Votes: 24 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
One observation I have made.....

Trying to find Pennzoil Ultra API SN at a good price is difficult. Wal Mart had it priced so competitive, it would be hard to use anything else. However, they have stopped stocking it in stores. I found 10 quarts on clearance at a local Wal Mart yesterday for $5.00 each. I bought all they had left for testing purposes in the aforementioned 2004 Lincoln Town Car. No other Wal Mart in my area has any at all, only Platinum. The days of Wal Mart stocking 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultra for $27.xx is history. Most likely never to happen again.

Pep Boys stocks it, but wow....$9.79 per quart. No thank you, I would order Amsoil Signature Series on the internet as a preferred customer for $7.85 per quart first.

*Notice that API "SN" above is in bold. Two quarts of Pennzoil Ultra that were on clearance I didn't buy, as they were API "SM". That is the older formulation that didn't perform nearly as well.*

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
One observation I have made.....

Trying to find Pennzoil Ultra API SN at a good price is difficult. Wal Mart had it priced so competitive, it would be hard to use anything else. However, they have stopped stocking it in stores. I found 10 quarts on clearance at a local Wal Mart yesterday for $5.00 each. I bought all they had left for testing purposes in the aforementioned 2004 Lincoln Town Car. No other Wal Mart in my area has any at all, only Platinum. The days of Wal Mart stocking 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultra for $27.xx is history. Most likely never to happen again.

Pep Boys stocks it, but wow....$9.79 per quart. No thank you, I would order Amsoil Signature Series on the internet as a preferred customer for $7.85 per quart first.

*Notice that API "SN" above is in bold. Two quarts of Pennzoil Ultra that were on clearance I didn't buy, as they were API "SM". That is the older formulation that didn't perform nearly as well.*

Seems to be a regional thing, some people in the mid-west say WM is still stocking it. My local Wal-Mart stopped stocking it too and put it on clearance. I loaded up on SN Ultra, $21.00 for jugs and $5.00 per quart.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Seems to be a regional thing, some people in the mid-west say WM is still stocking it. My local Wal-Mart stopped stocking it too and put it on clearance. I loaded up on SN Ultra, $21.00 for jugs and $5.00 per quart.

I'm going to search one more Wal Mart in my area to see what they have left. I want it for testing purposes in the Town Car. It also has a 4.6L 2V modular.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'm running Castrol GTX High Mileage 5w30 (syn blend) with either a RP or K&N filter.

I open-track the car and change out oil every two to three track events (~6 days total) since I'm running the car hard. Only other miles put on the car is to/from the track and occasionally to the store, so figure 500 street miles max + track miles. I'll swap out the filter every 2 oil changes.

- Am I doing a disservice to my motor with this oil?
- Can I go longer on oil changes with a better quality oil?
- Should i run a heavier weight during the hot, summer track days?
- Any concern with leaks with full syn on a motor w/80K? no current leaks, but it can go through a bunch of oil at the track (no catch can yet either)

LilBerx

Established Member
Schaeffers synblend 5-20, has a little over 4k miles on it and is still green. It's getting changed this week, I am probably going to switch to schaeffers 5-30. With a motorcraft filter.
6FA175ED_zpsca1ffbd0.jpg

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Schaeffers synblend 5-20, has a little over 4k miles on it and is still green. It's getting changed this week, I am probably going to switch to schaeffers 5-30. With a motorcraft filter.
6FA175ED_zpsca1ffbd0.jpg

Interesting,never knew Schaeffers was green.

4a7191a

Established Member
Mobil 1 extended performance 10w30 in the lightning and Mach 1 with the motorcraft 820 filter

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
quaker state defy 10w-30 blend w/ motorcraft filter - 130,000 mile 1996 4.0l explorer sport, she doesn't quite need amsoil signature:lol1:

Last edited:

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Amsoil SS 0w-30 and a Mobil 1 EP filter. The motor seems to love the 0w30 judging by the last UOA. Besides, every motor can benefit from a light oil for cold starts. Not much difference between a 30deg and a 75deg cold start. It's still ice cold as far as the components are concerned.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Nor did I. Haven't seen "green" oil since Castrol changed their 0W-30 formulation in 2006.

Check out the Brad Penn Green UB, it's what we run in the Outlaw car and the choice of lots of Pro-Mod guys, some kick ass oil for cars making over 3000HP:bowdown:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Ben, Pennzoil Ultra is kicking serious butt....I'm impressed to say the least. It's the only commonly found off the shelf formulation that specs like Amsoil Signature Series. It's also making Royal Purple base line look like crap in comparison on paper. Bravo Pennzoil, Bravo! I will have a 10,000+ mile UOA using base line Royal Purple in another few months. My mother's 2004 Lincoln Town car, which previously had Amsoil ATM 10W-30 in it, has been running this year's fill with Royal Purple. Side by side results are near.

Even the Penzoil Ultra UOA's are returning excellent. Here is a 2011 Mustang GT that went from Motorcraft 5W-20, to Mobil 1 0W-40 (misprint on the UOA), to Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30. No shearing, wear metals are "ultra" low (pun intended), although two quarts of make up oil were added between oil changes. That will boost TBN and consumption is due to the engine, not lubricant choice.

This UOA is Canadian, so the miles are actually Kilometers.

2011GTMultipleSamples_zpsddc5c041.jpg

Is sample C the true motorcraft oil since you said above he started with that and that is the oldest sample? Are we saying that the motorcraft oil had a zinc content of 1,500? I know that Mobil 1 isn't that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread