It's Official! 2020 GT500 Makes 760HP

1560939961252.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., June 19, 2019 – Venomous strike: The all-new 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful street-legal Ford ever – with the most power- and torque-dense supercharged production V8 engine in the world.

Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing has a TVS blower that people claim has massive torque down low. What's the problem? As far as we know for now, it could have that 625 lbs/ft from 1800 thru 6000 RPM. Wait until we see a dyno sheet or performance numbers before complaining too much.

The thing has a TVS blower that people claim has massive torque down low. What's the problem? As far as we know for now, it could have that 625 lbs/ft from 1800 thru 6000 RPM. Wait until we see a dyno sheet or performance numbers before complaining too much.

Welcome back...

Most of you complaining that the Redeye Hellkitty still has more hp need to remember "power to weight" ratio.

HRE 4400lbs @ 797hp = 5.52 lbs/hp
GT500 at est. 4200lbs (worse case scenario) @ 760 = 5.52 lbs/hp

If the 500 comes in less than 4200 lbs once we know the weight of this thing it will have a better p/w ratio, so not to worry SVTP members the car won't give up anything to the Kitty. Let's just hope it doesn't weigh more than 4200lbs.

Tony

Last edited:
Most of you complaining that the Redeye Hellkitty still has more hp need to remember "power to weight" ratio.

If the 500 comes in less than 4200 lbs once we know the weight of this thing it will have a better p/w ratio, so not to worry SVTP members the car won't give up anything to the Kitty. Let's just hope it doesn't weight more than 4200lbs.

Tony

My guess with respect to the deciding factor in a 1320' run with something like a HC Redeye will be how well the traction control system, the suspension, and the 315 series tires can work in concert to plant the power. Power to weight always matters, but with obscenely powerful motors like these, traction will be the winning factor. I think the HC has 305 series tires...not sure how sticky they are or how well those cars can throw the weight to the back and plant it. If I were a Ford engineer, my skunkworks budget would be spent on improving traction. Hopefully the 60' times will be 1.80 or better (ideal conditions).

If the 500 comes in less than 4200 lbs once we know the weight of this thing it will have a better p/w ratio, so not to worry SVTP members the car won't give up anything to the Kitty. Let's just hope it doesn't weight more than 4200lbs.

Tony
A 1998 GMC Yukon was just under 4500lbs. Maybe closer to 4700 but crazy how big and heavy things are getting.

HRE's don't come from Dodge with Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires like the Shelby will, not that you would run down the dragstrip on them you will most likely switch to a DR/slick tire (just like the HRE owner would also go DR/slick).

The only issue is the 20" wheels, you would want to run a smaller diameter wheel (that will fit over the rear brakes) with a decent sidewall DR tire and either keep the OE overall diameter or smaller. You don't want to run a taller overall diameter DR tire/wheel setup as that will kill your rear axle gearing for track use.

Im impressed by what Ive read about the new GT500 and like the power numbers! I remember my new 04 cobra was rated at 390. This new Shelby is nearly double that, think about that! The DCT in a muscle car like this will be a game changer for the segment too. I think this car will deliver big time. So much so that I'll bet Chevy dumps all the leftover ZR1 engines in the ZL1 Camaro to counter this Shelby. Now the ZL1 and Vette Z06 are outgunned by over 100hp suddenly. As mentioned earlier, power to weight is the key. Now if Ford can keep the weight down, something Dodge hasnt been able to do, they can lead this segment. This Shelby will also be a turner, not just a straight line car like the Dodge offerings. The ZL1 is quite the handler as well, just way down on power now. Ive been saying that Id prolly never buy a new Stang again but I'll keep my eye on this car. If it really delivers, Id almost consider one in a year or so after all the markups are long gone and we see how durable this cars DCT is. Getting that first year model sometimes is a gamble.

Im impressed by what Ive read about the new GT500 and like the power numbers! I remember my new 04 cobra was rated at 390. This new Shelby is nearly double that, think about that! The DCT in a muscle car like this will be a game changer for the segment too. I think this car will deliver big time. So much so that I'll bet Chevy dumps all the leftover ZR1 engines in the ZL1 Camaro to counter this Shelby. Now the ZL1 and Vette Z06 are outgunned by over 100hp suddenly. As mentioned earlier, power to weight is the key. Now if Ford can keep the weight down, something Dodge hasnt been able to do, they can lead this segment. This Shelby will also be a turner, not just a straight line car like the Dodge offerings. The ZL1 is quite the handler as well, just way down on power now. Ive been saying that Id prolly never buy a new Stang again but I'll keep my eye on this car. If it really delivers, Id almost consider one in a year or so after all the markups are long gone and we see how durable this cars DCT is. Getting that first year model sometimes is a gamble.

This new engine is only beating the ZR1 LT5 by 5 hp but it's down 90 ft/lbs in the torque dept. 5 hp is nothing. As you mentioned the ZL1 1LE has the handling down pat currently. We still need to know how the 500 does in the handling dept. The DCT will be the X factor for the Shelby.

If GM drops the LT5 in the ZL1 and the chassis can handle the additional power/torque the Camaro will be a formidable package.

Last edited:

If the 500 comes in less than 4200 lbs once we know the weight of this thing it will have a better p/w ratio, so not to worry SVTP members the car won't give up anything to the Kitty. Let's just hope it doesn't weigh more than 4200lbs.

Tony

One of the mags weighed the HRE at just over 4500 when FCA claimed 4400. Not sure of options. GT500 will shift faster and have better aero as well.

If you look at tvs and whipple coyote dyno’s you will see the same thing with torque..it is a 31x cubic inch motor with gigantic cylinder heads after all...

Users who are viewing this thread