It's Official! 2020 GT500 Makes 760HP

1560939961252.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., June 19, 2019 – Venomous strike: The all-new 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful street-legal Ford ever – with the most power- and torque-dense supercharged production V8 engine in the world.

Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've reached the conclusion that they really don't want to be in the performance game by choice. It would seem that only as a result of quite a bit of external pressure did they finally get off their ass.

They have taken way too long to get this one done and out the door. That tells me they have neither the desire or the ability (or both) to cut through the red tape. That's a management issue or apparently a success in the eyes of their new CEO.

This is one of the most depressing things I have ever read on a car forum.

I've reached the conclusion that they really don't want to be in the performance game by choice. It would seem that only as a result of quite a bit of external pressure did they finally get off their ass.

They have taken way too long to get this one done and out the door. That tells me they have neither the desire or the ability (or both) to cut through the red tape. That's a management issue or apparently a success in the eyes of their new CEO.

This!

Six years from the last GT500 should indicate that there is a LOT of development on new technology going on. Instead, what we get is warmed over existing tech. With the exception of the transmission there is nothing ground breaking about the car. The 5.2 is just a bumped up Coyote with positive displacement. Not a bad choice but nothing new.
It does seem that Ford was pressured into bringing something out but were reluctant to significantly upstage the current pony car leaders.

This!

Six years from the last GT500 should indicate that there is a LOT of development on new technology going on. Instead, what we get is warmed over existing tech. With the exception of the transmission there is nothing ground breaking about the car. The 5.2 is just a bumped up Coyote with positive displacement. Not a bad choice but nothing new.
It does seem that Ford was pressured into bringing something out but were reluctant to significantly upstage the current pony car leaders.

With all the experience Ford has with the EcoBoost turbo motors, I was really hoping for a TT 5.0 or 5.2. Ford has been doing the twin-screw modular for quite a while now.

In regards to the "roll-out" of this car, it has been abysmal. This car is clearly not a priority for Ford, which is a shame to the enthusiasts. What Ford forgets is that we enthusiasts also purchase F-150s (my daily), Expeditions (my wifes), and Escapes (my sons). One of my client's recently received his new ZR1 (the same one Tob rode in recently) and after riding in that car, it really opened my eyes - street legal (barely) race car.

I think Ford wants to skate passed the busters. Busters buy hype and don’t maintain their cars.

The bad thing about putting a loud campaign together is it attracts loud and generally ignorant people.

Just today I had a friend (great guy, very smart at running his business but not auto-mechanically astute) tell me he needs about 800whp so he can get 0-60 under 3 seconds and deep in the 2’s, so he wants to do a big supercharger on his 2015 gt.

We all know regardless of stop the hop, Lakewoods, drag radials and drag brakes, it’s very hard to do that. It’s not the excess amount of hp or torque that matters, it’s the available traction potential, and how maximized it is. Realistically, 450wtq in a 3800lbs car could get 0-60 in under 3 seconds with 5.11 gears, slicks etc, drag build.

My point: he’d happily try to run basically 200wtq more than needed to hopefully crest his goal. He wouldn’t know to torque axles weekly, or change fluids after heavy heat cycles. He wouldn’t realize to let it cool down during high temp track day sessions, etc.

This type of performance buyer has money but will likely lead the vehicle to failure.

I’m not saying Ford shouldn’t boast about what the car can do, but I do understand some slight of hand in marketing to the masses with such a repair heavy possibility in the honest realm of experiences far and wide. Warranty claims aren’t cheap.

Chevy and dodge have LOADS of repairs to deal with to go along with a bevy of sales.

Ford has LOADS of sales to go along with a bevy or repairs.

Anyone have the % numbers on ford, dodge, Chevy muscle segment warranty tickets vs sales? I imagine they are decidedly in Fords favor.

I argue Ford should release the goods in professional and grown up publications and disclosures like say a shareholders meeting, or an equivalent to svtoa meetings.

People with the means and the loyalty just want to know what they can anticipate. This would skate passed the lead footed hoonigan brigade blowing up half the cars by not marketing to them but instead informing potential buyers of what is coming.

(I have a thesis in Internet overposting. I identify as a genius so don’t discriminate or infringe on my essence or I’ll yell a lot until you let me enter my safe space unperturbed)

I think Ford wants to skate passed the busters. Busters buy hype and don’t maintain their cars.

The bad thing about putting a loud campaign together is it attracts loud and generally ignorant people.

Just today I had a friend (great guy, very smart at running his business but not auto-mechanically astute) tell me he needs about 800whp so he can get 0-60 under 3 seconds and deep in the 2’s, so he wants to do a big supercharger on his 2015 gt.

We all know regardless of stop the hop, Lakewoods, drag radials and drag brakes, it’s very hard to do that. It’s not the excess amount of hp or torque that matters, it’s the available traction potential, and how maximized it is. Realistically, 450wtq in a 3800lbs car could get 0-60 in under 3 seconds with 5.11 gears, slicks etc, drag build.

My point: he’d happily try to run basically 200wtq more than needed to hopefully crest his goal. He wouldn’t know to torque axles weekly, or change fluids after heavy heat cycles. He wouldn’t realize to let it cool down during high temp track day sessions, etc.

This type of performance buyer has money but will likely lead the vehicle to failure.

I’m not saying Ford shouldn’t boast about what the car can do, but I do understand some slight of hand in marketing to the masses with such a repair heavy possibility in the honest realm of experiences far and wide. Warranty claims aren’t cheap.

Chevy and dodge have LOADS of repairs to deal with to go along with a bevy of sales.

Ford has LOADS of sales to go along with a bevy or repairs.

Anyone have the % numbers on ford, dodge, Chevy muscle segment warranty tickets vs sales? I imagine they are decidedly in Fords favor.

I argue Ford should release the goods in professional and grown up publications and disclosures like say a shareholders meeting, or an equivalent to svtoa meetings.

People with the means and the loyalty just want to know what they can anticipate. This would skate passed the lead footed hoonigan brigade blowing up half the cars by not marketing to them but instead informing potential buyers of what is coming.

(I have a thesis in Internet overposting. I identify as a genius so don’t discriminate or infringe on my essence or I’ll yell a lot until you let me enter my safe space unperturbed)

this is stupid. It’s a mustang. Trying to target a more refined audience, they should release it to this person or only that person because someone else might not take prestine care of it, blah blah.

It’s a mustang, plain and simple. They already have a car that they only trickle out to the select few, the ford Gt.

Its the mustang that keeps the performance customers at ford and when they pull shit like this, all they’re doing is driving their customers away. Just look at the general consensus about how people feel towards it and how many people have already bought something instead.

this is stupid. It’s a mustang. Trying to target a more refined audience, they should release it to this person or only that person because someone else might not take prestine care of it, blah blah.

It’s a mustang, plain and simple. They already have a car that they only trickle out to the select few, the ford Gt.

Its the mustang that keeps the performance customers at ford and when they pull shit like this, all they’re doing is driving their customers away. Just look at the general consensus about how people feel towards it and how many people have already bought something instead.

Oh I agree Ford must be crying and having huge meetings to determine how they need to increase sales and who is to blame and fire. I mean they have basically sold all 5000 units for MY 2020 without a single commercial and the first one auctioned for over a million dollars holly crap what kind of business are they running it’s shameful. Look at the data below to prove how messed up Ford is

2018MY
1. Mustang 75800
2. Camaro 50900
3. Corvette 18700
4. Challenger 66700

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Doing commercials because you have to shows desperation.

Doing commercials because you want to shows passion.

Dodge understands the difference and gives enthusiasts just what they are looking for and in a multitude of flavors. Ford is ****ing lost right now and by choice. The Ford family's desire to have a go with this new CEO, dump the majority of their car line, dump a large quantity of quality engineers/employees, and to cater strongly to social media shows what they value most. And it sure as hell isn't the male car enthusiast, circa 2019.

Doing commercials because you have to shows desperation.

Doing commercials because you want to shows passion.

Dodge understands the difference and gives enthusiasts just what they are looking for and in a multitude of flavors. Ford is ****ing lost right now and by choice. The Ford family's desire to have a go with this new CEO, dump the majority of their car line, dump a large quantity of quality engineers/employees, and to cater strongly to social media shows what they value most. And it sure as hell isn't the male car enthusiast, circa 2019.
Bill Ford is the problem. I think it was back in 2012 when he stated his desire to become a "technology" company.

Oh I agree Ford must be crying and having huge meetings to determine how they need to increase sales and who is to blame and fire. I mean they have basically sold all 5000 units for MY 2020 without a single commercial and the first one auctioned for over a million dollars holly crap what kind of business are they running it’s shameful. Look at the data below to prove how messed up Ford is

2018MY
1. Mustang 75800
2. Camaro 50900
3. Corvette 18700
4. Challenger 66700

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Just because the units are selling doesn’t mean they aren’t driving fans and customers away, just look at the disdain from all the people just on this board.

Just because the units are selling doesn’t mean they aren’t driving fans and customers away, just look at the disdain from all the people ONLY on this board.

Fixed that for you. Quite frankly I think everyone here is just happy to jump on the band wagon of saying Ford is doing a shitty job because it's the cool thing to do right now. Other manufacturers rarely release commercials for halo performance models. Other manufacturers take time between halo performance models. Other manufacturers increase the price as the technology and performance increases. These things are normal, they always have been and they always will be.

Just because the units are selling doesn’t mean they aren’t driving fans and customers away, just look at the disdain from all the people ONLY on this board.

Fixed that for you. Quite frankly I think everyone here is just happy to jump on the band wagon of saying Ford is doing a shitty job because it's the cool thing to do right now. Other manufacturers rarely release commercials for halo performance models. Other manufacturers take time between halo performance models. Other manufacturers increase the price as the technology and performance increases. These things are normal, they always have been and they always will be.

2018MY
1. Mustang 75800
2. Camaro 50900
3. Corvette 18700
4. Challenger 66700

Yeah they are doing a great job.
2018MY - 75,842
2017MY - 81,866
2016MY - 105,932
2015MY- 122,439

Those sale number look great every car manufacture should shoot for drops like that... oh wait

Yeah they are doing a great job.
2018MY - 75,842
2017MY - 81,866
2016MY - 105,932
2015MY- 122,439

Those sale number look great every car manufacture should shoot for drops like that... oh wait

Compare all 4 to really show a true picture, the decline here (without context) doesn't mean much because the mustang still outsold the others in MY2018.

Compare all 4 to really show a true picture, the decline here (without context) doesn't mean much because the mustang still outsold the others in MY2018.
Mustang by far has seen the highest drop in values in last 4 years. Challenger is flat and Camaro is slightly down. Didn't check corvette but assume it is down as well.

Users who are viewing this thread