It's a Whole New World | 2020 Shelby GT500 | Meanest Snake Yet | How Fast Is It?

It's a Whole New World | 2020 Shelby GT500 | Meanest Snake Yet | How Fast Is It?

Ford Booth_005.jpg

Many more pics on the following pages.

It's been a long time coming. For over 5 years the SVTP Community has been eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new Shelby GT500 Mustang. We've been speculating what the car might be, and finally we know. On paper, the car looks to be an absolute Monster. She is going to arrive this spring and will be packing a 2650 Eaton TVS Supercharged Cross-Plane-Crank 5.2L V8 cranking out well over 700HP. Ford has told us the engine will come equipped stronger forged connecting rods than those found in the GT350 Mustang; which we've seen churn out ridiculous numbers on a stock bottom-end.

However, the biggest change the SVT faithful will have to become accustomed to is the loss of rowing their own gears. The GT500's 7-Speed Tremec Dual-Clutch Transmission is state of the art piece than is capable of shifting faster than you'll ever be able to. I can't say I'm all that happy about losing the clutch pedal, but I can't deny the performance advantage of the DCT. Simply put, it makes the car much faster than a shift. I'm talking shifts in as little as 100 milliseconds. You know you have a rough life when your biggest gripe about a feature of a car is something that makes it measurably better.

Ford Booth_007.jpg

But just how good is it? For has told us that it runs mid-3 second 0-60 times and sub-11 seconds in the quarter. That is blisteringly fast for a factory Pony Car. However, I happened to poke around a big and managed to coax some actual concrete numbers from some Ford Insiders. How does sub-3.5 second 0-60MPH times sound? From what I've been told, test drivers have been able to run faster than 3.5 seconds but traction becomes an issue. With all the fancy electronic driver aids most owners will be ticking off times around 3.5 seconds.

Ford Booth_059.jpg

The real news is in the Quarter-Mile times. I've been told Ford Performance Engineers have run 10.80s with traps over 133MPH. While those time are insanely impressive for a car that it perfectly happy running around VIR and out cornering every Mustang that came before it (try that in your Dodge Demon), I'm told that the guys at Ford Performance are still tweeking things. I don't have a final HP number to share, tuning is still taking place, but it looks like it's going to be in the 750HP range. The last report I got was that the current test cars are producing numbers in the 740s.

Ford Booth_057.jpg

As for the chassis and suspension dynamics, I'm going to defer to SVTP's resident S550 GT500 sleuth @Tob for his take on things:

Chassis

The big question is weight and until Ford leads us out of the dark it remains an unknown. Suffice it to say, Ford had their work cut out for them. Doesn't look as though DSSV's will make an appearance but rather the latest and greatest MagneRide technology does instead. Further refined beyond that of the GT350 and no doubt calibrated to meet most every demand within the spectrum of modes available that dictate how the driver wishes them to perform. The result of which is the "highest-ever lateral acceleration from a Mustang." Can't argue with that.

Suspension geometry has once again been revised. The front knuckles are now referred to as being "high trail" units for better steering response. The steering rack has been improved in kind to match. Lighter weight coil springs (both front and rear) replace previous designs. Michelin tires are Ford spec, in either Pilot Sport 4S or Pilot Sport Cup2's.

Ford Booth_056.jpg

Brakes are once again being sourced from Brembo. The GT500 will use a six piston caliper (even larger than that of the GT350) with the largest of any domestic sports coupe, two-piece, 16.5" diameter rotors up front (no longer cross drilled) and 14.5" rotors out back. Think about it - these rotors are larger than wheels of only a few short years ago. And with an additional 30% increase in thermal mass up front, wheel choice becomes more important than ever. Flow formed 20" diameter wheels are standard with nothing less than 20" carbon fiber wheels being available on the optional "Carbon Fiber Track Pack."

After a near 6 year absence Ford will once again be using a carbon fiber driveshaft behind the blown 5.2L CPC beast. A CF shaft ensures a smooth operating driveline as well as increased potential when it comes to handle typical drag-style shock loading as well as spinning to insane rpms when the car is topped out in high gear. Hallelujah!

Ford Booth_049.jpg

Adjustable strut top mounts will be available on the "Handling Package" (one would assume the CF Track Package as well) that will most likely ease track side camber adjustment. Clearly, Ford has been listening but more importantly they took action and have implemented instead of punting.

Managing the Air

You need to have your eyes examined if you can't see the massively ventilated hood and louvers the GT500 will now come with. But this car has far more in store when it comes to controlling how air will move in, through, up, over, and around. The upper and lower front grille opening has "50 percent more cooling pack airflow" than that of the GT350. The fenders on the GT500 are wider than previous and provide an aesthetic match to the rear.

The standard rear spoiler is new and the rear diffuser takes advantage of an updated composite material. Vehicle aero was developed and optimized in Ford's wind tunnel in North Carolina. There they refined the 31"x28" hood louver such that removing the aluminum "rain tray" will increase air extraction and downforce. No downforce data has been provided yet on the optional GT4 inspired rear wing but expect numbers we haven't seen previously on a production pony car from Ford.

Ford Booth_044.jpg

The Ford patented splitters make their debut as well. An interesting deviation from the typical canard-style hardware we have seen for years now on cars that are looking to stay glued to the track at speed.

There's so much more. Finally, after all this time we have what looks to be something to study, argue, and study some more. Going to be a long winter and spring but just knowing that the car will happen at all is a relief given how volatile the industry has become.

Thanks Ford for pleasantly surprising. This car looks to be a really good one.

All I can say is Wow, this car looks to be something special. It's breaking norms and raising the bar on what buyers can expect from a factory Mustang. I have absolutely no doubt that the aftermarket will have these cars running 9's with not much more than a pulley and tune. I know for a fact that companies like HP-Tuners and Whipple Superchargers are already gearing up for these cars to hit the streets. I'm calling it now, Lethal Performance will have a 2020 GT500 cranking out over 1,000 HP with a 3.0L Whipple blower on a stock engine and Rebecca Starkey will be out running 8's in one before you'll know what hit you. This Shelby GT500 from Ford Performance is a whole new world, and I hope you're ready to explore.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight we waited 5 years for this gt500 and maybe it’ll have 750HP lmfao talk about ford blue balling themselves. Honestly it’s depresses me to think that’s the big showcase feature is the $@@- DCT transmission. This will be a 75k car msrp because the gt350 is still in production for 2020. It’s a bad joke and anyone who buys one for over MSRP should be ashamed of themselves. This isn’t some special engine either it’s a 5.2 cpc with port injection and a blower oh man what effort
Then don’t buy it. If it stickers for 75k, what else can you buy for that and run same times street and track?

Strangely, I feel like I would take a Zl1 1LE over the 2020 GT500 if I was paying but would take a 2020 GT500 over a ZO6 if not.

Car is going to be a beast for sure! The 7 speed DCT and high horsepower numbers, even though they haven't been revealed yet, are clear indicators of that.
I'm probably one of the few, but I'm on the fence about it. Not feeling the looks of it. Perhaps the more I see of it and hear about it, it may sway me to like it more.

I am digging that 2019 Raptor though! Wow, that is a beauty! Any more photos of that bad boy?
Me too! On the fence on the front end. But if it runs very consistent low to mid tens with a toyo r888r, it will look better to me. Lol

Way less than the new GT500

This car is a failure if it makes less than 750hp and I’m sorry 10.80s isn’t that impressive when 10R80 guys are doing it with bolt ons and corn. This car was rushed and ya know it

Yawn
You don’t think this car will be a shit ton faster with bolt on’s and corn? Think a bolt ons and corn gt will hang at a track with this car? Brake anywhere close? Have any resale value at all in 5 years?

Me too! On the fence on the front end. But if it runs very consistent low to mid tens with a toyo r888r, it will look better to me. Lol
lol
True. The "plain jane" doesn't look as good as the Track Pak carbon fiber package that we're all seeing. The one most of us could afford.
I think the wheels on the Track Pak carbon fiber GT500 are the same as the ones on the GT350R, only exposed carbon fiber. Probably a couple grand each, if not more. lol

I'd really like a manual option with no nav and analog gages. I am getting older though so an auto might be nice if the knees start to go.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My biggest pet peeve has to be when people complain about ADM as if it is the true price of the car, and that one $25k markup from a single dealer means the entire run of cars are priced at that markup and it somehow becomes part of Ford's pricing. Markups are conditional and just because a portion of dealers do it does not mean people are idiots for purchasing the car early, with or without ADM. They justify complaining because they say it encourages more dealers to do it and so they aren't able to get one at MSRP anymore.

When was the last time you could get a specialty vehicle at release without markup somewhere? It has been common practice for decades. Stop acting like this is something new, and if you can't afford it at release at the prices they are marking them up then wait like the rest of us until they go down or you can find a good used one. Is your life really that inconvenienced by having to wait a few months or year because you aren't willing to pay to play? That's all on you. If they mark them up and people pay then that is the free market at work. If people wont pay the price and the car sits on the lot for months then the market has spoken and the dealer should listen.

My biggest pet peeve has to be when people complain about ADM as if it is the true price of the car, and that one $25k markup from a single dealer means the entire run of cars are priced at that markup and it somehow becomes part of Ford's pricing. Markups are conditional and just because a portion of dealers do it does not mean people are idiots for purchasing the car early, with or without ADM. They justify complaining because they say it encourages more dealers to do it and so they aren't able to get one at MSRP anymore.

When was the last time you could get a specialty vehicle at release without markup somewhere? It has been common practice for decades. Stop acting like this is something new, and if you can't afford it at release at the prices they are marking them up then wait like the rest of us until they go down or you can find a good used one. Is your life really that inconvenienced by having to wait a few months or year because you aren't willing to pay to play? That's all on you. If they mark them up and people pay then that is the free market at work. If people wont pay the price and the car sits on the lot for months then the market has spoken and the dealer should listen.

This is the exact mentality that fueled the housing bubble and subsequent crash. Do you like supporting car dealers? The whole concept of the car dealership needs to just go away. I really like what Tesla is doing. Cut out the middle man all together and end all the waste.

This is the exact mentality that fueled the housing bubble and subsequent crash. Do you like supporting car dealers? The whole concept of the car dealership needs to just go away. I really like what Tesla is doing. Cut out the middle man all together and end all the waste.

Yeah, that's illegal. That's why Tesla got in trouble for claims of selling direct to the buyers. And if you cared about anything more than just yourself you'd understand that dealerships as a whole leave a huge footprint in their local economies.

You have no idea what you are talking about either. The housing bubble was fueled more by subprime loans, so if you are going to compare anything automotive related to the housing bubble then it would be the ridiculously long term loans they are handing out for vehicles. Not markups for a small percentage of vehicles purchased by wealthier individuals more often than not.

Donny!! @

Yeah, that's illegal. That's why Tesla got in trouble for claims of selling direct to the buyers.

You have no idea what you are talking about either. The housing bubble was fueled more by subprime loans, so if you are going to compare anything automotive related to the housing bubble then it would be the ridiculously long term loans they are handing out for vehicles. Not markups for a small percentage of vehicles purchased by wealthier individuals more often than not.

I do know what I am talking about. I am well aware of the subprime loans and yes that was the ultimate root of the problem, but what fueled it was pure stupidity by the average person over-paying, getting into bidding wars, and ultimately buying homes (and cars) they couldn't afford to pay off in the first place. I would definitely agree that these 84+ month loans you can get on cars now artificially fuel the inflationary pricing of cars. I personally don't even by a car unless I know it can be paid for in cash or within 2-3 years.

I just can't imagine anyone paying ADM or even MSRP that is just pure insanity.... Its a free country, and free market though, and with all the good, comes the bad which is businesses and corporations taking advantage of stupid consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread