Its been awhile but here are my most recent mods

Matshelby

Established Member
G-force shipped me back my halfshafts in time so I was able to make it to the track last week. Its hard to tell from the pics and with the boots installed but G-force changed the silver portion inbetween the hub and shafts U-joint that the boots clamp tightens on. They made the clamping surface longer so the clamp gets a better grip and cant slip off as easy. At least thats what it looks like to me.

I also picked up a pair of the locking halfshaft nuts that Joe found. He said he got them from Porsche which I assume they charge more but I got mine from ebay through a VW dealership for $20 shipped for the pair. Genuine Volkswagen Axle Nut part#: WHT-006-779

View attachment 1512775
IMG_8444
View attachment 1512776IMG_8446

View attachment 1512777IMG_8445

I also picked up one of the cheap brass shifter bushings to replace my worn out plastic stock piece. They are only like $25 shipped and easy to put in so no big deal. I do think it firmed up my shifts and i havent missed my 2-3 shift since but it could all be placebo...

View attachment 1512778IMG_8457

View attachment 1512779IMG_8461

View attachment 1512780IMG_8458

At this point I am all packed up and ready to hit the track!

View attachment 1512781IMG_8464

All ready to make my first pass!

View attachment 1512782IMG_8485

Where did you get that brass fitting? Sweet build bro.

Matshelby

Established Member
Another side project, changing my switches inside. It will be three switches, I/C pump, H/E fans & line loc. I am waiting on the switches to arrive then I will fit them, cut holes and have the plate powder-coated. pics to follow as it progresses.

View attachment 1508500IMG_8432

And here are the switches I ended up going with. They illuminate green when the accessory is turned on.

View attachment 1508820IMG_8435

Where did you get those switches bro?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Where did you get that brass fitting? Sweet build bro.

Thanks my man, not much of a build, just mods ive chosen to do over the years. I wish I would have started this thread years ago before building my motor.

I picked the bushing up from Tick Performance: Link below
TICKshift #95 Bronze Upgraded Isolator Cup

Where did you get those switches bro?

I picked my switches up from Amazon, not special at all. I can't figure out why im not able to post a link but copy and past this in Amazon:

"E Support™ 16mm 12V 3A Car Green LED Light Power Metal Push Button Toggle Switch Socket Plug Latching Black Shell"

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Thanks, man, what's your Instagram name? I tried svt_troy but no luck

No IG for me my friend, i push it with having a FB. My car stuff posting as far as updates is limited to forums. I go back and forth on some of the FB pages, mostly buy/sale though.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Well my last track outing was stopped by hurricane Michael so my car has been sitting prepped since then. I guess that actually worked out since I ended up finding my passenger side bushings on my new viking coil-overs destroyed. I have roughly 500 street miles and two launches at the drag strip on the new rear coil-over setup. Not much at all.

Anyway onto the pics!

30800805937_e181565397_c.jpg
IMG_1044

45016109754_1f3e35047a_c.jpg
IMG_4453

I have been going back and forth with Viking tech reps and they are sending me a new and improved bushing and bushing washers. I will be sure to post pics of what they send. If your running these coil-overs be sure to check out those upper bushings!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
What do you think was the cause on such little use? Manufacturer defect, quality?

In my opinion it’s the design of the bushing. The shocks upper mounting hole is larger than the bushing hole which causes the bushing to squeeze through the hole. The two badly damaged/deformed bushings on the left are the upper shock mount lower bushing for the driver and passenger sides. The passenger being the one that ripped apart and the driver being the one on its was to rip apart.

I’ll post Vikings updated bushings when I get them. No idea what to expect but I hope they are different and work.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Got the bushings in the mail this week and I just finished installing them. Nothing too exciting but here they are.

31930067878_d73d97dc6b_c.jpg
IMG_7113

44888303665_4ac2ed68e9_c.jpg
IMG_1916

The rubber bushing is the exact same as the old but its the bushing washer that is different. It is a larger diameter and the inside portion where the bushing sits is now flat versus the old one being cupped. The tech rep didn't have the details but said it was better for the bushing to be flat.

One thing to note if you find yourself with a pair of these newer style bushing washers: You tighten the nut down until the rubber bushing is compressed level with the washer (OD). The old style was .20" past the washer.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
A couple videos from yesterday. I have plenty to work on but hopefully can figure out this hesitation issue i'm having and the rest will come with seat time.

My best slip of the day:

45928162572_b032f00b5a_h.jpg
56417130354__D2355E2B-3481-4F36-9369-B5C36862A555

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
lol walked around a bit on the last one!

Do you have a wide open box or two step or anything?

Will it do that on the street if you just go WOT?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
lol walked around a bit on the last one!

Do you have a wide open box or two step or anything?

Will it do that on the street if you just go WOT?

Yea I have a N2MB WOT box and i use the no lift shift on it. I wish I would have made a pass with the box disabled but didn't think about it. It doesn't do it on the street.

Yea she walked around a bit but I never lifted! Watching the video makes it look worse than it felt i guess.

MG0h3

Established Member
Thats the first place I'd look then. If it isn't related to the box the only other thing I could think of is something to do with the g force during the launch.

I'd put money on the box though. Possible you're touching the pedal without knowing it?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Thats the first place I'd look then. If it isn't related to the box the only other thing I could think of is something to do with the g force during the launch.

I'd put money on the box though. Possible you're touching the pedal without knowing it?

Yea a couple other folks told me the same thing. I just would have loved to have thought of that yesterday!

I was running a full tank of gas so I don't think it could be a g-force sloshing the fuel away from the pickup thing. I sent the logs to Kevin (04sleeper) so I'm waiting to see what he says. I looked at them and didn't see indications of a momentary fueling issue. Waiting to see what the pro says though.

I am not touching the clutch but either way I went through and adjusted the WOT box clutch settings so even if I did touch the clutch it wouldn't activate.

MG0h3

Established Member
Awesome!

If that were a fueling issue Id bet big money it isn't mechanical. I think youre on the right track.

Users who are viewing this thread