It's Here!! | MGW Gen 2 Shifter for the Tremec TR-3160 | Mach 1 & GT350 6-Speed

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's Here!! | MGW Gen 2 Shifter for the Tremec TR-3160 | Mach 1 & GT350 6-Speed

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_007.jpg

There are few names in the performance industry more synonymous with the idea of quality than MGW Shifters. Simply put, you can lay money on any MGW product having best in class material use and build quality. I’ve personally known George (the owner of MGW) for over a decade, and in that time I’ve gotten to spend time with every shifter he has produced. As time has marched forward George’s products have only gotten better, and his latest shifter is no exception.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_006.jpg

It's hard to beat this 2021 Mach 1 as a test-bed for new performance parts. You may be seeing this thing at a track-day in the near future.

A few days ago we got the call to come try out MGW’s newest shifter, the MGW Gen 2 Shifter for the Tremec TR-3160. This unit will be replacing the Gen 1 Shifter originally released for the Shelby GT350 Mustangs, and will now be MGW’s offering for both the 2021+ Mach 1 and the 2015-2020 GT350 Mustangs. If you have an S550 Mustang with a TR-3160 6-Speed manual transmission you might want to get your wallet ready.

George @MGW gives all the details of his TR-3160 Shifter in this vid.

What you’re looking at is very much an evolution of MGW’s Gen 2 Shifter for the TR-6060 found in the S-197 GT500 Mustangs. It features the same rigid linkage shaft and large bronze support bearing as the 6060 shifter. This is made possible by a 5 degree down-angle machined into the shifter base, which allows the shift linkage to have a nearly straight shot into the trans. The end result is the rifle-bolt-like action that we’ve come to expect from MGW and a roughly 20% reduction in throw. That’s up from the ~15% shorter throw of MGW’s Gen 1 Shifter for the TR-3160 This is also all done without any springs added to the shifter. The Tremec’s internal springs are more than sufficient for the job.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_009.jpg

Check out this billet beauty. This blue and black color scheme represents MGW's image going forward.

All the high quality materials you would expect to find in an MGW Shifter are present: expertly machined billet aluminum, heat-treated high-strength steel, precision machined bronze, armor plated hardware, and beautiful anodizing. Speaking of anodizing, the 3160 shifter is the first to debut with MGW’s new black and blue color scheme. It’s just a shame that you really can’t see much of the MGW Shifter once it is installed.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_010.jpg

This bronze center bearing is one of the features that gives this shifter the MGW rock-solid feel.

So how is it on the road? That’s easy, it’s the best yet. This makes the Mach 1’s greatest feature (the TR-3160 transmission) the best shifting Mustang transmission I’ve experienced. My old favorite was the TR-6060 in a GT500 with the MGW Gen-2, but the TR-3160 is just a much smoother shifting transmission. True, it’s not going to be able to handle abuse like the dump-truck trans in the S-197 GT500, but it is far slicker. Still, the MGW takes the experience to an entirely new level.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_011.jpg

This is where that direct rifle-bolt action resides. Precision machined billet aluminum and steel is the name of the game.

For those of you who have not felt an MGW Gen-2 in a Mustang, you don’t know what you’re missing. When people say it feels like a precision bolt-action rifle, they are not exaggerating. It is smooth, but with a robust mechanical feel to the action. Every shift is like chambering a large caliber round. The internal springs of the transmission allows you to use the “MGW Slap” method of shifting to make sure you never miss a gear, especially when going from 2-3. There’s a reason the quickest H-Pattern shifted car in the world is running one of George’s shifters.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_019.jpg

You can really see the 5 degree down angle machined into the shifter base here.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_013.jpg

This gives you a good look at pivot assembly and the reverse lock-out plate and pin.

What else can I say? This MGW shifter makes my favorite S550 Mustang (the Mach 1) even better. If I had a car equipped with a TR-3160 this would be the first mod I would buy. It would also be an excellent time to install some exhaust or a new driveshaft, because removal of those will make the installation process go much smoother. Once bolted in though, you’ll be ready to row. How much do I like this one? Well, I told George when he gets ready to sell his Mach (probably any day now) to give me the first option to buy it. I know for sure that it will come with a great shifter.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_002.jpg

This SVTP Member's GT350 is the first one equipped with MGW's new Gen-2 Shifter for the Tremec TR-3160.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_003.jpg

A lift isn't necessary to perform this install, but it certainly helps.

If you want an Owner/Driver Review, we have one for you. Check it out.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_005.jpg

Thanks Ford, for installing the factory shift knob with Red Thread Locker. Had to mangle the thing to remove it.

-SID297

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

If you want to see George@MGW slamming gears in his test Mach 1, we have you covered.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_001.jpg

This GT350 looks great. Sorta make me miss my old orange S550.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_004.jpg

Prepped and ready to install.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_008.jpg

Quality is the name of the game for MGW. You won't be disappointed.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_012.jpg

I can't stress how much better the Tremec TR-3160 is than the MT-82. It's truly the Mach 1's greatest feature. MGW just makes it even better.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_014.jpg

The reverse lock-out plate has been updated with a new machined ramp to make shifting into the reverse gate a bit smoother.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_015.jpg

MGW allows you to adjust the reverse lock-out pin in order to dial-in the 1-2 gate to perfection.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_016.jpg

Great way to top-off your new MGW shifter is with one of MGW's custom shift balls.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_017.jpg

Time to open that wallet.

MGW_TR3160_Gen_2_018.jpg

If you want to take your GT350/Mach 1 driving experience to where it should be from the factory, this is what you need.

Last edited:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Every manual transmission car I own . . . if MGW makes a shifter, I get it. Time and time again, they demonstrate quality, engineering, and craftmanship you just don't see many other places (and definitely not from other performance shifter companies).

I've had to call a few times with parts questions, status inquiries, and install questions. I usually always ended up talking with George. He is always intimately familiar with the shifters they sell, and he is never snooty or condescending about your questions . . . a rare combination in the aftermarket parts world.

A+ all the way around.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great write-up, Sid. MGW quality and engineering prowess is renowned. And here again goes George and MGW....with another winner! And a piece of automotive art I might add.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I've always felt the worst part of MGW's products are they are hidden once installed.
Agreed! Side note, I saw a fb post regarding these and their was a comment to the affect how much blue color sucks vs the bronze. Whahaha ;) there’s always one. Anyways great company & product.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nice job documenting everything Travis. A lot of people have been waiting for this and your writeup delivers the goods in droves.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Beautiful, this will be a great upgrade for mach 1 and GT350 owners.

2JZFAN

Established Member
I just wanted to say thank you for all the content. I had no idea you were covering the progress over the last few months.

The email went out from MGW on availability and I ordered mine this morning!

Julius Georgia

Hello to all of the folks that have been waiting for this to be released. I am very happy to say that I am the proud owner of the first GT 350 with the Gen II version! Have been testing the unit since it was installed this past Saturday and have nothing but good things to say about it! I have owned several short throw shifters in different vehicles over the years and what George builds is head and shoulders above any of those. Keep up the great work, George!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know that George's shifters are definitely superior to the competition. What is one thing that really stands out in your week long review? Just one thing that really impresses you, as I know the list could be long. LOL.

quad

Established Member
Wow that looks like some serious hardware! Very cool writeup SID and that orange GT350 looks great! That's an awesome photo.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Put it on your Secret Santa list, Jeff. LOL. Or.....just give yourself a Christmas present. You won't regret it. You'll only have regrets IF you DON'T buy it!

Julius Georgia

Hey CobraBob. That is a very hard question but I would say the quality of the unit. With that, all other points follow. Precision, feel, looks, and on and on. The only bad thing is that it is hidden under the car! George needs to design one that sits on top of the console. LOL

mstrange88

If you want to see George@MGW slamming gears in his test Mach 1, we have you covered.

View attachment 1730287

This GT350 looks great. Sorta make me miss my old orange S550.

View attachment 1730288

Prepped and ready to install.

View attachment 1730289

Quality is the name of the game for MGW. You won't be disappointed.

View attachment 1730290

I can't stress how much better the Tremec TR-3160 is than the MT-82. It's truly the Mach 1's greatest feature. MGW just makes it even better.

View attachment 1730291

The reverse lock-out plate has been updated with a new machined ramp to make shifting into the reverse gate a bit smoother.

View attachment 1730292

MGW allows you to adjust the reverse lock-out pin in order to dial-in the 1-2 gate to perfection.

View attachment 1730293

Great way to top-off your new MGW shifter is with one of MGW's custom shift balls.

View attachment 1730294

Time to open that wallet.

View attachment 1730295

If you want to take your GT350/Mach 1 driving experience to where it should be from the factory, this is what you need.
But where do I buy one? I want to order one today.

Julius Georgia

Go to mgwshifters.com. Or call 706-793-1770 as it has not been added to the site yet. George is building 40 units for the first group. Didn't have a part number in the email that I got from them.

Users who are viewing this thread