It's Official! 2020 GT500 Makes 760HP

1560939961252.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., June 19, 2019 – Venomous strike: The all-new 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful street-legal Ford ever – with the most power- and torque-dense supercharged production V8 engine in the world.

Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know if the 760/625 rating for the engine is SAE certified? The Trinity engine when the 13/14 Shelby was announced the 662/631 rating was SAE certified.

Tony

Most of you complaining that the Redeye Hellkitty still has more hp need to remember "power to weight" ratio.

HRE 4400lbs @ 797hp = 5.52 lbs/hp
GT500 at est. 4200lbs (worse case scenario) @ 760 = 5.52 lbs/hp

If the 500 comes in less than 4200 lbs once we know the weight of this thing it will have a better p/w ratio, so not to worry SVTP members the car won't give up anything to the Kitty. Let's just hope it doesn't weigh more than 4200lbs.

Tony
Now do that by average horsepower and torque...

Wasn't there talk about GM going with a ZF DCT rather than a Tremec DCT in the C8?

Trust me, the power is managed across the entire spectrum via control modules for every subsystem. When torque can be used, it gets used. When it isn't available, you sense heft. I'd rather have torque on tap than not.

My guess with respect to the deciding factor in a 1320' run with something like a HC Redeye will be how well the traction control system, the suspension, and the 315 series tires can work in concert to plant the power. Power to weight always matters, but with obscenely powerful motors like these, traction will be the winning factor. I think the HC has 305 series tires...not sure how sticky they are or how well those cars can throw the weight to the back and plant it. If I were a Ford engineer, my skunkworks budget would be spent on improving traction. Hopefully the 60' times will be 1.80 or better (ideal conditions).

And this is why dct is beneficial, tighter faster shifts and better gearing

Also, according to FB group posts i saw in HRE groups, fastest stock tune ( but with a DR of course) is 10.62, dont recall mph. So to me, 500, on a DR needs to and will, best that. Stock for stock anyway.

Mph will always favor the 500, as most of my time is spent on Mexican highways since i dont like giving DSS anymore $$

Happy with the horsepower but concerned about the torque. It’s less than the ZL1 Camaro, Hellcat and even the 13-14 GT500. The rumors the DCT is already at its limit might be true...
If you go to tremec online you can look up this trans with max tq capacity of 650 lbs. might be an issue for add ons

Anyone thinking this car has a chance in hell of being less than 4K is smoking crack.... Have you seen the size of the front steel brakes and calipers? They are huge... and even though they are two piece are surely HEAVY... coolers, dct, supercharger etc... 4200lbs starts looking possible.

Ford couldn’t keep the full carbon fiber Ford GT below 3350lbs actual curb weight... even though they kept claiming a very light weight package. 3350 is about what a base C7 weighs.....

Last edited:
Anyone thinking this car has a chance in hell of being less than 4K is smoking crack.... Have you seen the size of the front steel brakes and calipers? They are huge... and even though they are two piece are surely HEAVY... coolers, dct, supercharger etc... 4200lbs starts looking possible.

Ford couldn’t keep the full carbon fiber Ford GT below 3350lbs actual curb weight... even though they kept claiming a very light weight package. 3350 is about what a base C7 weighs.....

We're getting off topic here, but "couldn't" and "didn't" are not the same thing. The GT was ~2900 lbs with fixed aero, but after experimenting with active aero they realized it was faster, so they abandoned the weight goal.

Now, that being said I 100% agree that the GT500 is going to be heavy.

In order to move a fatty you need torque, lots of it. The fact that it may favor the higher end of the rpm scale (for a FI engine anyway) is a great thing for a track with turns though too.
No , more TQ car makes the harder it is to launch on the street . it's a 5.2 motor with TVS blower , that's plenty TQ down low , it might even be too much . My last car and the current car both have DCT .My N/A R8 doesn't make shit for TQ , like 413tq at 6500rpms LOL. However it launches like mofo on the street for heaving no TQ down low 0-60mph in 2.5 sec . Supercharged R8s heaving a very hard time launching because they make too much TQ down low . I'd take a car with DCT that makes low TQ over the one that makes crazy crazy amount of TQ down low

Now do that by average horsepower and torque...

Gt500 will hook because it only needs to plant 625tq. Revving to 7500 helps a ton with launching. Moves the power and up.

Rev a hellcat redeye to 7500 and we can talk about average tq and hp.

As it sits the hellcat red eye runs very high 10’s in great conditions or mid 11’s on average. The gt500 will run mid to high 10’s in average to good conditions. The dct is a dramatic helper. Taking shift times from 300ms to 90-100ms means the dodge shifting 4 times has been unable to use its power as propulsion for 1200ms during that quarter mile. The gt500 experiences just 3 shifts at less than 100ms so that is .9 seconds of extra propulsion in a 400m race.

.9 seconds is the difference of:

14.9 vs 13.9
13.9 vs 12.9
12.9 vs 11.9
10.9 vs 9.9
9.9 vs 8.9

Take anyone’s car on this site making 600whp manual or auto and put a dct in it. Car will drop almost 1 full second at the strip.

Dct’s are impressive for winning races.

It won’t take much to get a new base gt500 in the mid and low 9’s.

Slicks, pulley, e85, tune (800-850whp) catless x and remove the cat back at the strip.

Spray a 100 shot and you’ll have 8’s

We now need to see a dyno chart of the engine making the 760/625, interested to see what rpm the hp and torque peak are at and also how much torque is available at let's say 2k & 3k rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread