getting good voltage.

This setup has worked good for me.

--Joe

OP this is what you need to do. Do not second guess this.

Users who are viewing this thread