It's coming... Muscle cars turned into battery powered, um... Whatevs

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Can just hear it now "I got the invertor upgraded to handle the 1200 spool windings on the motor."
Car guys will start sounding like a bad combination of computer geek and HVAC repairman.

cbj5259

Established Member
I honestly think both electric and bio fuel cars will coexist for quite a long time. It will take at least 25 more years or more to get the infrastructure in place for the majority of cars on the road to be electric. The grid cannot handle everyone charging their cars without a major overhaul and no one wants to pay for it. Plus, the supercharging tech that is currently in place to quick charge the cars batteries ends up damaging them with repeated use. Battery tech is still not up to par with gas/diesel power tech. I think what you will see is similar to what we saw with the quartz watch revolution in the late 60s. Everyone thought that quartz watches were going to make mechanical/automatic watches obsolete. The quartz watches kept better time, were cheaper to produce and were sold at a fraction of the cost of mechanical watches. People proclaimed it was the end of the mechanical watch...and it nearly was, but the industry adapted and carved out a niche and now the mechanical watch industry is doing very well. I think a similar story will be played out with gas powered and electric cars.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

_Snake_

Established Member
I honestly think both electric and bio fuel cars will coexist for quite a long time. It will take at least 25 more years or more to get the infrastructure in place for the majority of cars on the road to be electric. The grid cannot handle everyone charging their cars without a major overhaul and no one wants to pay for it. Plus, the supercharging tech that is currently in place to quick charge the cars batteries ends up damaging them with repeated use. Battery tech is still not up to par with gas/diesel power tech. I think what you will see is similar to what we saw with the quartz watch revolution in the late 60s. Everyone thought that quartz watches were going to make mechanical/automatic watches obsolete. The quartz watches kept better time, were cheaper to produce and were sold at a fraction of the cost of mechanical watches. People proclaimed it was the end of the mechanical watch...and it nearly was, but the industry adapted and carved out a niche and now the mechanical watch industry is doing very well. I think a similar story will be played out with gas powered and electric cars.

Excellent points. However, this time around there are government agencies pushing manufacturers in a specific direction.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Eh, it’s not that difficult in most homes to put a 220/240v drop somewhere, especially considering many panels are already in the garage. My guess, if and when it is a viable alternative from ALL manufacturers then the gov is going to offer another more comprehensive round of major tax encentives to get that ball rolling. They’ll mandate all new business/commercial construction start installing X amount of charging stations. We need more nuclear power plants and I’m sure some major transmission overhaul/additions but I do agree it is inevitable that they will coexist for some time before it’s feasible. I’d be more interested in how/what the long haul industry adopts adopts or changes because that much energy from cells is going to be an entirely different animal for them I imagine.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Here’s the thing, as stated, electric cars are inevitable. I’d love nothing more than to have gas powered, V8, Mustangs for the next hundred years. But that’s not feasible. I’d rather them develop electric versions of these legendary cars than let them die with combustion engines. I agree, it’s not as exciting. But I’ve accepted that in 30 years time, I’ll be shopping for a completely electric Mustang (that will have soul crushingly silent, face melting acceleration).

Kiohtee

Established Member
I have no problem with electric vehicles except that they're mind numbingly silent. At least develop a way to pipe in noise. And a variety of them at that (think; NA V8, turbo V8, NA V10, etc. - from different manufacturers).

Isn't it funny how just a couple years ago when manufacturers started piping in noise we complained? Now we're gonna want it...

cbj5259

Established Member
Here’s the thing, as stated, electric cars are inevitable. I’d love nothing more than to have gas powered, V8, Mustangs for the next hundred years. But that’s not feasible. I’d rather them develop electric versions of these legendary cars than let them die with combustion engines. I agree, it’s not as exciting. But I’ve accepted that in 30 years time, I’ll be shopping for a completely electric Mustang (that will have soul crushingly silent, face melting acceleration).
I dont think gas/diesel powered cars are going to go away completely, even in 100 years. Horses are still here, steam locomotives still exist, bicycles didnt disappear with the advent of the motorcycle...what you saw was the hobbyists took over. I think the same will done with gas cars...as matter of fact you may actually see a renaissance of sorts with specialty companies producing classic gas powered Mustangs and Camaros and Hellcat Challengers etc. Much like you still have companies that produce horse drawn carriages even today. Granted the cost may be prohibitive to the everyday joe and it may be relagated to the wealthy (much like horse ownership is now) but it will most definitely still exist.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I dont think gas/diesel powered cars are going to go away completely, even in 100 years. Horses are still here, steam locomotives still exist, bicycles didnt disappear with the advent of the motorcycle...what you saw was the hobbyists took over. I think the same will done with gas cars...as matter of fact you may actually see a renaissance of sorts with specialty companies producing classic gas powered Mustangs and Camaros and Hellcat Challengers etc. Much like you still have companies that produce horse drawn carriages even today. Granted the cost may be prohibitive to the everyday joe and it may be relagated to the wealthy (much like horse ownership is now) but it will most definitely still exist.

When is the last time you rode a horse to work or took a steam powered train across the country?

These things still exist in reality but not really in practice.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
9 sec quarter mile is impressive regardless of if it gas or electric powered.

7A4B27E6-34D9-42EF-AA05-CACBC33F8588.png

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have no problem with electric vehicles except that they're mind numbingly silent. At least develop a way to pipe in noise. And a variety of them at that (think; NA V8, turbo V8, NA V10, etc. - from different manufacturers).

Isn't it funny how just a couple years ago when manufacturers started piping in noise we complained? Now we're gonna want it...
I could see piped in sound options. We have ambient lighting with selectable colors. Why not selectable (realistic) engine/exhaust sounds? A dead silent motor? It would really have to grow on me.

cbj5259

Established Member
When is the last time you rode a horse to work or took a steam powered train across the country?

These things still exist in reality but not really in practice.
Hence the reason I said "hobbyists".

Users who are viewing this thread