J2Fab Intercooler hell

Stangra

Established Member
First off, I’d like to think that I’m a reasonable, somewhat patient and understanding customer. I know a lot of vendors have been contending with multiple challenges during the past 1-1/2 years and delays have sometimes been part of the scenery. I’m also not one to openly badmouth people because of my personal opinion or an isolated bad experience, but since it appears to a be pattern that includes myself and others too, and potentially future unwitting customers, I’ve decided to put my story out there.

I’m talking about J2Fabrication and Justin Wheeler, and this is has been my experience with him:

Back on January 8th I ordered an 11-17 Coyote TVS Intercooler with flow Mod and prepaid my $1500.00, well aware that these are custom built to order and have a significant lead time. The website said 8-12 weeks (and it still does) so during my wait for presumably 3 months, I started sourcing the related parts need for this as well as a couple other mods going on at the same time. January was a perfect time to order all this because by April/May I should have my car set to go for the track season.

The intercooler wasn’t the only part I ordered that was delayed for something, but when I reached out to other vendors for updates I always got a timely response. Not always good news, but a response. So, at around 10 weeks (3/17) I emailed Justin asking for an update on my order… No reply. 6 days and several more prods later I received an update: He was short of cores and had some QC issues, but some apparently good news too!... “I'm getting ready to finish a few more units towards the end of next week/beginning of next and yours will be one of those” .This was on 3/23. I reached out again on 4/22 after another month gone by… more difficulty eliciting replies. Eventually Justin told me that he’s doing his best to fill orders and that supply across the industry is a mess. He offered to flow mod my existing core, and/or asked for patience while he tries to get my new one out. I believed he was at least trying so I chose patience. More asking on 5/11, 13 & 14. On 5/14 I was told I have a unit done for you - waiting for anodizing to come back for flow mod. Next week I hope.” 5/30, I asked why I am still waiting? He said “I don't have ano back yet. Everybody is short handed. Ano told me on Friday they'd have all of my parts done Wednesday. I'll update you then ... June 16 and still no update! I inquire again… I got ano back and I'm working on shipping. I ask near end of June and mid-July… no response…

Meanwhile back in March, when I trusted what I was first told, that my unit was shipping within a week or 2, I dismantled my car in anticipation of the work needed for this mod. I’ve received ALL the other parts I ordered for this and other mods, some with their own significant delays but delivered eventually. I’m in car limbo hell, without the use of my car, I need the garage space for other work, and I’m watching track events come and go. So, I fired off a much less patient email asking WTF is going on, and I actually got a phone call from Justin. After much explaining and apologizing I felt somewhat reassured, and as we spoke he supposedly looked through his stuff and found 6 of the units I need, just needed pressure testing. More apologies and hisabsolute promise that he’ll get one of these units to me In August. For a moment all my anger was eclipsed buy the certainty that FINALLY I’m getting my part and will have my car running soon. Strange… I was actually kinda happy even after all this BS!

Well August is over, still no intercooler so, more email and phone attempts. I got another call on September 1 and was told the pressure testing was done, just need to work on shipping, needed a week, and “yours will be one of the first ones out”

Now 8 months gone by, no part, no shipping info, and no explanation or contact of any kind. Today I filed a complaint with BBB and in record-breaking time he acted (under 2 hours) by cancelling my order and refunding. Does he think that makes all this OK?

And I know I’m not alone, comparing notes with others reveals some unsettlingly similar stories.

Beware

Anyone try to order an intercooler from him recently? In conversation with him he’s said the website is not taking new orders right now, but I’ve been on there and without actually making a payment it looks like orders ARE being taken. Still says 8-12 weeks too.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Wow. Sounds like someone else with a small business who puts his own supercharger kits together using oem GT500 head units.

Sorry to hear about it, but at least it's resolved and you can move forward.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
First off, I’d like to think that I’m a reasonable, somewhat patient and understanding customer. I know a lot of vendors have been contending with multiple challenges during the past 1-1/2 years and delays have sometimes been part of the scenery. I’m also not one to openly badmouth people because of my personal opinion or an isolated bad experience, but since it appears to a be pattern that includes myself and others too, and potentially future unwitting customers, I’ve decided to put my story out there.

I’m talking about J2Fabrication and Justin Wheeler, and this is has been my experience with him:

Back on January 8th I ordered an 11-17 Coyote TVS Intercooler with flow Mod and prepaid my $1500.00, well aware that these are custom built to order and have a significant lead time. The website said 8-12 weeks (and it still does) so during my wait for presumably 3 months, I started sourcing the related parts need for this as well as a couple other mods going on at the same time. January was a perfect time to order all this because by April/May I should have my car set to go for the track season.

The intercooler wasn’t the only part I ordered that was delayed for something, but when I reached out to other vendors for updates I always got a timely response. Not always good news, but a response. So, at around 10 weeks (3/17) I emailed Justin asking for an update on my order… No reply. 6 days and several more prods later I received an update: He was short of cores and had some QC issues, but some apparently good news too!... “I'm getting ready to finish a few more units towards the end of next week/beginning of next and yours will be one of those” .This was on 3/23. I reached out again on 4/22 after another month gone by… more difficulty eliciting replies. Eventually Justin told me that he’s doing his best to fill orders and that supply across the industry is a mess. He offered to flow mod my existing core, and/or asked for patience while he tries to get my new one out. I believed he was at least trying so I chose patience. More asking on 5/11, 13 & 14. On 5/14 I was told I have a unit done for you - waiting for anodizing to come back for flow mod. Next week I hope.” 5/30, I asked why I am still waiting? He said “I don't have ano back yet. Everybody is short handed. Ano told me on Friday they'd have all of my parts done Wednesday. I'll update you then ... June 16 and still no update! I inquire again… I got ano back and I'm working on shipping. I ask near end of June and mid-July… no response…

Meanwhile back in March, when I trusted what I was first told, that my unit was shipping within a week or 2, I dismantled my car in anticipation of the work needed for this mod. I’ve received ALL the other parts I ordered for this and other mods, some with their own significant delays but delivered eventually. I’m in car limbo hell, without the use of my car, I need the garage space for other work, and I’m watching track events come and go. So, I fired off a much less patient email asking WTF is going on, and I actually got a phone call from Justin. After much explaining and apologizing I felt somewhat reassured, and as we spoke he supposedly looked through his stuff and found 6 of the units I need, just needed pressure testing. More apologies and hisabsolute promise that he’ll get one of these units to me In August. For a moment all my anger was eclipsed buy the certainty that FINALLY I’m getting my part and will have my car running soon. Strange… I was actually kinda happy even after all this BS!

Well August is over, still no intercooler so, more email and phone attempts. I got another call on September 1 and was told the pressure testing was done, just need to work on shipping, needed a week, and “yours will be one of the first ones out”

Now 8 months gone by, no part, no shipping info, and no explanation or contact of any kind. Today I filed a complaint with BBB and in record-breaking time he acted (under 2 hours) by cancelling my order and refunding. Does he think that makes all this OK?

And I know I’m not alone, comparing notes with others reveals some unsettlingly similar stories.

Beware

Anyone try to order an intercooler from him recently? In conversation with him he’s said the website is not taking new orders right now, but I’ve been on there and without actually making a payment it looks like orders ARE being taken. Still says 8-12 weeks too.

His alternators were decent had one problem and the flow mods were good. Heard nothing but nightmares with the ICs though (03-04 at least). Supply issues and the feed/return ports weren't separated right giving poor performance. Might have bit off more than he could chew.

I give anyone helping out the 03-04 community tons of slack especially small biz but that's kind of over the line. You're coyote though so shouldn't be too hard to source parts.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t remember the time lone as it’s all a blur but there was a huge ****ing fiasco with the company building the cores.

That said I had plenty of excuses getting my alternator out too. Bro, just say you’re overwhelmed and youll

just because someone can fab doesn’t mean they can run a business but most learn that the very hard way

Stangra

Established Member
Wow. Sounds like someone else with a small business who puts his own supercharger kits together using oem GT500 head units.

Sorry to hear about it, but at least it's resolved and you can move forward.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Moving forward will mean starting another long waiting game.
I've ordered stuff from that "someone else" too. Took quite a while, he's up-front about it, and I got it. In much less time. I ALWAYS got timely answers to questions, helpful information, and... He didn't make promises he couldn't/wouldn't keep!

mlackke

Established Member
Bit OT, but:

Unfortunately i have lot of similar experiences (random vendors) where you pay big bucks in front, then agreed delivery date gets first postponed days, then weeks, months..even freaking years. Only during this time you get excuses after another and unanswered phone calls.

Hell, even you cancel the order, you must argue if they pay money back (regardless if anything was done) or refund process takes same path,..days turn weeks..etc

Nowdays if have any doubt of the order, i usually only agree to pay max 30% ahead and rest when i have confirmation (pics for proof) that product is ready to be shipped.

For OP, i hope you get your IC or money back.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Unfortunately, I've been on the end of these waiting games as well multiple times with j2fab.

He always came through in the end but I do understand the frustration. There is always an excuse for the delay.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I do know that J2 Fab recently moved their shop but that's no excuse.

They currently have my Procharger bracket and crank pulley for a custom crank support. It's been 5-6 months but I'm also in no hurry. This has me a little worried that it could be another 6 months before I see it.

Stangra

Established Member
They currently have my Procharger bracket and crank pulley for a custom crank support. It's been 5-6 months but I'm also in no hurry. This has me a little worried that it could be another 6 months before I see it.
If he tells you that it's going to be another 6 months that would suck, but a least you'd have realistic expectations and be able to make informed decisions.

He's been telling me since March that he expected to finish my order in a couple of weeks. In May, "next week". In June, "I'm working on shipping"... Etc... Etc... Etc....

If he told me a long time ago that it could take this long I would have got my car back to running for the meantime, but with each almost estimate I kept waiting in limbo.
Or, I could have bailed and found another alternative. Or both.

Maybe that's why he kept me on the short-time leash? Who knows!

Stangra

Established Member
After enduring 8 months of delays, excuses, lies, and ultimately having my order unceremoniously refunded, I placed another order with VMP.

* $240 less
* Ordered 9/17
* Received Fed-Ex tracking number today
* Expected delivery 10/1

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It's always something. Built a car with a friend of mine and it took a hot minute for him to get his. And then it was one of the flawed core ones, so then it had to get swapped out

His stuff is nice but I can feel myself aging waiting on it. Want to run a certain race week/class/series this year? Don't plan on it if you're waiting on parts from them. Good guy, and he won't hesitate to give you your money back. But I hear this a lot

Stangra

Established Member
It's always something. Built a car with a friend of mine and it took a hot minute for him to get his. And then it was one of the flawed core ones, so then it had to get swapped out

His stuff is nice but I can feel myself aging waiting on it. Want to run a certain race week/class/series this year? Don't plan on it if you're waiting on parts from them. Good guy, and he won't hesitate to give you your money back. But I hear this a lot
I'm sure his stuff is nice, I was willing to wait quite a while to get what I believed was a great product. Seemed like a nice enough guy too early on. I understand & sympathize with a lot of the circumstances he's had to deal with, realize many things are beyond his control.

But...

None of that justifies promising something he knows damn well he can't deliver. The website still says 8-12 weeks, why? Customers are waiting most of a year! And when it becomes beyond obvious that's not gonna happen... telling customers every different reason, for months while consistently renewing an expectation that fulfillment is just "a couple more weeks" away? Or just as often, not responding at all. It's callous, self-serving disregard for customers. I no longer trust a word he's got to say.

Last edited:

Stangra

Established Member
... Now 8 months gone by, no part, no shipping info, and no explanation or contact of any kind. Today I filed a complaint with BBB and in record-breaking time he acted (under 2 hours) by cancelling my order and refunding. Does he think that makes all this OK? ...
More character reveal by Justin / J2Fab.
I got a response from BBB, in part it said:

"Better Business Bureau® has made several attempts to contact the business regarding the above referenced complaint. We regret to inform you that despite our best efforts, we have not received a response from the company."

There are other complaints against him too that have gone unresponded.

Last edited:

Albatross

Established Member
Good lord!!! How in the holy hell is this guy still in business. Why are so many people supporting him?? I had a nearly identical experience as @Stangra. It was a nightmare for sure!

Before I placed my order IN JANUARY for an intercooler and flow mod for my 03 cobra, I asked him about how long it would be. He assured me "2 weeks and I will have it made and shipped out". I was excited. I paid the man $1399.00 plus $40 dollars for shipping. A few weeks go by, nothing. I message him and he tells me the usual lies. Says he's backed up and assured me it would be shipped out soon. We go back and forth for months with this. Then finally he tells me it's made, tested, boxed up and ready to ship, he just has to find it because he just moved shops. This is in July. 6 months after the original promise date. Again, I am excited. A damn month goes by and I don't hear anything. No product. No messages. So I reach out early august and am basically begging him at this point to just tell me the truth. If he can't make it happen, totally cool, just tell me and I will make other arrangements. I didn't hear anything from him (surprising, right. Haha) so I sent another message along the same lines, please tell me what's going on with my parts. I'm not a rich person and I can't afford to have this money tied up in parts I'm waiting on for months. I heard nothing back. Finally, in mid August he gets back to me saying "I'm so busy and I apologize". So I say cool, when is my intercooler going to be here. Now keep in mind he has already told me it's made, boxed and ready to ship. This a hole tells me "I'm pressure testing it right now, I will have it out in a week. This was in September. Hmmmm, real odd. Why is he pressure testing an intercooler that was already good to go. At this point I know he is lying to me. But still, I am trying to be understanding and support a small business. So I say, alright man, I will wait 2 more weeks. That's giving him the week he said it was going to be plus another week for some cushion. What do you know, 3 weeks go by and I hear nothing. No intercooler. And to add insult to injury, this guy posts a picture of an extremely expensive cnc table on his Facebook page. I'm thinking, oh OK, now I know where my money went. This guy is taking peoples money and buying a new shop and equipment with it. I would think it would be a higher priority for him to satisfy his orders instead of buying stuff with others peoples money. I am done at this point so I ask for a refund. He then gets back to me a week later and says he will refund me my money. I am a bit relieved at this point cuz it's finally over. 2 weeks go by and nothing. No refund. So again, I message him. He claims he already processed my refund. So I call my cc company. They tell me, no he has not processed any refund. More lies! Another 2 weeks go by and I message him again explaining to him what my cc company said. This is where it gets even worse which I didn't think was possible. At this point it's late November. A month after he told me he refunded my money. Absolutely unacceptable!! I am freaking out at this point cuz it seems he may be scamming me and keeping my money. I express to him my concerns. He then messages me with this arrogant attitude telling me he's not worried about it (well duh! It's not your money dick!) he was very condescending and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about and neither does my credit card company. Wow! Ok. I didn't realize I was in the wrong for being upset about waiting nearly a year for a product that I was told would be shipped out in 2 weeks. Man, I'm such jerk, right?! After this, the refund miraculously appears in my account, that is, with a catch. Stay with me.... Bet you didn't think it was gonna get worse! Ha!! It does. I got a refund for $1399. This guy kept the shipping fee. I am in absolute shock!!! Unfortunately, I am also a bit relieved cuz at least I got the 1400 hundo back. I sent him a message politely asking what the deal is. Why did I not get refunded the 40 bucks for the shipping. This was 3 weeks ago. He has since been on Facebook and ignored my message. This man stole my money. In the long run I basically paid this guy 40 bucks to put me through absolute hell for a year. Awesome!

For those of you that are supporting him still, I have one question, WHY?? He is a liar. He is a thief. I have proof of all of this if anyone needs to see it. Please stop supporting someone who is absolutely toxic to this community. I waited to post this because I thought he may come around and give me the rest of my money back but nope. So I am here sharing my experience so others don't get completely screwed by him.

In the end I'm just relieved I got most of my money back. Pretty sad, huh. This man stole from me and I am just going to have to let it go. Please, please stop supporting this business.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread