It's ALIVE!!

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
After months and months (probably 8 since it was last started and a almost 2 years since it was last driven) the LX fired up today. Took about 2 minutes of off and on cranking for it to finally fire up. I let it run for about 2 minutes and here is what I noticed:

1.) Bought a brand new belt yesterday. There is belt dust EVERYWHERE now. Is that normal on a new belt? I had a belt shredding problem prior to the car not being driven anymore. I took a look and all the pullies look like they are aligned with each other.

2.) The power steering pump sounds like it is starting to squal when the rpm's are brought up. Since I am running an 8" crank pulley for my Novi1000(single belt set up) do I need a larger pulley for the PS? I have yet to really drive the car since I installed the 8" because of clearance issues I have always had with it.

3.) Instead of dealing with the PS pump, do I HAVE to run a manual rack to go without power steering, or will the stock unit work without the PS pump?

Just trying to look at options here. Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated!

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Thanks.... Went to start it the other day after tightening the belt some more and the battery was completely dead. Even a charge didnt help it. If it's not one thing, it's another...

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
That's good to hear. :beer:

You will have a hell of a time steering without the pump. The ratio is so high on the rack that you'll have to strongarm it in the turns.

You could be getting too much belt dust on any section of the belt travel is pinched. You may also want to check the remaining accessory pulleys for overly-shiney polished metal. This will indicate a binding pump/tensioner.

I did a shorty on the '85 and it creates dust every time I replace it since there's a tight turn around the alternator.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Well I was able to squeeze the camera in to take a couple of pictures. I am guessing this is why the belt was so hot, and probably where the dust came from. I don't get why everybody else who has run an 8" crank pulley with this blower hasn't had the same problems. Still doesn't explain why I was shredding belts prior to the new crank pulley install....

DSCF00188.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

Chris

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
That's my guess Jeff. I knew it was always close, but never knew how close until I just went and took those pictures. Looks like it's pushing down just enough to cause problems, which may also be where my squeeling is coming from. This sucks too because I paid good money for that pulley.... :mj:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Chris_H said:
That's my guess Jeff. I knew it was always close, but never knew how close until I just went and took those pictures. Looks like it's pushing down just enough to cause problems, which may also be where my squeeling is coming from. This sucks too because I paid good money for that pulley.... :mj:

If you have any wobble in either pulley it will chew up in no time flat. :eek:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
A smaller pump pulley should do the trick, plus it will run the pump a little faster, giving you better coolant flow.

That's a real plus when running under boost. :beer:

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Yeah I have the 93 Cobra water pump pulley on it right now since it's smaller. Just don't know if they make them smaller than that. I guess having one made would be cheaper than having another crank pulley made. :smmon: And she wonder's why I don't work on her anymore! :poke:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
You may have to go with a smaller pump. Have you checked the parts store to compare 5.0 pumps? I don't know if anything else will fit on there.

EDIT: You may want to experiment with the belt routing. If you bypass any other accessories with a smaller belt, you could reverse the path.

Last edited:

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I have debated going to an electric pump. Don't know how well they do on the streets though should I decide to register the car again.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Chris_H said:
I have debated going to an electric pump. Don't know how well they do on the streets though should I decide to register the car again.

It should work just fine if the GPH is high enough. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread