It's Official! 2020 GT500 Makes 760HP

1560939961252.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., June 19, 2019 – Venomous strike: The all-new 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful street-legal Ford ever – with the most power- and torque-dense supercharged production V8 engine in the world.

Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question and good comparison. I think Tremec is solid for American muscle and has committed to the DCT for a new generation. This comes from several conversations, most recently last weekend at Power Tour where there were 2 Tremec engineers. They felt it’s was very ready for the challenge of the new 500 and C8. I asked them if it’ll hold 800rwhp, my target at this point and one was very confident, almost confirming they’ve tested it there.
I also think the GT has helped Ford tremendously with the DCT tune. The Vehicle Dynamics engineer I met was deep in the GT and Lemans effort and was fully involved in the 500 while also complimenting the DCT and its performance. He basically was saying how he's a stick guy but the DCT has impressed him enough to almost win him over, although he personally would prefer a manual be offered while conceding the DCT performance on track.
As far as figuring out the tuning, this is still a Mustang and the tuning market is huge.
I’m hoping by adding octane and boost and bumping the limiter a bit, that the trans tuning will be minimal.
All TBD, but good bench racing material eh?
:)
-J

all we have is benchracing for a few more months. But our thought process is nearly identical.
intake/TB/pulley/tune/E85/DRs/exhaust - probably ported blower.. and thats it. I expect, and would be highly pissed if the dct cant handle that. i assume 8-850rwhp, and it should live forever with that stuff. How far to push the dct? ill let evolution/vmp/pbd etc find those limits on someone elses car. but, as they do, ill follow that route

For also the same reasons, my kids never been in any of my racecars.. this car we can take around, drop him off at school ect ect.

Because people that know how to tune, can see the issues with what he said. AND, if you just mentioned hes part of VMP, well, credibility took another hit. 2-1 odds he comes back with "VMP the first and only tuners to have gt500 tunes ready to go" or some bs

Now you are just being asinine.

Because people that know how to tune, can see the issues with what he said. AND, if you just mentioned hes part of VMP, well, credibility took another hit. 2-1 odds he comes back with "VMP the first and only tuners to have gt500 tunes ready to go" or some bs

Lol... come on M, stop.... LoL!

all we have is benchracing for a few more months. But our thought process is nearly identical.
intake/TB/pulley/tune/E85/DRs/exhaust - probably ported blower.. and thats it. I expect, and would be highly pissed if the dct cant handle that. i assume 8-850rwhp, and it should live forever with that stuff. How far to push the dct? ill let evolution/vmp/pbd etc find those limits on someone elses car. but, as they do, ill follow that route

For also the same reasons, my kids never been in any of my racecars.. this car we can take around, drop him off at school ect ect.

You are in for a RUDE awakening... lol

I was just thinking about the Demon comparison and it dawned on me that venom probably does kill demons. Keep in mind that the demon is on race gas and drs. Put it on a street tire and pump gas or alternatively the gt500 on drs and race gas and gt500 wins, no question.

As I get older, I am more drawn to concervative designs. Based on looks alone, I would choose the Challenger Demon or Hellcat over the GT500. However, I would probably still rather have a GT350 over all of them. I have become a man of simple needs..and bad knees.. LOL.

Solid intel if correct. 7% seems like a safe OEM margin to cover for guys hooning it while heatsoaked on pump 91.
For my plans to relatively quickly put the car on E85 with a free flowing exhaust and 4-5psi added plus a wheel/tire, I hope the OEM hard parts are fine for that.
I’ll drive it 100% stock for a few months like every car I acquire to determine the mod plan.
For now, it’s a true do it all GT car that my wife can still tolerate. She likely won’t drive it, but it’ll be what I take when I have her away from the kids.
My kids now prefer the Hellcat but my son turned 6 this month and got his first ride GT500 this week and absolutely loved the ‘snake car’ :)
Ok long post, back to waiting for buyers guide.
-J
The room inside the Challenger / Hellcat platform is what speaks to me. I understand that a smaller car should be faster, but at the end of it all, I'm not racing everyday, and definitely not if my family is in the car.

I know this is way off topic, but Inreally wish Dodge would provide a convertible Challenger option. Who cares if it's 300lbs heavier.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Like i said, as someone who knows engines and modifying, do you believe the tuning is "deep" and will be uncharacteristically long or difficult for the aftermarket to get to?

Transmission, sure. Now I come from the BMW crowd, where as BMW HATES people modifying things, and that took a little time, but nothing crazy, but it was done, and the DCT took longer, but it was done. And thats whith an ECU that controls an aftermarket boosted V8 paired with a DCT.. so the similarities are close, as will be the end state

I agree, but its more than the sum of its parts. Had it not had DCT, id be buying a porsche. But here we are, this looks like a killer setup and drawing customers from rival brands, while delivering killer performance for dollar.. or at least on paper for now

That’s the problem i see on other forums and Facebook. A lot of Ford fans are sucking this cars dick and i don’t get it lol. Is it fast sure, but is it enough. I don’t think so,

As I get older, I am more drawn to concervative designs. Based on looks alone, I would choose the Challenger Demon or Hellcat over the GT500. However, I would probably still rather have a GT350 over all of them. I have become a man of simple needs..and bad knees.. LOL.

Sounds like you’re SOL with the 350, you might need an automatic... lol

I know this is way off topic, but Inreally wish Dodge would provide a convertible Challenger option. Who cares if it's 300lbs heavier.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Ewww

I was just thinking about the Demon comparison and it dawned on me that venom probably does kill demons. Keep in mind that the demon is on race gas and drs. Put it on a street tire and pump gas or alternatively the gt500 on drs and race gas and gt500 wins, no question.

I disagree and i don’t even like dodge, even thought the demon can barley run 9s without a prayer. I bet it’s faster from a roll and in general. It won’t weigh that much more than the new gt500 and make more power, plus a lot more tq

Hilarious. No one has their hands on it and yet it both overpromises and underdelivers. Back to the drawing board I guess.

This isn’t 2013 and 662hp is the end of the damn world. Ford could easily get 800hp from this engine, they also could of raised the compression a bit as well to get some extra tq. Aka it’s smells like them going, it’s good enough they’ll buy it. This is the attitude of the Jim hackett

That’s the problem i see on other forums and Facebook. A lot of Ford fans are sucking this cars dick and i don’t get it lol. Is it fast sure, but is it enough. I don’t think so,
Enough for what? Based on paper its going to "win" at everything other than track prepped 1/4 mile and most likely will beat everything in equal scenarios in real life. I thought the Demon would have won a roll but plenty of evidence has led me to believe that aint happening.

What would you have done differently?

Enough for what? Based on paper its going to "win" at everything other than track prepped 1/4 mile and most likely will beat everything in equal scenarios in real life. I thought the Demon would have won a roll but plenty of evidence has led me to believe that aint happening.

What would you have done differently?

Turbos, duel injection, 10.5.1 compression

It can be done they got the parts lmfao

Hey at least you actually answered that question, most people tuck tail over that simple request lol

I can’t go into detail but i do have very close ties to ford. Trust me when i say this, they could of done a lot more lol. It’s kinda sad IMO they didn’t even approve of this engine until 18 months ago, very little lead time. Makes me wonder

And i could say the same thing about the GT350, they haven’t done shit to the engine since 2015. Once again they could very easily get DI and raise the compression,. 550-575hp all day long but i can dream

I can’t go into detail but i do have very close ties to ford. Trust me when i say this, they could of done a lot more lol. It’s kinda sad IMO they didn’t even approve of this engine until 18 months ago, very little lead time. Makes me wonder
Why didnt they just make the car TT, 3200lbs and have active aero... For 70-85k... Damn what a joke eh could have called the the Shelby GT720S, hell maybe even the shelby GTsenna

Why didnt they just make the car TT, 3200lbs and have active aero... For 70-85k... Damn what a joke eh could have called the the Shelby GT720S, hell maybe even the shelby GTsenna

Yeah wtf lmfao, but ford wants to make money so blower car with no Originality And mark ups it is

Users who are viewing this thread