It's Official! 2020 GT500 Makes 760HP

1560939961252.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., June 19, 2019 – Venomous strike: The all-new 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful street-legal Ford ever – with the most power- and torque-dense supercharged production V8 engine in the world.

Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice numbers and then a tweek here and there will easily be in the 800 - 900 hp range
Based on how few Trinity owners modded their engines in any significant way and the expence associated with repairing that engine most will likely be left stock (not that 760 hp is something to sneeze at). It's going to be a phenomenal car all around regardless I would take it over the Camaro any day. Something tells me it will only be offered with the DCT gearbox .

Too much torque down low just spins the tires. Having said that we have no idea if it’s enough torque for slicks at the drags or 50mph pulls vs Z06’s/991TS or pulling off the 35mph turn 11 at Sonoma.

My largest concern is the longevity of the DCT. Ford doesn't have the best track record for specifying transmission components that aren't nearly glass. They have had a few solid contenders, but most have been a bit on the fragile side.

Tremec DCT guts are pretty stout, though slicks do have a way of finding weak spots in everything.

C8 'vette will get the same from Tremec, just a year or so later.

Tremec DCT guts are pretty stout, though slicks do have a way of finding weak spots in everything.

C8 'vette will get the same from Tremec, just a year or so later.

It still all depends on the components that the motor company specifies. Not all T-56, 6 speeds are the same, as an example.

Too much torque down low just spins the tires.

Trust me, the power is managed across the entire spectrum via control modules for every subsystem. When torque can be used, it gets used. When it isn't available, you sense heft. I'd rather have torque on tap than not.

The numbers are good. Remember, this car is MEANT TO TURN as well. So the TQ numbers are good for that as well. To much TQ and you have issues putting it to the ground. The DCT in these cars are still the drk horse. How will it perform, how much abuse can it take ?

Overall I am please with the numbers. I'm guessing the CF package will slip under 4k with the base being slightly over 4k. Which really works out well. Most who buy the base will be in for the 1/4 and will work the car for it. The track rats will have the other package and will set themselves for it.

It's going to get real interesting real fast.

Ever thought the tq was reduced to keep from tearing up the DCT?

Trust me, the power is managed across the entire spectrum via control modules for every subsystem. When torque can be used, it gets used. When it isn't available, you sense heft. I'd rather have torque on tap than not.

I do see your point here, and especially after owning a 350 with low tq output it could feel similar until a certain rpm starts moving the car faster. But Ford really needs to release some proof of this thing both road course # and 1/4 mile #s to ease the current expectations it “should” beat this or that car

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Too much torque down low just spins the tires. Having said that we have no idea if it’s enough torque for slicks at the drags or 50mph pulls vs Z06’s/991TS or pulling off the 35mph turn 11 at Sonoma.

Depends. With Computer controled transmission it can be tamed. I believe the reason for the low tq numbers is to keep from destroying the DCT.

Me old school. If I can’t manage it with my foot I can’t manage it. Haha

I do see your point here, and especially after owning a 350 with low tq output it could feel similar until a certain rpm starts moving the car faster. But Ford really needs to release some proof of this thing both road course # and 1/4 mile #s to ease the current expectations it “should” beat this or that car

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
You wont get proper comparisons until Randy P gets them and does his same day hot laps

Users who are viewing this thread