IT'S HERE: The All-New 2019 Mustang Shelby GT500

MOST POWERFUL STREET-LEGAL PRODUCTION FORD EVER: ALL-NEW MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 TO ATTACK TRACKS, DRAG STRIPS IN 2019

2019_GT500_PR_01.jpg

• Arriving in 2019, the all-new Mustang Shelby® GT500® will be the pinnacle of Mustang performance and highlights the innovation, ingenuity and passion of Ford Performance
  • With more than 700 horsepower projected, the all-new Shelby GT500 fast-back coupe will be twice as powerful as the original 1967 Mustang performance model

DETROIT, Jan. 15, 2018 – Loaded with the most venom ever, the all-new Mustang Shelby® GT500® with its 700-plus horsepower supercharged V8 will be the most powerful street-legal production Ford ever.

Embodying Ford Performance team’s motorsport expertise, this new Mustang is engineered to stand apart on roadways and race tracks, thanks to its new innovative track technologies, performance hardware, plus aggressive and functional track-tuned styling.

2019_GT500_PR_001.jpg
2019_GT500_PR_002.jpg
2019_GT500_PR_003.jpg
2019_GT500_PR_004.jpg
2019_GT500_PR_005.jpg
2019_GT500_PR_006.jpg
2019_GT500_PR_007.jpg
2019_GT500_PR_008.jpg
2019_GT500_PR_009.jpg

Last edited:
Well at least we now have something solid from the big blue oval. I Will be staying tuned to see the juicy details. I suspect hp will be in the 720-740 range max and torque probably a 100 or so less. But I suspect we will all know soon enough. And the wing, well they could have just put the R wing on it as far as that goes cause they nailed it good on the R.

Well at least we now have something solid from the big blue oval. I Will be staying tuned to see the juicy details. I suspect hp will be in the 720-740 range max and torque probably a 100 or so less. But I suspect we will all know soon enough. And the wing, well they could have just put the R wing on it as far as that goes cause they nailed it good on the R.
i dont think the R wing would be good for a "200" mph car...I'm guessing the wing is mounted to the body somehow instead of just the trunk lid

Huge vents on the hood... Not sure how much I'll like that.

I did like to see the flames come out of the tail. My son has told me he has seen flames come out of my completely stock GT350 while banging gears at 8,200 rpm. I don't know why, but that makes me smile. LOL

Is it just me, or did the engine in the video sound like a deeper tone Voodoo?

Can you hear it? GT350R Dealer ADMs crashing all around us!

I hope so. I'll trade the Hellcat for an R and the Tech for a GT500. It would be fun to have a GT350 and GT500 from the same generation.

That looks like 100% CGI and not real.

It was CGI but it was from Ford. They did the same thing with the FGT.

It was indeed all CGI. I see CAD elements throughout. Can't wait for more.

Is it just me, or did the engine in the video sound like a deeper tone Voodoo?

I've compared it to clips of my Borla equipped GT350 and the sound is very similar. A CPC would seem to make more sense for this application and I would not expect the FPC to be used here.

Studying this clip frame by frame yields quite a bit. Problem is you can't always rely on a CGI video when it comes to accuracy. For example, the photo of the front wheel/caliper/rotor.

2019_gt500_pr_002-jpg.1458383

Wheel is the same "architecture" as the base GT350 wheel (spoke design, etc). Undoubtedly in a 20" diameter due (at the very least) to a larger caliper. The GT350 caliper to barrel of wheel clearance was already credit card thin. And these calipers look to match the leaked caliper photo of a few weeks back. Difficult to discern from this one but I don't think I see rotor cross-drilling either.

The above gives me hope though. If the rotor is (in essence) an oversize GT350 iron/aluminum hat, the wheel is 20" in diameter, and the caliper body is now bigger as well, the front suspension modules are going to be heavy. And why would Ford walk away from a fiber wheel after touting it so highly previously (then again, they did just that with the fiber driveshaft by abandoning it after '14 GT500 production ended)? Definitely leaves room for it to happen on something such as a KR version, much like the GT350R. Unless management killed it off for whatever reason.

Next cap...

2019_gt500_pr_004-jpg.1458385

The wing looks to be higher up in the air stream if you scale it and compare it to that of the GT350R. Ford never seems to want to quote data on downforce other than percentage comparisons to previous models or other makes altogether but I hope they share more this time around. Regardless, it is elevated for a reason and it ain't because this thing is somehow slow.

The updated tail lights will look right at home on this upcoming monster.

What I absolutely loathe seeing - the giant, clearly contrasted, snake plastered on the deck lid trim panel. Somebody reasoned that this car is all about "blah, blah, blah" and that it therefore needs to make it clear to anyone behind it as to what it is. No Ford (or whoever overruled the designers that didn't want this), it looks silly. One of the things that made the GT350 so right was the tastefully done, minimalist badging. Going gonzo "because GT500" isn't the best decision, IMHO. Unless of course, Ford wanted to throw FRP a bone as now more will decide to buy the blank panel and put the cartoon-like emblem in a box somewhere.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-16600-MA

If the CGI render is representative of the actual view then mine will definitely go in a box in the attic. The scale of the snake is ridiculous. And no, that is not the very reason why it needed to be there.

Dat hood vent...

2019_gt500_pr_007-jpg.1458388

Somebody was heavily influenced by the Mustang IMSA GT4 hood. Thank God for that. It is in the right spot and looks aggressive from the front. Hopefully it vents adequately such that the hood doesn't raise (as much anyway) as typical S550 hoods do at speed. Thumbs up on this one.

Fender front gills...

2019_gt500_pr_009-jpg.1458390

I'm tempted to say they look a bit gaudy from this perspective but it may be very misleading. No doubt Ford was going to do a different fender, just as the GT350 did. To get room for a wider tire a bulged fender gets the job done. The inlets are interesting to me as I wondered how Ford would respond to the canards of the ZL1 1LE, for example. Huge props for what looks like a different direction. We'll hear all about airflow management, etc, at release but I wonder if anything here (beyond the splitter) was done to keep lift up front to a minimum. This is a tricky design element and I hope Ford pulls this one off as it could easily derail what otherwise looks pretty damn good. Need to see more.

Lower fascia...

GT500%20front%20fascia.jpg~original

While similar in spirit to the GT350 there is definitely some clear differentiation with the GT500. I love the floating lower "fangs" on this car vs the ones on the GT350 that were up against the grilles. The black accents, integrated with body colored pieces look very sharp and right at home. Nailed this one.

As always Ford, MOAR.

Was hoping for at least 800 H.P. 700 is yesterday’s news. Hellcat has had 707 since 2015. Did Ford not see that? Ford has had every opportunity to make this a no excuses car. Doesn’t look like it’s going to live up to expectations. At least mine anyway.

Well done comments, TOB! Makes me really look forward to hearing more about this venomous beast. So far the only thing I'm up in the air with in the "up in the air" rear spoiler. Would be nice to offer customers another option closer to what you get with the GT-350R. Not everyone is going to be tasting 170+mph, because no doubt the tall spoiler is needed to attain the new top speed.

Was hoping for at least 800 H.P. 700 is yesterday’s news. Hellcat has had 707 since 2015. Did Ford not see that? Ford has had every opportunity to make this a no excuses car. Doesn’t look like it’s going to live up to expectations. At least mine anyway.

Ford's going to hang its hat on Power:Weight. If they can get even equal HP at 700lbs less, that's a win for them. Forget the any Demon comparisons as I'm willing to bet FP couldn't have cared less to compete with that car. Only my $.02.

I am glad SVT Performance was able to get this teaser out first before the major auto news sites. They were all asleep last night when this popped up.

This thing is going to be awesome. I cant wait until more pictures are out.

The dealers are salivating at the thought of $30k-$50k markups to the first gotta have it idiots. I hate Ford dealers.

I would venture to guess most of them don't like you either.

You're kidding, right? The Hellcat with the manual was a driver's race for the previous gen GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread